Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: just testing the waters here

Default just testing the waters here

so i was just laying in bed and was thinking of something that made me get up and post this. with out bashing or ridiculing i have a question..... with the amount of a little military "bashing" for lack of a more tactfull way of putting it, in many forums here, how about seeing if we can get with the mods to start a military in alaska or newbies to alaska hunting forum??? Alaska has plenty of military hunters or prior military in it, I am one of them... prior military that is. when I first started I had no clue of what I was doing. I leared by trial and error. The regs to me are easy to understand but to others might not be, or just general regs say this but what is it really like. I have seen alot of posts about this is my first time to ...... any hints? And not too many answer, me either, but perhaps if the people that want to do the right thing are searching and not getting the info this might help??? Not talking about your secret spot or formula for success but something to help guide and show newcomers what sould not be done or what gear or what ever.... Just something to help the guys that want to do right do right, by law, land, and respect for others. I have seen many of prior military guys on this site and in the field. I know stuff has changed in time but to be truthfull at sometime we were all hard charged, and still are. I am just suggesting that we start something that not only could help some one out but also teach some one something that might give hunting a better name or prevent some other local hunters from getting upset.... NOW WITH THAT BEING SAID this is not to be a bash on any military hunter what so ever.... I just want opinions and suggestions on what you think.....PLEASE NO ONE FIND OFFENSE TO THIS... just seeing if we can add to what is already a great web site..

here we go

Robbie

also was thinking that if we start a forum like that, many displaced sevice members might get to reunite as they either get out or are still here?????what do you think?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Robbie I think you have a good idea and I am sure it will help some guys and gals out.

Rob

GREAT IDEA how about Greenhorn Hunting?? If it were to happen, I'd rather see it more generic then just Military. I could see newcomers, military, persons new to hunting, women, youngsters and mentors using that forum for info and interaction.

I too dislike the putdowns, smirks, "already mentioned in previous posts" comments. Searches may not be the strong point of every member. A NEW Alaskan hunter likes the personal answers from the seasoned vets like Michael, Brian, Stid, etc., guys who've been around the block.

Personally, I bring a 40 yr love of the outdoors and hunting albeit from Michigan (Whitetailed deer and mild winter camping) to the mix and an ability to think outside the box. Possibly applying deer tactics to alaskan animals especially where the species has had more interactions with mankind. I have also served as a mentor to my daughters and three friends (30-40 yrs old) who have never hunted or shot a rifle. One guy reacted that taking his first deer was the best thing that had ever happened to him. Then he paused and said "after marrying my wife."

Keep the outdoor spirit growing...

I gotta agree nuskovich....military only would be too restrictive to a lot of new hunters but I'd be happy to see a "Greenhorn Hunting" section although in some ways it may go against Mike's overall vision that the entire site is to promote and educate people on the Alaskan outdoors and not fracture the site up any worse than it already is- cross posting is already a pretty big problem at times.

I know the "Will a .44 kill a bear" posts get old but I see a lot of people asking very intelligent questions and try to help them out the best I can. I also recognize that the search feature doesn't exactly make finding information easy sometimes.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

It is a good idea..

thing is with this site is most the folks posting/talking have a pretty good idea what Alaska is all about.. up to and including folks that can survive just about anything Alaska can throw at them..

It makes it a bit difficult for some lurkers to get answers to some basic questions..

I just posted a tread on come alongs.. pretty basic stuff.. and most here either use a come along.. or have an even better idea. My hope in posting the thread was to make information available on some basic Alaska/hunting stuff that some may benefit from.. and was also hoping to get a few new ideas myself..

your thread idea has merit.. post on..

I agree to the greenhorn idea it is more user friendly, glad to see that I was not thinking of something completely stupid

I think the Greenhorn idea holds a lot of merit! When I first came here in '89 I had thousands of questions and exchanging ideas with the old timers, sourdoughs and locals worked great. I was fortunate to have friends in Bethel, McGrath, Kotzebue and Juneau that were willing to help me out. This would be a great thread to get some of the 'noob' questions answered and frankly, help to remind me when I was a noob, how lost and confused and just plain wrong, I was then. It would allow me to share some of the understanding and compassion and even some gruffness of those who taught me.

cheechako thread....greenhorn sounds to irish....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I think this is a good idea but I think it should be called the FNG section rather than greenhorn. Not a bash on new hunters more just kind of a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    cheechako thread....greenhorn sounds to irish....
    I would prefer FNG, but that's not very PC...

I posted a question to Mr Mike about this, waiting for his response. I was thinking a sticky above the hunting forum rather than another sub forum.

I have taken several new folks out and shared a fire with them. It has been extremely rewarding to see them go on to become accomplished outdoors people. I'm no expert by no means, but have learned from all I have shared a camp with. Sometimes those lessons were what NOT to do,, but often times I have picked up tips and tactics from even the inexperienced.

It sure is nice to have a mentor to help learn the ropes here and it for sure can save a ton of time and money.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

The BIG problem with a "new guy/gal" sub-forum is that nobody (beyond the new guy on his first day or two) wants to spend any time in that area (other than the assigned moderator who doesn't have a choice). Everyone always wants to hang out with all the "cool kids" and they'll naturally migrate to where everyone else is hanging out - which is actually a pretty smart thing because that's where the knowledgeable folks are. The secret is for the new guys to keep their mouths shut and ears fully engaged. Just like anywhere else in life.

I think segregating a new forum would not accomplish the goal - nothing is really broken, so we ought to be careful about what we choose to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Claws creek View Post
    I think this is a good idea but I think it should be called the FNG section rather than greenhorn. Not a bash on new hunters more just kind of a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post
    I would prefer FNG, but that's not very PC...
    The FNG names is the best yet but something tells me we won't get it.

Just found this thread (thanks for the note, Steve!). I have a real heart for new hunters, and have spent countless hours offering whatever help I could. I counted on a lot of folks when I was learning how to hunt big-game, and how to hunt Alaska, and I want to give something back. So I am always open to ideas of what we can do on this site, to help folks who are new to all this.

Here are a few things we have done already, to accomplish this:

Hunt Planning Primer sticky in the Hunting Forum (this forum)

Alaska Hunting Section (contains intro to Alaska hunting, plus tons of links to other pages on the site focused on Alaska hunting)

Alaska Hunt Planning Section (contains tons of info on the planning process and mistakes to avoid)

Outdoors Directory YouTube Channel (contains a dozen videos so far, many of which are of interest to hunters)

Notice that all but one of these resources are outside the forums. Much of the material is these sections was written in answer to questions from new hunters, but we have been careful to write it so there is something for everyone in there.

What do you think? Are pages like those listed above adequate to meet this need, or is there a real need for another forum? If we do a forum specifically for new hunters, I am concerned that some of our members would beat them up a bit for asking "stupid" questions (yeah, it would never happen HERE, right?). So if we did that, we would probably set it up so the posts would come to us for approval first, or we would set it up the way we did the Trooper forum, where only certain members would have the ability to directly answer. I don't want it to be a mess, and it needs to create a welcoming environment for folks. I'm not sure a forum is the answer, but I am open to lobbying. What are your thoughts?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Awhh Shucks!!! Looks like it got shot down. I was still trying to come up with a good name. I was thinking about cubs, pups and calfs. Disregard calfs(they get eaten). The new forum might help with the folks that get irritated with the newbies. They can just chose to stay away from the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydog View Post
    The BIG problem with a "new guy/gal" sub-forum is that nobody (beyond the new guy on his first day or two) wants to spend any time in that area (other than the assigned moderator who doesn't have a choice). Everyone always wants to hang out with all the "cool kids" and they'll naturally migrate to where everyone else is hanging out - which is actually a pretty smart thing because that's where the knowledgeable folks are. The secret is for the new guys to keep their mouths shut and ears fully engaged. Just like anywhere else in life.

I think segregating a new forum would not accomplish the goal - nothing is really broken, so we ought to be careful about what we choose to fix.
    I agree with this and will add that the Forum is already a place to get information. If I was to "read between the lines" of the OP then I would think the OP was looking for a thread or forum where FNG'S could ask questions and not get told they are stupid for asking the question, or not feel like they are being "bashed" and that by posting in the FNG thread other AOD members would know immediately that this person has identified themselves as a FNG and to go lightly on them.

I say, screw that. Ask your question, take your medicine (good and bad) and quit whining over some hateful words that were said to you anonymously on an internet forum. If your ego is that brittle that comments on an internet forum upset you or if you even "feel" like someone bashed you for asking a question then would I hate to see how you're going to react when Mother (edited) Nature gets ahold of your behind.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 11-27-2012 at 14:18. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Just found this thread (thanks for the note, Steve!). I have a real heart for new hunters, and have spent countless hours offering whatever help I could. I counted on a lot of folks when I was learning how to hunt big-game, and how to hunt Alaska, and I want to give something back. So I am always open to ideas of what we can do on this site, to help folks who are new to all this.

Here are a few things we have done already, to accomplish this:

Hunt Planning Primer sticky in the Hunting Forum (this forum)

Alaska Hunting Section (contains intro to Alaska hunting, plus tons of links to other pages on the site focused on Alaska hunting)

Alaska Hunt Planning Section (contains tons of info on the planning process and mistakes to avoid)

Outdoors Directory YouTube Channel (contains a dozen videos so far, many of which are of interest to hunters)

Notice that all but one of these resources are outside the forums. Much of the material is these sections was written in answer to questions from new hunters, but we have been careful to write it so there is something for everyone in there.

What do you think? Are pages like those listed above adequate to meet this need, or is there a real need for another forum? If we do a forum specifically for new hunters, I am concerned that some of our members would beat them up a bit for asking "stupid" questions (yeah, it would never happen HERE, right?). So if we did that, we would probably set it up so the posts would come to us for approval first, or we would set it up the way we did the Trooper forum, where only certain members would have the ability to directly answer. I don't want it to be a mess, and it needs to create a welcoming environment for folks. I'm not sure a forum is the answer, but I am open to lobbying. What are your thoughts?

-Mike
    Mike
    How about a "sticky" with a heading: "QUESTIONS?? - check here FIRST". Or something similar. You may even want to include links to frequently asked questions - like "whats the best caliber for - brown bear, moose, sheep, etc" or "what hand gun should I buy".

Default IF we have an alska surfing forum, why not one for the milatary?

I have really seen first hand how sad it is for the milatary members that get cycled through. They spend 4 to 7 years here, spend boucoupe money and time figureing out the "when where and how" of alaska hunting. I had several black hawk pilots from Fairbanks take me hunting. They were very knowledgeable, but when their unit cycled out i was rather sad that the knowledge that they had gained went with them. It ticked me of to the point i had them recommend several new members that were rotating in. I have spoke to the fellers (and gal) about hunting. I hope we can get together sooner than later, and do a hunt. Maybe this way, if i teach a few what i know, and they pass around the stories and pictures of hunting, others may go too?

I think that we are on the correct path. The "milatary" forum should be regulated just like the womens forum. You must be admited. If somone wants to go and look around the "milatary" forum, you would have to email to be allowed to do it, and i would like to see it set up so you will not have access until you can prove you have passed the hunter education course (i live by the gate of Ft. Wainwright, i would love to go on base a few times a year and teach it.... but i would have to get certified first it would be a good way for me to say "thanks" to our sevice members)

I also think that the military forum should NOT just discuss hunting, but do it all. fishing, hiking, camping, atv, snow-goes.... the list goes on and on! Even answer the question "omg it is cold, what do i do" (winerise your car and get a remote start dude... and start pounding the vitaman D!)

I also think that other normal members here should be allowed to go in and try to help the folks in the forum. We can apply as we feel like we have somthing of value to share. Maybe we could get a Star by our names..... or a certian amount of rep points????

I feel like if the "milatary" forum's member ship is allowed full access ONLY WITH THE PROOF OF passing a hunter education course (im fine with other states hunter ed by the way) i would be super generous with what i know of hunting. I dont post up GPS cordinates and trail heads in the regular hunting forum because any Tom, Dick or Harry can run a Google search and over run my hunting spots. If the milatary forum is protected by sub membership (the proof of hunter ed) i would personaly pour my heart into it. Maps, GPS plots.... "how to field dress the moose" video.. ect ect ect.

Rather than snivel about the milatary presence in the feild, hunting, fishing or just riding ATVS lets make a forum those folks can go to. Lets teach them. They put their lifes on the line for our freedom. Im all in for a milatary forum. A secure place for people to share their knowledge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast