Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rope come along part two

Default rope come along part two

high and dry (2).jpg

It is really pretty easy to move a moose with a rope come along. As my son cranked.. I would pull the middle of the rope like a large bow and arrow.. that would move the moose a foot or so and make cranking a lot easier..

high and dry (1).jpg

the moose has been dead less than an hour.. and sitting in about as good a position as you can ask for.. water to clean your knives.. easy to work all sides.. high and dry. The entire set up.. rope and come along weighs about 7 pounds.. I lay it in the bow of my canoe, and just let it get wet.. and when you need it.. really nice to have.
    This is a pretty small moose.. but the force it took to move it is really small.. could VERY easily move a T rex if you happened to get one..

Just an idea..

Definitely agree with the rope a long.

About a year ago I single handedly dragged an entire (non field dressed) moose for about 200 feet to get it to the road and onto my trailer. It took about 3 hours with me and my rope a long. Below zero temps aren't a problem because yes, you are working that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Definitely agree with the rope a long.

About a year ago I single handedly dragged an entire (non field dressed) moose for about 200 feet to get it to the road and onto my trailer. It took about 3 hours with me and my rope a long. Below zero temps aren't a problem because yes, you are working that hard.

Yea, that's why I used the 18 year old..lol I have moved them by myself as well... shot one in Tustamena lake one year and with the help of a tree had it in my skiff.. then back to my house in one piece in about three hours..

Just thought 'd throw the idea out there.. have heard some people say they'd dread dealing with a moose in the water.. it can go fairly well. really..
    The fact you can get 100-150 foot travel with the rope come along without re setting sure makes it nice..

oohhh.....another skinny creek/canoe moose. Dang canoeists sure filling the freezer this year.

7 pound rope come-a-long much lighter than what I have. What make/model? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon77 View Post
    7 pound rope come-a-long much lighter than what I have. What make/model? Thanks.
    I'll snap a pic and get a model here soon..... I've been thinking it would be pretty easy to design an ultra light model.. maybe even one designed for 3/8" line.. shorter handle..

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    I'll snap a pic and get a model here soon..... I've been thinking it would be pretty easy to design an ultra light model.. maybe even one designed for 3/8" line.. shorter handle..
    I wouldn't shorten that handle at all. My drag I mentioned a few posts ago wasn't thru water, it was thru/over snow that was too deep and fluffy to walk over without post holing. I figured roughly I was getting about 1 inch of moose travel per handle-throw, which is like a 3 foot throw. And that was a tough throw of the handle every time.

Yip, no need to change ah thing. No need for something lighter either. Some guys were talking silly business about z-dragging moose a while back. Give me a ratchet rope instead. Some other folks were talking about buying some insanely expensive "blue steel" rope for the rope-along, but that stuff exceeds the pull rating by double! You don't even need expensive rope, any cheap marine junk will yahd a moose to dry land.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Yip, no need to change ah thing. No need for something lighter either. Some guys were talking silly business about z-dragging moose a while back. Give me a ratchet rope instead. Some other folks were talking about buying some insanely expensive "blue steel" rope for the rope-along, but that stuff exceeds the pull rating by double! You don't even need expensive rope, any cheap marine junk will yahd a moose to dry land.
    Yea, I thought about the spectra.."blue steel".. it would be way over kill. Anything but nylon(something low stretch). I've always used hollow braid.. quick splice.. does three strand work as well?

family man..

yea.. the regular come along is hard enough to crank.. I can imagine pulling across snow would be a lot like work.. but at least doable with the come along.

Yea, I thought about the spectra.."blue steel".. it would be way over kill. Anything but nylon(something low stretch). I've always used hollow braid.. quick splice.. does three strand work as well?
    Yeah, overkill is my middle name sometimes. I do use the blue steel rope and like it. Even with it, I was surprised just how many handle pulls went into stretching my non-stretch rope before the darn moose began to move. I'll stick with my non-stretch rope (also available at AIH).

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Yeah, overkill is my middle name sometimes. I do use the blue steel rope and like it. Even with it, I was surprised just how many handle pulls went into stretching my non-stretch rope before the darn moose began to move. I'll stick with my non-stretch rope (also available at AIH).

you using 1/2"?? That stuff is spendy..but if it works it works. I have 300 foot of 1/2" in the shed.. think I paid... 7-800?

deleted message

here is a 5 lb version, the extra pulleys make it easier but does slow down the progress. I would probably switch out the rope to a more user friendly grade/size and material.

http://store.workshoptools.com/merch...Store_Code=wst

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by nuskovich View Post
    here is a 5 lb version, the extra pulleys make it easier but does slow down the progress. I would probably switch out the rope to a more user friendly grade/size and material.

looks good... I agree though in the extra rope slowing the process... and the need for 2 or three times more rope.

What I like about the rope come along is the travel... basically with 150 foot of line.. I get almost 150 foot of travel without having to reset. Those pulleys would be great for getting meat high if you had to leave it..

If anyone on the forum has ever had to leave meat(make several trips to get out)... and has a clever way to get it done, I'd like to hear about it. I was faced with this challenge a couple years back.. big moose down, by myself.. one canoe. It was going to be tough to get the meat up high enough.. bear safe.. weather proof.. fly proof.. tough challenge.. I ended up splitting the moose with someone to get it all out in one trip.. I am hearing these tag bags help.. meat breathes pretty well even with the bag on.

If anyone on the forum has ever had to leave meat(make several trips to get out)... and has a clever way to get it done, I'd like to hear about it. I was faced with this challenge a couple years back.. big moose down, by myself.. one canoe.
    Sleep near the kill every night, don't leave it, or you'll loose the meat to bears. Urinate around the kill site. Every trip you take, should involve the meat, first and foremost, clear everything out of the boat except the essentials.

I took three trips to salvage caribou, moose, and then camp last.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Sleep near the kill every night, don't leave it, or you'll loose the meat to bears. Urinate around the kill site.

Mariner.. yea, I am up on that one. This year we urinated in every possible entrance to our camp/kill site.. up till then we had been being very careful.. urinating only in the creek.. keeping scent at a minimum. We had a fire all night long.. at least wanted predators to know we were there. I have also used the green glo sticks if I kill a moose near dark, and have to leave till AM.. my question was more if a guy was forced to leave the meat... for some reason.. like the guys hat just posted the video with the blown raft(turns out they had two other rafts).. but situation could arise where you have to leave the meat.. the answer is somewhat obvious I guess .. get it high, get it covered.. bags on it.. there are some creative folks here.. thought there might be some ideas on getting it done efficiently.. other ideas, concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by nuskovich View Post

Here's something more compact and lightweight... and they work!
    http://www.akcooltools.com/hitchmaster.html

Here is a couple videos of the first couple we have used a come along to winch out. These also taught me that I needed a couple pulleys to double the pulling power.

Since I'm older and smarter I use a capstan chainsaw winch now, great to have a chain saw and winch with only one motor.

http://www.capstanropewinch.com/Pics/winch2.jpg
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Rope come-a-longs are great, but another way I've moved big loads is with smaller diameter climbing rope and a set of big wall climbing pulleys. The last one being a "one-way" device so it can't slide back on me. I've used it to load 1200 lb diesel engines into an airplane, moose into a pickup bed, pull trees over, etc. It takes a few minutes to get rigged up, but the actually pulling goes pretty fast. You have to carry more rope, but it's fairly light.

Yk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast