Thread: What size or type of kayak is good for a hunting.

Default What size or type of kayak is good for a hunting.

Im going to be doing some hunting next year that involves me crossing some water what is you recommendation for hunting kayaks?

Canoes........
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have a 15 foot Wilderness System tandem that would work for medium sized big game hunts. Can't recall payload, but must be in the 500-600 lb range. One person and gear and room for 150-200 lbs of game in the front. A canoe will haul more, but the kayak is easier to power on solo trips of course. I have an Ally pack canoe that will carry 800 lbs, but considerably more work to power. Guess it depends on the distance you are paddling. Then again, you could always add a trolling motor to augment your paddle power if using a canoe. That is if the extra payload was needed for your given application. Nice thing about the Ally, it fits in a large duffle bag and you can fly it anywhere you go. The kayak will have limited utility if you travel around hunting.

Dan

If you are planning a fly-in type hunt anytime in the future you definitely need to look at inflateables by NRS, SOTAR, AIRE, and the various packraft/hybrid manufacturers.

All depends upon what you expect to carry.

I rent 14 rafts for a full blown 10 day float hunt but lots of guys will pick up one of my smaller 10-12 foot shuttle rafts for moving gear across smaller rivers and streams. I also like SOAR hunting canoes as they haul what ever you put in them and they are light!

It all depends on what you need. It is always better to go bigger than you need.

Walt
    www.northwestalask.net
    Drop Camps and Float Hunts
    Kotze

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyakadayday View Post
    Im going to be doing some hunting next year that involves me crossing some water what is you recommendation for hunting kayaks?
    Are going to be hunting from the rig, or are you using it to cross a river and hunt the other side? Big difference between the two
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    Are going to be hunting from the rig, or are you using it to cross a river and hunt the other side? Big difference between the two
    I would follow up more or less what Grizzly Man related... More details like --- is this a roadside flop 'er in to cross easy streams, flying in with certain weight/size constraints, are you gonna cart the boat all that far, what will it need for capacity, what are the safety issues plus the character of water you are venturing and your skill-sets? All this stuff will greatly aid in putting you on target.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    I will be using it more for transportation then any thing

I am a big fan of the AIRE outfitter II however I am a little bias and it is not the rig for eveyrthing. Decent capacity, reasonable price poitn versus warranty. In my opion if your looking for a Sheep/Bou type IK then it would be a reasonable choice however not the end all to save all.

Good luck with your choice.

BMR