Thread: Homemade Sheep Gear

Default Homemade Sheep Gear

Winter is a time for projects. I'll post a few things I've dreamed up and designed and my girlfriend-turned-hunting-partner made into reality for our first sheep hunt this past year. All the items worked really well.

I've lurked on this board for quite some time and thought I'd try to give something back, maybe spark a few ideas in others. If you have made your own gear, especially for sheep or mountain hunting, I'd love to hear about it.

JFKinYK

Butt Stock Basket - this is how I carry my gun on my pack. It centers the weight of the gun on the pack so the load is balanced. It is made out of an old ratchet strap and odds and ends off other packs. It attaches to the two loops on my pack (I think they are the "ice axe" loops) at the back/bottom. The forearm area is lashed under other pack straps. She mentioned something about using a denim needle on the sewing machine for this one. I'd rather not start the "gun ready for charging bears discussion." This works for me. Also, this allows my pack cover to go over my gun - a real nice bonus in the rain.

Action Coat - similar to the brand name "Scope Coat" but this has ears that hang down to cover the action and bolt handle on my rifle. It is handy when it rains or in thick brush, or even rock scrambling - to provide a little more protection. An old pair of waders provided all the material and it's hand stitched together.

Chest Pack - This is modeled off the Hill People Gear Kit bag. I didn't have this on our hunt, she just got done with it this week! The same waders provided the back panel (and makes it look pretty official with that logo!). I'll use it this winter to carry GPS, headlight, etc inside my parka when out in cold temps. The bag is an old Eagle River toiletries bag I had lying around from the Salvation Army. Total cost is about $1.25. Next fall it will carry my binocs without swinging, yet they'll be in easy reach and non-tethered for ease of glassing.

I tried to buy a Kifaru gun bearer right before we left to go sheep hunting this year. They were backordered (or custom make items). I could not for the life of me find mine. So - we took some old straps and the leather owl sewer dealy - and a couple buckles - voila - saved me about $900.00 because I had a bunch of cool stuff bags on that gun bearer order!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I tried to buy a Kifaru gun bearer right before we left to go sheep hunting this year. They were backordered (or custom make items). I could not for the life of me find mine. So - we took some old straps and the leather owl sewer dealy - and a couple buckles - voila - saved me about $900.00 because I had a bunch of cool stuff bags on that gun bearer order!
    The person that does most of their sewing has cancer and that has caused them to get behind. Patrick really cares for his employees and has really been supportive. Don't find too many folks like that anymore.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks for the ideas. I wandered what to do with old waders when they get holes in them and leak too bad to be patched. I always cut the boots off and wear them outside around the house.

Quote Originally Posted by JFKinYK View Post
    I'd rather not start the "gun ready for charging bears discussion." This works for me.
    Unfortunately it's something most of us have to consider around here......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

When I petitioned for this sub-forum, this was the kind of gear I envisioned people showing. Good job. I love the recycled stuff!

Bullelkklr - right on! Limiting consumption is great. I'm always confused when outdoorsman are some of the biggest consumers of merchandise, fuel and "stuff." We should be trying to keep the world from being overrun by factories, mines, etc. so we continue to have natural places to be outside.

4merguide - I consider myself fortunate to have to consider bears and other predators when outside. We still have the freedom to wander mountains, valleys and land where humans aren't the dominant predator. It gives me comfort to know those wild lands still exist - even more so over here in Canada than Alaska. It is one of the main reasons I moved to the NWT.

sayak - thanks for helping give us a place to share. I don't visit the forum often but will try and keep an eye out for other homemade ideas.