Thread: Fur care questions

Default Fur care questions

Say I do get lucky enough to take a lynx or wolf while calling. What are the preferred methods to care for the hide prior to getting it to the taxidermist or tannery? It shouldn't take me no longer than say 48 hours for getting it to the taxidermist and who knows how lo g to get it to a tannery.
    Who is a good tanner to use as well?

Default Fur care questions

If it were me I'd skin it out. Turn the eyes, ears, lips, paws, etc. and then salt and stretch it. If I was worried about messing it up, maybe let it freeze and let them thaw and skin. You could also contact a taxadermist you plan on going through and see what they'd prefer. I'm pretty efficient with skinning animals out myself but to ensure I didn't mess things up I took my cat in all prepped except the face. I let him do the work on that and that's something we had worked out ahead of time.

Nice thanks AK Pred. I will have to contact a taxidermist.

Yep, contact a taxidermist first. If you intend to mount your first cat and don't want to mess it up, freeze it or keep it very cool until you get it to the taxidermist. Many taxidermists will walk you through the process, so perhaps you could then watch your taxidermist skin and prep the hide. You'll learn a load this way, and then the next time around you can take your time to do the process yourself.

If you're going to get it mounted, you don't need to worry about finding your own tannery since the taxidermist will likely take care of that. If you are just going to get the hide tanned and not mounted, though, check out Moyle's Tannery's website for info on prepping and sending off your furs for tanning. I'm about to send off fur to Moyle's for the first time rather than going through a taxi on the advice of several forum members, but I'm not planning on having these critters mounted.

I would contact your taxi and see what they want. If you're looking for a once in a life time mount, I wouldn't jump into skinning without some experience or first hand guidance. I would avoid salting without fleshing it first.

I've heard several others on here on recommend Moyle's. In the past I have used the local Anchorage tannery and they did a good job but they don't like to deal with a single fox etc and they were extremely rude to my wife when she took in her first fox.

If you have the ability to freeze it right after skinning it there is no need to salt it. I'll agree with Spartan that if you do decide to salt it make sure it's completely fleshed first.

I've got a fox in the freezer I need to get tanned now and I'm trying to figure out where to take it or send it. I don't want to use the tannery in Anchorage.

For novice or advanced fur guys..this stuff works pretty well. I used it all the time when operating a Taxidermy business. Very easy to use. You could also try the Lutan tanning kits. Very easy to use.

There are many methods to use that will save you money and give you knowledge.
    http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Liqua-Tan-W160.aspx

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Tanning-Kits-C18.aspx

Good luck
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

From what I've heard Alpha Fur dressers will not take hides from individuals anymore. I guess they only take from Taxidermist now.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

A buddy of mine talked to Alpha recently, they were pretty rude to him too but they said they will take in single hides from individuals in the off season but not during hunting season or just after.

Everyone I know is sending their hides to Mink & Moyles in Idaho and loves them. I'll be sending my first coyote down to them this week. I believe their web site listed $68 for a taxidermy tan.

Took my Lynx to the taxidermist today and his price ended up being slightly lower than his ballpark estimate he gave me over the phone and that included skinning and fleshing. I was too afraid to cut on the lynx myself for a full body mount so I hung it in one of my sheds until I picked out a taxidermist. It was frozen solid over night and when I took it in to him today that was actually how he preffered it so that worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Everyone I know is sending their hides to Mink & Moyles in Idaho and loves them. I'll be sending my first coyote down to them this week. I believe their web site listed $68 for a taxidermy tan.
    Are you actually going to have your coyote mounted, or do you just want it tanned? I have mine hanging from a hook, and for that kind of display I was told by someone more experienced than myself that the dressing tan is better than the taxidermy tan. As an added benefit, it's considerably less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Are you actually going to have your coyote mounted, or do you just want it tanned? I have mine hanging from a hook, and for that kind of display I was told by someone more experienced than myself that the dressing tan is better than the taxidermy tan. As an added benefit, it's considerably less expensive.
    Brian, thanks for the advice, I just plan on hanging it like you've described. I didn't even notice the price difference, does it matter that I left the paws with nails and pads on? I also left the lips, nose and eyelids on, basically skinned it like I was going to mount it but don't plan to actually mount it. Guess I need to read some more!

Thanks again!

there's no need to freeze it either if you can find a trapper with boards and a fleshing beam! If you do freeze make sure you dont leave any skin exposed. Skin skin, tuck the head/feet/tail in and roll it up and freezer it solid (if you skinned it without doing anything further), Skins will like any other frozen goods get freezer burned if you're not careful!

if you leave claws on a cat, you may want to call moyles, you could end up destroying your hide in the tumbling process.

Most taxi's will prefer they do the cutting though as been stated......depending on your choice of mount etc, where you cut has a big influence on how much sewing they'll have to do amongst other things (mistakes lol).

To learn how to turn in general, Rich at Browtine taxidermy has a 3 dvd series covering turning eyes ears lips nose. Its relative to all species regardless of size if you are planning on mounting. If you cant find Rich holler I'll dig up his number/video info for ya. I picked up mine directly from him though I believe Larry sells it on his page also at pristine ventures.

Lastly if you're seroius about having something mounted...the best thing you can do is find a taxidermist FIRST and ask him questions, see his operation and check out his mounts. Some guys do great on one species and other things are so so..and then theres people like Rich, Skip and a few others who take taxidermy to a hole different level than most production guys. They will tell you how they want it done and likely show you how to do it! Afterall learning on the fly after shooting a monster brownie in the middle of no where is no time to learn how turn the eyes ears lips and nose!

sniper Moyle is great I send them around 150 pelts a year. You will have to have the fur stretched and dried to send to them they do not except them any other way
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it