Thread: Thoughts on Gravity-based Water Filtration Systems

Default Thoughts on Gravity-based Water Filtration Systems

In the market for a gravity-based water filtration system for base camp. Have been looking at the Katahdyn Base Camp (old standby), as well as the (relatively newer) MSR Autoflow and the Platypus GravityWorks.

Anyone who has one or more of these systems, would love to hear your thoughts and comments. Stid, if you see this, I think you have at least 2 if not all three of those systems, so would really like to get your input.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

That sawyer inline filter is pretty cheap and turns any bladder into a gravity filter.

I have the Katahdyn Base Camp and really like it. I make sure to use a settling bucket when I filter silty water and wrap the filter with a coffee filter to act as a prefilter. I use it on all but backpack trips, fill it and let it go, much better than pumping.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

+1 on the Katahdyn. It doesn't get much easier!
    Stid, how often do you need to change the filter on the Katahdyn? I used mine on a 10 day trip to Kodiak this past spring and it worked out excellent
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    +1 on the Katahdyn. It doesn't get much easier!
    Stid, how often do you need to change the filter on the Katahdyn? I used mine on a 10 day trip to Kodiak this past spring and it worked out excellent

The filter life totally depends on water quality and amount of water through it. I use coffee filters rubber banded around the main filter to help extend life and let the water I use settle out if at all possible. Love it as a base camp filter, just have to remember to not leave it on and have filtered water run out on the ground.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Another thumbs up for the Katahdyn Base Camp. I've used mine on three extended trips and have ran about 25 gallons of water through it. All clear water so far though I always have a couple coffee filters along just in case. No signs of the filter slowing down yet. Hardest part of operating it, as Steve pointed out, is remembering you're actually filtering water. It's quite easy to set it 'n forget it while doing other camp chores.

Katadyn base camp. I used it on my last hunt, last month, and it started to slow way down, so I guess it's time for a new filter. I've used it on probably 4 or 5 two week hunts now, so I'm definitely happy with how long the original filter has lasted.

Troutbum, My base camp also started to slow WAY down. I took out the filter and cleaned it and then let it completly air dry. thing were better after that but i do have problems with it leaking slowly around the base where the filter screws in. Have you or anyone had this problem too? Oh and I recommend trying the cleaning and drying before you buy a new filter because they are exspensive! cant remember how much but not much less than a brand new unit.

No, I haven't tried cleaning it. How did you clean it? As far as the leaking problem that you're having, I wonder if the O-ring in there is messed up or something.

i just took off the plastic mesh and used a soft bristle brush under running water. i let it dry for a good couple days and it was back to regular flow.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. The filter actually doesn't look all that bad, but it now takes probably 20 minutes or so to fill a liter water bottle.

Thanks guys, just picked up the Katahdyn Base Camp off Amazon for $65! One more item in hand for next year's hunt.

I have a Katadyn Base Camp system and absolutely love it. I used it year before last in a camp with 4 people. Before we were boiling our drinking water which uses propane, more or less tasted like crap and never cooled enough to enjoy drinking it. As a result none of us really drank as much water as we should have.

When I ran the first batch from the KBC, the old guys decided that if I didn't get sick or drop dead in a couple of days, it might be okay. Obviously neither happened and we always had fresh, cold, safe drinking water. I had also purchased and brought along an MSR 6L Dromedary bag that I hung along side the filtration system as a reserve. This also eliminated the need to haul in bottled water for the return trip out as we just filled all of our personal water bottles, hydration bladders and a small jug before breaking down the camp. I always bring along a supply of Katadyn chlorine dioxide tablets for purification in the event I may need to hedge my bets on the water source and filter.

I didn't bother saving and cleaning the filter itself since they are cheap enough to buy replacements for for the next trip.
    Now what ?

been using the Katadyn base camp for years, i usually just change the filter every year or every other year and i've never had a problem it drains pretty fast, not like the old filters that took forever to fill a water bottle. the fuller you get it the better it drains too...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212