Thread: Ermine trapping on the Kenai

Default Ermine trapping on the Kenai

I've had a wooden box and two flower pot sets out since nov. 10 I started with hooligan for bait, then added some coyote meat a week later and finally squirrel meat a week after that. The flower pots are on leaning trees and the box is on the ground under a tree. The area appeared to have ermine tracks in the snow and lots of rabbit, vole and squirrel tracks.

I haven't caught anything so I'm interested in some input? Perhaps what I think is ermine tracks is not or is it safe to assume if there is prey around there will be ermine?

I'll admit I didn't dye my traps because I was in a hurry (excited) but I had to pull my traps since I won't be able to check them for a while so I figured I'd dye them before they go back out. I did boil them.

I keep reading trapping ermine is for kids because its so easy!?!

Thanks in advance for any input!

Try rat trapsnailed to trees with a small amount of meat on the trigger. pre-drill the holesin the trap ( one on top one on bottom).

Thanks for the idea!

when you say flower pot sets, are these guarded with a 110? if so, that may be your problem
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    when you say flower pot sets, are these guarded with a 110? if so, that may be your problem
    I had 120's in the flower pots and a #1LS in a box, all three strung out in a 50' area. The box had some vole poop in it, no ermine.

Whats wrong with the body grips?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I had 120's in the flower pots and a #1LS in a box, all three strung out in a 50' area. The box had some vole poop in it, no ermine.

Whats wrong with the body grips?
    Cause ermine are ver adept at getting between the trigger wires and getting the bait and leaving. make sure you have your trigger set on the last notch and you might try putting a really this piece of fishing line between the trigger wires. just our of curiosity, how to you have your wires bent?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I bent each leg in a v shape, ending up with the two wires forming a wide W basically, I set on the last notch and I set it with the trigger down so they would have to climb over the trigger basically. I pushed the pot down in the snow a bit so the snow level was basically even with the bottom of the 120 and the trigger sat about 1.5" above the snow.