Thread: Set lining on the Chena

Default Set lining on the Chena

I've been set lining the past couple weeks on the Tanana. I've been pretty well. I was wondering if anyone has tried the Chena at all? I know at least where I'm at it moves pretty well, is it worth the effort, it would save me alot of gas and time if it was an option. Thanks.

Not this year but last we did well near the pump house and close to where it meets the Tanana, seemed lots of fish like to stop in down there to take a rest from the faster moving water. That my theory any how.

Thanks, much appreciated!

Good luck fish on! love me som burbot!

I'll let you know how I do, I cooked some up last night. They taste pretty good, skinning is less than enjoyable though! Thanks again.

I'm not going to ask for anybody's favorite holes or anything specific but I've been wondering if any of you has caught burbot on the river upstream of the Moose Creek dam.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
    I'll let you know how I do, I cooked some up last night. They taste pretty good, skinning is less than enjoyable though! Thanks again.
    I found it easiest to skin those slimy buggers when they are only partially frozen; not fresh and not frozen solid. The way I do it is nail them to a tree by the bottom lip, make a cut only through the skin just behind the head from belly to belly over the back, and use a pliers in each hand to peel just the skin off little by little adjusting grip as needed. Works pretty slick.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    I'm not going to ask for anybody's favorite holes or anything specific but I've been wondering if any of you has caught burbot on the river upstream of the Moose Creek dam.
    I dont believe they go up that far in the river. Most are in the Tanana and lower Chena near the Tanana where the water is deeper.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I've caught them just below Nordale, but that's as far up river as I've tried.

The reason I'm asking is that I know that there are some in some ponds up the road (modest sized but very edible) and I figure they probably came from a closer source rather than a further one. I may just go drill some holes and see what happens - nothing to lose but time and gas.

I sure wish we had some better Burbot fishing on the Kenai Peninsula.
    I saw this on another forum and thought it might help out a few people reading this.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ucation.burbot
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

The reason I'm asking is that I know that there are some in some ponds up the road (modest sized but very edible) and I figure they probably came from a closer source rather than a further one. I may just go drill some holes and see what happens - nothing to lose but time and gas.
    I've seen really nice burbs come out of 48 mile pond....ask grandpa Steve at angel creek.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    I've seen really nice burbs come out of 48 mile pond....ask grandpa Steve at angel creek.
    That's one place we always hit several times each winter. I figure they must have ended up in there from the Chena reasonably nearby rather than the Tanana, or even the Chena way downstream. I could easily be wrong about that but I'm curious.

I think they were probably planted some time ago. I've seen several in the 10 lb class come out of there.