Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Fishing Tackle and Bait Thread

Default Ice Fishing Tackle and Bait Thread

I thought it would be interesting to see what others are using. I am not an expert ice fishermen by any means. I have been ice fishing for about 25 years, but I only go about 5 or 6 times a year. Most of the time I fish I use a simple lead headed jig with a rubber skirt on it baited with some shrimp, eggs, or herring. My favorite colors are a white body with a pink head, but I have used black and yellow, chartreuse ect. Occasionally I will throw on a swedish pimple or some other bright shiny metallic spoon. I also use a jig that looks like a juvenile smolt or forage fish of some sort. I will try to post some pictures of what I use tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone else would care to share what works and doesn't work for them. I like reading some of the flyfishing threads where guys show pictures of the flies they use or make. I thought it would be cool to see what ice fishing lures, jigs, and baits people are using, what works well and doesn't work well, and what they are using them for.

My go to jig is the aero jig. This jig has caught me more fish and larger fish than any other lure/bait I take with me. I take a wide variety of jigs, and other lures but the aero jig is whats first tied on and what usually catche the most fish. Just my experience out there.

I'm new to ice fishing and have good success with swedish pimples, i'll have to try some different jigs.

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    My go to jig is the aero jig. This jig has caught me more fish and larger fish than any other lure/bait I take with me. I take a wide variety of jigs, and other lures but the aero jig is whats first tied on and what usually catche the most fish. Just my experience out there.
    Hey thanks for sharing AKnook. I know you have caught lots of nice fish out ice fishing so if you say so, then I'm sure it is a good one. I'm going to post some pics soon of some lures I have used.

Doesn't look like much but the tail moves on the aero jig is irresistable!

aerojig_aero_drifter_pink_white_88470big.jpg

Thanks again AKnook. That things looks awesome. Here are some I use

Here is a swedish pimple that I use from time to time.

Here is the lead head jig. This is usually my go to jig. I confess I catch most of my fish on this guy right here. Rainbows, Arctic Char, Landlocked Salmon

Here is another Swedish Pimple that I use on occasion.

Here is another jig that I use on occasion. Not sure what its called but I like the action it makes underwater. Looks realistic.

These are some other little jigs I use on occasion. These work especially well for those little landlocked salmon when I bring my kids ice fishing. They work best for catching all those little guys and the occasional lunker rainbow or char.

Here goes with some of my favorites for rainbows and Kokanees(landlocked salmon) as well as dollies.
    This is the best freshwater shrimp imitation I have found. Looks just like one and the fish love it.
    It is a Shrimpo jig made right here in the good ol USA. Made by Custom Jigs and Spins.

This one is quite similiar and work just as good it is called a ratso by the same manufactuer.
    This one I like also called a rat finkee.

This is a killer spoon for trout /Kokanee called a slender spoon

This teardrop jig has a slow wobbling fall that often drives them nuts. Called a Popee

For added flash and getting the lightweight jigs down fast the slip dropper is a killer idea based on tying a castmaster on your line with no hooks and a dropper line to a small jig. This is just simpler easier and its adjustable just by sliding it up or down.

I like all of these in the smaller sizes. Pink and orange work best for the jigs and I like silver with glow strip for the slender spoon.
    I started using these jigs years ago and they are bar none the best I have found in a retail store.
    Never ever paint in a jig eye and always top quality. Plus american made is always nice.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Of course lately the jigs I make myself have been killing the trout/kokanee.
    ]Here is a link to the thread.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...25565-New-jigs

And the link to Custom Jigs and Spins.
    http://www.customjigsandspins.com/index.html

These have been hot the last few trips
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post

These have been hot the last few trips

I bought some of those Acme Phoebes but haven't tried them yet. Probably work as well as my slender spoons I will have to give them a try.

Just a small single hook with some light colored marabou tied on it (fly tying style). Single pink cured salmon egg on the hook. A split shot about 6-12" up the leader to drag it down. Oh yeah... and don't touch any of it with your bare hands! Clean everything with anise oil and wear nitrile gloves wiped down with anise oil when handling the jig or bait. Human scent repels fish, especially salmon.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Sweet!!! Awesome pics and comments fellas. Keep em comin.

i must say bushwhack jack the swedish pimple silver original with the large treble looks like one heck of a dinner bell lol cant miss when they bite with that one. i tend to use flashers about 18" or more from a smal fly or jig or anything realy that is small and for the flasher a large heiring dodger works very well. the fish alway come in hard maybe they thing there is another fish after the bait. its been my go to for about 6 years now and bait has nothing on it alone but if you can add the two i found it amazing

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Just a small single hook with some light colored marabou tied on it (fly tying style). Single pink cured salmon egg on the hook. A split shot about 6-12" up the leader to drag it down. Oh yeah... and don't touch any of it with your bare hands! Clean everything with anise oil and wear nitrile gloves wiped down with anise oil when handling the jig or bait. Human scent repels fish, especially salmon.
    I think you forgot the smiley on the end of that.
    Do you seriously believe not touching the bait and drenching it in anise oil improves your catch?
    I don't worry about touching the jig or bait and I catch a LOT of fish including some nice sized ones.
    The only thing I really do for scent control is to use different gloves to deal with gassing up and using the power auger.

So, I take it you've never tried anise oil while fishing.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Gee thanks kasilofchrisn... you just made me spend $50 on ice fishing jigs from custom jigs and spins! it's all your fault
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Thanks again AKnook. That things looks awesome. Here are some I use

Here is a swedish pimple that I use from time to time.

Here is the lead head jig. This is usually my go to jig. I confess I catch most of my fish on this guy right here. Rainbows, Arctic Char, Landlocked Salmon

Here is another Swedish Pimple that I use on occasion.

Here is another jig that I use on occasion. Not sure what its called but I like the action it makes underwater. Looks realistic.

These are some other little jigs I use on occasion. These work especially well for those little landlocked salmon when I bring my kids ice fishing. They work best for catching all those little guys and the occasional lunker rainbow or char.

Pic #4 is called a Gitz-it. A very effective jig for char and rainbows!!!!!!

i love the real looking fish baits but i tend to try to find them with single hook on top and treble on bottom for use in lakes that is not single hook only i found the hook up rate is way higher being that most the big guys come up from the bottom and hit the bait on the bottom of it so the dangling treble is what hook usualy gets them. i buy the storm brand and have done super well for very large char on big lake with the neon pink 6 inch and the pike will not turn them down. i have also found that lakes that have red salmon fry can be fished very well with anything silver or white to imitate the small reds wich the storm brand has many to choose from to find just what they want very nice lures to stock up on.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    So, I take it you've never tried anise oil while fishing.
    No I have tried it the anise oil was not what I was questioning. I just think it is a bit rediculous to not touch your jig or bait with your bare hands.
    I use my bare hands all the time to touch my jigs and bait. Not that I make a point of touching them or over do it but, I don't make an effort not to touch them.
    And even though I have touched them I still catch a lot of fish both big and small.
    I should send you some of the jigs I make that I have touched. You might be suprised at what you can catch with them.
    We should hook up for a fishing trip sometime. Maybe invite a few other Peninsula forum members. I can bring a few of my jigs for guys to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    Gee thanks kasilofchrisn... you just made me spend $50 on ice fishing jigs from custom jigs and spins! it's all your fault
    No problem you are welcome.
    They do work exceptionally well. Like I have said before put a freshwater shrimp in your hand next to a shrimpo jig in 1/100 oz size in the orange color and you will instantly know why they work so well. Matching the hatch as they say in the flyfishing world.
    Their quality is unmatched as well. I would rather spend a few cents more for a quality jig without paint in the hook eye. Paint in the hook eye always has been a pet peeve of mine.
    They do sell some of their products at sportsmans warehouse for those who do not like ordering online.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast