Thread: Stand Vs Ground Blind. Which one should I pick

Default Stand Vs Ground Blind. Which one should I pick

Im new to baiting but will give it a shot this spring. What are your guys opinions on tree stands and ground blinds.

They are both effective. Be sure to keep your sent in check. I think the big difference is who has the biggest balls! A bear or worse a brown bear, on your barrel is exciting enough viewing from the tree stand. A tree stand gives better visability to see what is coming in also
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i use ground blinds... its a lot more comfortable during hte longs days and nights that are sometimes needed.. the kids are more comffy also..

dont have much to do with Balls... bears are smarter then people give them credit for... they know your there regardless of where you sit.

so lets see...

tree stand.. tied to tree, limited mobilty..and uncomfortable all day.. Unless you spend big $$$ and effort to build, buy or other..

ground blind.. most pop ups are affordable.. rain resistant, if not water proof, reclining lawn chairs to sit/nap in... jet boil, coffee cups, bag of snacks sitting between you, and best of all

you can hang the thermocell in it... and be bug proof regardless of wind direction. then you pick it up and take it home at the end of the day.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I've used Tree stand, Ground Blinds, and brush blinds... my preference is: brush blinds. simply bring a folding chair with you, Drop the Thermacell under it and watch the bait ..

you should only be scared if your bait is not set with appropriate avenues of approach taken into consideration and terrain accounted for.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Have used and do use both. It depends: if public land a tree stand can be hijacked; on private property usually safe. If a blind is chosen, it has advantages and disadvantages. Anying of value will not usually be stolen on private land, but bears can and will sometimes tear them down regardless. Bears, like your house cat or dog, mark with scent, or other means, people, things and property that they claim as their own. They are territorial. I had one bear, at least, that climbed into the tree stand I was using and leave scat on the floor while we were absent. I helped friends build a platform with a skirt and a 2-foot square door in the floor. It was built for a lady bow hunter. She used it and scored on a 165 lb male. The following week I was using it. Bears were coming and goin' all around us and one made its way up the "ladder", which was a triangular TV antenna tower, and through the "trapdoor" onto the platform and left a pile as a marker of ownership!

I prefer tree stands for the obvious reasons already mentioned: better visibility and usually less distractions... it has nothing to do with "balls".

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Maybe I'm the only one who gets nervous being on the ground. I archery hunt from a tree stand with just a side arm for back up. Being on the ground makes me nervous.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Yup, bears can put the sneak on you on the ground alright. Have had them come within a few feet in behind me without hearing them, but I could smell 'em. When I turned to look behind me, sure enough the dominant bruin for the area was checking me out at about 15 feet, hiding just out of sight in the thick underbrush! But he took off in a rush though, bowling over trees in the process. This happened a couple of times in the same location by the same bear. He was about a 350 lb black male. Fooled him once and got off a shot as he was swinging away from me but the bullet only took off an outer strip of fur and flesh. He did spend the night in ambush about 60 yards away, but got nervous in the early a.m. when 2 of us moved in on him. While he left an 8" patch of blood, it soon petered out in tracking, though I knew where he was going... into a deep, dark boggy jungle of trees and underbrush. It was excitement enough though!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

I built a tree fort. Big enough to take a nap in. Thinking about adding a fire pole this year so I can slide mega fast after getting a nice bruin!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i use ground blinds... its a lot more comfortable during hte longs days and nights that are sometimes needed.. the kids are more comffy also..

dont have much to do with Balls... bears are smarter then people give them credit for... they know your there regardless of where you sit.

so lets see...

tree stand.. tied to tree, limited mobilty..and uncomfortable all day.. Unless you spend big $$$ and effort to build, buy or other..

ground blind.. most pop ups are affordable.. rain resistant, if not water proof, reclining lawn chairs to sit/nap in... jet boil, coffee cups, bag of snacks sitting between you, and best of all

you can hang the thermocell in it... and be bug proof regardless of wind direction. then you pick it up and take it home at the end of the day.
    I was thinking the same as you and moving a metal tree stand to my bait station would be allot more work then a fabric blind.

Just make sure your bait smells better than you do.... then sit wherever you want.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

my Then 10 year old son shot one off the ground, my Then 11 year old daughter did too.. then the son was 12 and he CLICKED at one, at 4 foot on the ground .. then the daughter was 16 year old daughter had not one but 2 grizz circle her in the brush at 25 yards.. huffing and popping at us.. ( on the ground) for nearly 25 min...

but THEN the #3 daughter at age 10 shot one point blank with her .410 from the ground... ( last year)

they did awesome.. and the guides that know them.. wish they would come teach a thing or two to clients..

the kids can do 24+ hours in a ground blind.. but so far only about 4 in a tree...... you know? the need to pee is a big deal..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default from the ground

Now my kids and I would never question a person to as HOW they choose to hunt... but to be honest.. my girls are tougher then most men when it comes to bears... the boy the first time around nearly peed his pants.. the girls. are deadly killing machines. but.. if the kids can do it.....

(just picking to pick guys no offence, hunt how you will.. but DO NOT be afraid to learn and try new things... the in-abilty to TRY, is what restricts many opportunity to hunt bears in some areas NOW.

meet on face book here

Have used both. Had bears at 5' so being on the ground may not be everyone's cup of tea! Tree stands are preferred as they are much more comfy for me and allow me to take power naps without having to wonder what may sneak in while sleeping!

I sleep much better in a tree than on the ground. It comes to personal preference though, I like the trees because I have a better field of view. (remember to cut shooting lanes though)
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?” --Jack Handy

Hunted in a ground blind this year, made the mistake of leaving it. I had to look for it once, and the last night of the season (I didn't get to hunt) it got destoyed. The pros to a ground blind, you stay dry, you can keep the bugs out, it can be comfortable, it's easy, it's exciting, and everyone you know thinks you are crazy. Tree stands or better yet a "fort" gives you much better visibility, can be more comfortable with a roof and camo mesh (fort), bears seem to cope with you in a tree better so it seems I get more traffic, did I say much better visibility?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    my Then 10 year old son shot one off the ground, my Then 11 year old daughter did too.. then the son was 12 and he CLICKED at one, at 4 foot on the ground .. then the daughter was 16 year old daughter had not one but 2 grizz circle her in the brush at 25 yards.. huffing and popping at us.. ( on the ground) for nearly 25 min...

but THEN the #3 daughter at age 10 shot one point blank with her .410 from the ground... ( last year)

they did awesome.. and the guides that know them.. wish they would come teach a thing or two to clients..

the kids can do 24+ hours in a ground blind.. but so far only about 4 in a tree...... you know? the need to pee is a big deal..
    Slugs in the 410? Ive often wondered if that wouldnt be a good combo for young kids at bait range!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I have to say my preference is with treestands, that is what I grew up on in Arkansas. Hunting whitetails from tree stands. I don't build anything simple so I have resorted to building forts and add some creature comforts. Soft lawn chairs and even a roof sometimes if desired and the location permits it. I currently use a stand that is big enough for me and one of my boys to sit comfortably and run a camcorder attached to the wooden walls on the side. Makes a little more work to remove after the season but the comfort is worth it.
    Steve