Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PFD jacket ?

Default PFD jacket ?

Anybody have or have tried those PFD's that are made into jackets ? I seen them at the Sportmans warehouse today ,Was thinking of buying one. Just wanted a review
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

If you're talking about what's commonly called a "float coat" I have one. Mine is comfortable and pretty warm, so I find that I'm more apt to wear it when the weather gets bad, as opposed to wearing a standard PFD either over or under my regular coat. My regular life jackets are fine for good weather, but when the weather is sketchy I wear the float coat. Remember- if it's not comfortable, you probably won't wear it. And if you won't wear it, it isn't doing you any good.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

[QUOTE=Rod in Wasilla;98155]If you're talking about what's commonly called a "float coat" QUOTE]

Yep thats it !! I tried one on and it felt comfortable ,I was thinking the same thing, On chilly days or weather related it would work great, I always wear mine on my airboat anyway but I hate wearing it under/over a jacket...Feel like the little kid off of the Christmas story....

Thanks
    Rod That sold me, They are a little high priced at $130, But if it ever saves my life worth every penny then.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I assume you are talking about float coats? If so this is my take. Long story short, I flipped a zodiac once with my 2 boys (very young then) who were wearing PFD's. Fortunately it helped save their lives and for that as well as our friends that helped I am thankfull. A bad judgement call was made on my part by not wearing a PFD and again it wasn't my time to go either. This was 5 or 6 years ago and I haven't changed my habit of not wearing a PFD. I own lots of them but have always chosen not to wear them because they simply are not comfortable. In all honesty the only time I wear them is when I am water skiing or on a tube.

Having said all of this I would like to think maybe I wisened up a little this past winter and started looking into float coats. My reasoning for recently purchasing 2 is that I am usually wearing a jacket on the boat anyway so it may as well float and if it is more comfortable I would be more apt to wear it.

So I went a bit overboard with my purchase. For starters I tried on the Mustang Integrity Bomber Jacket in which was very comfortable and stylish although not cheap. Then I went looking at the Sterns and a couple of others I could find. I could not beleive the difference in how they are all made, fit, price etc. to cut it short I purchased my wife and I each a Mustang Jacket and I honestly can't wait to use it this summer. I have no intentions of seeing if it really floats either For my own piece of mind I chose a PFD that is inherently bouyant rather than an inflatable. If I ever need it to float I don't want a magor malfunction on my safety device. One last thing, I didn't need an expensive PFD, the typical ones already helped save my boys. I simply chose to buy the more expensive model. If my wife see's me on the boat now and I'm not wearing it you better grab your earplugs

Well I guess I typed way too slow........... I have to agree, if you ever needed it it is worth every penny as long as you were wearing it.

The bomber jackets are the only way to go for me in our cold environment. I spent some time in the water on the Yukon and there is no doubt in my mind that the jacket saved my life. Don't go for the camo or blue get a bright orange one so if you do need to be rescued they can see you. I have a blue one and after my experience the next one will be a lot more visible. The bomber jackets hold alot more heat in than the others.

The longer style float coat has the "paddle" or diper "thing" that unsnaps from the inside/back and comes under your crotch and snaps to the front/inside. I have used these on the air boats on the slope. They can really hold the core heat in (like a survival suit) if you go in. This is what I use on my boat.

Default when i was outfitting my boat

i looked at those. Was told at B&J commercial they are not coastguard approved. So you still need the approved Coast Guard life jacket for your type of boating. But they told me the same thing you guys are saying. More comfortable to wear and will wear them most likely more the than the regular type. You just don't want to get popped by the Coasties. I was checked last year out of whitter by cutter they had sitting in Shotgun Cove. You just never know. Have a good season.

Default Float Coats

Maybe you misunderstood or maybe the boys down at B&J have been smokin' but the Mustang Bomber Float Jacket is a Type III USCG approved PFD. You need one PFD for each person on your boat. You don't need to have a seperate PFD if you have an approved float coat. Doesn't hurt to have spares but they are not required.

The only caution to using a float coat over a standard life jacket is that I've heard the float coat wont turn your face out of the water if you are unconscious. I don't have first hand experience with this, just something I read.

And not all life jackets will turn you face up either.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskazimm View Post
    The only caution to using a float coat over a standard life jacket is that I've heard the float coat wont turn your face out of the water if you are unconscious. I don't have first hand experience with this, just something I read.

1 experience and it did turn the face up.

According to my USCG book it says a type III PFD may not tilt you face up were a type II will and a type I will in most cases. The type III Mustang Bomber is USCG approved and the other float coats that I looked at were as well. Any USCG approved PFD will say so on the tag on the inside. If I found a PFD in a store that wasn't approved I would mention it to the store. IMO they shouldn't be selling them.

Default maybe it was because I was only wanting

class 1 pfd's. Not sure but B&J sold me most of my gear and at that time they said they were not approved, but again could have been refering to type 1 jackets. Maybe they finally approved the float coats since 04. cool if they are, even if they are only class III's. Next time i am in there i will ask them about it.

A lot of these mustang float coats have an inflatable pillow if you will that keeps you face up(assuming you are conscious). I used to wear these for work,offshore oil rig. These coats will provide little to no insulation if you go in the drink. Every time you move, the coat flushes water through it like a seive. I have had a lot of professional training on this issue. They definately will save your life, but hopefully help will be nearby. We now use full-on insulated dry suits on the helicopter every week. Make sure whatever you buy, it is coast guard approved!

So from your training how many PFD's do you suppose actually provide insulation aside from the full blown survival suit that very few recreational fishermen are going to purchase let alone wear?

The jackets I purchased came from B&J, they are USCG approved, they don't have an inflatable pillow and are simply a type III PFD. They will provide more insulation than most other PFD's. If you are interested in all the specifics have a look. http://www.mustangsurvival.com/integrity/
    You will notice that it states they are designed to protect you from hypothermia.

What they teach is the "average" person may survive approx. 45 minutes in cook inlet. That is wearing a one piece mustang flotation suit. Of course this varies from person to person. The problem with all float coats is when you go in the water, your instinct is to swim, which causes the water in your coat to flush, therefore it never gets the chance to warm up.These people provide the training we receive every year. check them out. http://www.survivaltraining.com/

I am happy with my purchase and I will wear it because it is more comfortable than other types of PFD's that I have always just thrown under the seat. But help me out here. I understand the idea of the float coat flushing to a degree but what is the difference between that and a jacket worn under any other type of PFD? Or a float coat and any other PFD that doesn't offer any other form of protection aside from flotation?

I didn't read back to the beginning here but if I'm not mistaken the question was asked about float coat experience and I took that to mean if they are more comfortable I might actually wear it and it might actually do me some good if I needed it. This is exactly what I thought and why I bought one. Simply wearing it is more valuable than if I needed a PFD and didn't, right?

If your not for a float coat what would you suggest for a sport fishermen aside from a survival suit? I fully realize 45 min. isn't that long when you need rescued but if the coat was 5 min better than a typical PFD than wouldn't it be worth it?

Don't get me wrong,I'm not downplaying your decision at all. You're absolutely right, any pfd worn is better than none at all. I myself wear a mustang coat with the diaper on the bottom( i'm not a swimmer). My point was that the coats are not all they are all cracked up to be. Yes , they do give substantially more insulation than the standard life jacket, but in the end it comes down to how will our bodies handle the shock. Naturally, most inland lakes are much warmer than cook inlet, and of course this makes a difference on the effectiveness of the coat. My dad wears the same coat as what you purchased, and really likes it, though he has never been in the water with it, and hopefully(god willing) none of us ever will. Reasonably we can't all go out and buy insulated dry suits as they are rediculously expensive.

I understand the issue about a float coat not having much insulating value against cold water. But on deck, a float coat provides enough insulation against the cold wind and rain that I will actually wear it instead of a warm jacket. That's where the float coat shines.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast