Thread: Unit 13 Moose

Default Unit 13 Moose

Are there any rivers in unit 13 to Moose oc Caribou hunt from with a 18' John W/Jet?

nope, none .... try another unit ..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default Unit 13 Moose

There are several, but I'm not giving up anyone else's spot! Look at maps and regs and do exploring trips before season. You don't know unless you go. Just be careful there are some nasty glacial ones to stay out of, unless you have an Air boat.

Yep, north side of the entire Talkeetna River.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Take your pick. Matanuska river, Tazlina river, Klutina river, Tonsina river, Copper river, Delta river, Gulkana river, Maclaren river, Big Su river, Nenana river, Talkeetna river, Gakona river, Nelchina river, little Nelchina river, Tyone river, and many many more creeks. All of these rivers may produce moose but only some of them produce caribou. I'm sure I'm missing a few rivers but you can see that there are many choices.

It all depends on how comfortable you feel running in skinny water and rough water. You should probably consult someone who has ran the river that you choose to hunt just to make sure it is safe. It also very much depends on the water levels.

Thanks for the replys except the for the guy in a Bow Tie

The Girls in my family dont want to go to the Koyukuk so i am looking for a good girls hunt. This must be the area you hunt.

Plenty of liquid road out there in unit 13. Bring a light chainsaw, and go run skinny water. Aint many people here gonna tell yah where to go, though you wouldn't need that anyways.

Don't forget to bring a fishing pole for the kids to catch those 18.5" lunkers.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    Take your pick. Matanuska river, Tazlina river, Klutina river, Tonsina river, Copper river, Delta river, Gulkana river, Maclaren river, Big Su river, Nenana river, Talkeetna river, Gakona river, Nelchina river, little Nelchina river, Tyone river, and many many more creeks. All of these rivers may produce moose but only some of them produce caribou. I'm sure I'm missing a few rivers but you can see that there are many choices.
    Seen caribou on the Delta, Gulkana, Maclaren, Gakona, and Tyone. Gonna go out on a limb and say there are caribou on the Big Su, Nenana, Nelchina, and Little Nelchina from time to time.

Hello Mainer, all-way's enjoy your "Posts" and Pic's. And by-the-by, I've been shooting a Marlin 375 Win. since 1979, bought it Brand-New. I've shot the original fact. loads of 200grn. and 250grn. actually still have some left of both. but my go to load currently, is Tim Sundell's, ie... he owns "Buffalo Bore Ammo" I met Tim back in the early 90's at the shot show, when he was first getting started, he is a great guy, and a good friend I've been to his Carmen, Idaho home and loading facility/factory, he has on-hands control, and works a lot of the loads up personally. Anyway i'm using his-[Heavy 38-55 255grn. J.F.N. Bonded Core] ---Preparatory Build--- @2150 FPS w/ 2586 lbs/ME. I'll post some photos of that Rifle shortly. Take Care;
    The German

G,
    sounds like a potent factory cartridge you've found. I wonder who makes that 255 grain bullet? I can tell you that the weight (255 grains) is a very specific weight that I usually associate with a Barnes original. Even at 1900 fps(muzzle velocity), dang 255 grainers will still bludgeon through 3 ft. of caribou at 150 yds, here is the exit side after and extreme quartering towards angle which was practically head-on:
    Attached Images Attached Images