Thread: Remington 700 misfires

Default Remington 700 misfires

I had a Rem 700, 30-06. I bought it used, older model as determined by the cut checkering on the stock and other things. Over the years I have had some misfires. I have googled remington 700 misfire, and get only info about problems with the safety and unexpected firing when the bolt is closed or safety taken off. I had a gunsmith do the remington recommended modification so that it could be unloaded with the safety on.

I've been told a certain ammo company had made ammo with hard primers, and a variety of reasons. I never have a problem at the range, just when hunting. I thought possibly grease in the trigger or bolt got too thick when it was cold, but I took it to someone to check out and I was told there was crap in the bolt. I shot it a few times and had no problems, but recently I had a deer in the sights and only got a click and dented primer. The click wasn't too loud either. I didn''t get that deer, and didn't shoot again to see if it would work. It seemed to have a good click when I pulled the trigger when it was unloaded later.

I could understand crap in the bolt slowing down the firing pin, but I haven't shot it a dozen times since the bolt was last taken apart and cleaned out. Does anyone have an answer? I liked that rifle, it was lightweight, and accurate. I was considering getting a .308 in a Rem 700, but now although I like the rifle, I"m afraid to get another Rem 700. Dirt in trigger? Dirt in bolt? Hammer spring? Worn firing pin?

Thanks for your input.

I had a 700 problem this fall that was scary!Darn thing wouldn't fire while loaded and fired when you engage the safety to fire position.Had a friend show me a YouTube video with same problem...I figured don't mess with a trigger job and just replace it with a new one!The cold probably the reason. Still a work in progress but is my favorite gun I own and plan on finding a new .280 before next season.Hope a new trigger helps my problem if not back to the ruger #1 for me,seen alot of custom 700's that are a dream guns though,but they all had alot of work done to them.Maybe it's just in there action cause that's all that was about left of them.

Your rifle was probably stored a significant amount of time with the firing pin cocked and has a bad/weak firing pin spring. That's where I would start. I would also check the firing pin length while it's down to see if the firing pin is peened or worn, thereby shortening the length.
    700's use a falling firing pin and don't have a hammer.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

First thing I would do is teach yourself how to remove the main spring assembly/firing pin from the bolt. It really is not difficult. All you need is a flat edge of a table or big screw driver and someone to slide a thin washer or dime into the slot to hold it open. Just google it. Remove the main spring and clean it yourself. If it was not dirty I would simply order a replacement assembly from Brownells and drop it into place.

If you are reloading make sure you are not over sizing your brass, if they are under sized they can slide a little in the chamber absorbing some of the strike of the firing pin.

The last Remington 700 I owned had excess headspace, I experienced the issue with FACTORY ammo. They would have light primer strikes and if not fired often would not eject as they would slide forward away from the extractor. Once fired they would fire form to the chamber and would then eject.

My guess is you have a combination of issues, a little of this and a little of that all combining to cause your issue.

I sold that rifle and will never own another. One failure is about all I'm willing to endure.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

It is possible that the bolt handle was slightly "lifted" and not all the way down.This will cause light strikes. It would typically happen in the field and not at the range and possibly go unnoticed. The safety modification that allows the rifle to be on "safe" and still have the bolt opened will allow this to happen. The older, bolt locking safeties kept the handle locked all the way down and prevented this condition. Also the pin, cocking piece and shroud should be disassembled and cleaned. Often there is old oil within the shroud that will become gummy and especially sluggish with cooler weather. This will bear directly on the firing pin and how hard and fast it strikes. Rarely do I find one that has ever been taken apart and cleaned, no matter how old the rifle is.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    It is possible that the bolt handle was slightly "lifted" and not all the way down.This will cause light strikes. It would typically happen in the field and not at the range and possibly go unnoticed. The safety modification that allows the rifle to be on "safe" and still have the bolt opened will allow this to happen. The older, bolt locking safeties kept the handle locked all the way down and prevented this condition. Also the pin, cocking piece and shroud should be disassembled and cleaned. Often there is old oil within the shroud that will become gummy and especially sluggish with cooler weather. This will bear directly on the firing pin and how hard and fast it strikes. Rarely do I find one that has ever been taken apart and cleaned, no matter how old the rifle is.
    I'll be the first to say that I'm bad about cleaning my guns, and yet I've never had any problems with my 700. Is there a video or pics somewhere to show how to clean the pin as I never have taken my bolt apart...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The first time it happened it was between 20-30 deg, the next time it was above freezing, as it was this last time. I also just did some shooting when the temp was about 10 above zero, no problem. It only happens when I want to shoot a deer. There is a possibility that the bolt might have been slightly off, due to goin thru the woods.

Default Check the bolt body

plainsman
    I would tear the bolt down and check the inside of the bolt body for rust and old lube. Also check the firing pin and spring for binding. Visually check the inside of the bolt for burrs at the pin hole and the pin nose and body. If there was rust and dirt B4 it might not have been totally cleaned out if it was hard lube/rust. There are tools that will make the removal of the bolt shroud and firing pin and spring assembly easy. There are also manual ways that will do the same thing usually with more time and words involved. Clean the shroud and make sure that the end of the firing pin slides smoothly in and out. You could also at that time install a lighter firing pin to speed up the all ready fast lock time. You can also get heaver springs to help do the same thing. Not really needed unless there is a problem with your firing pin spring. If you are in the habit of keeping the firing pin spring compressed in storage or store your rifle butt down muzzle up then after you clean the bore cleaner and lube can drain down into the bolt body over time. A compressed spring can slack over time also just like a mag spring can loose some of its push if stored a long time loaded. Lube all with Mobile 1 5-20 or REM oil. Avoid grease to avoid cold temp problems unless you live in Phoenix.

I would think that if you heard a click & had a light primer hit then the problem lies with the bolt/firing pin rather than the Trigger/sear assembly. The sear released enough to let the firing pin move forward so unless the sear was dragging heavily on the pin there is not much interaction there. You could have a trigger/sear problem, not likely it caused a light primer strike. while you are at it clean the trigger group and lube it also in an older rifle. The trigger group is designed to last a long time the lube not so much.

You can also weld a small extension to the back of the firing pin and bring a hammer with you so when you get a good sight picture pull the trigger and whack the end of the pin with the hammer. That should take care of any old grease or rust. Just don't drive the pin into the back of the bold head so you can try it again if you move off target while whacking it.

Cary

Default dumb but safe? idea...

It is interesting to watch someone with one of the new Remingtons with the non-locking bolts try to make their way through the thick brush. The bolt handle catches on the brush and opens the bolt unless you purposely hold it closed - and that is hard to do many times. My older Remingtons and all my other center firebolt guns lock the bolt closed when the safety is on - that feature wasn't designed by accident.

Another possible cause of misfires is that the bolt sleeve may not be turned in all the way. If you leave it loose by one turn it will still function fine and fire- most of the time. I actually bought a 700 for a good price "as-is" from one of the larger gun stores because it misfired. I spotted the bolt sleeve issue and had it fixed in a few minutes after I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I'm not a gun nut, but wasn't this issue chronic with 700's, even leading to this documentary by CNBC?

www.hulu.com/watch/195819

Never had one but found the documentary pretty telling that there is an issue. I know you guys have waaaay more experience with this stuff than I so please educate me as to why this gun has such a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I'll be the first to say that I'm bad about cleaning my guns, and yet I've never had any problems with my 700. Is there a video or pics somewhere to show how to clean the pin as I never have taken my bolt apart...???
    Googling "remington 700 bolt disassembly" will get you several videos on the subject.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I'm not a gun nut, but wasn't this issue chronic with 700's, even leading to this documentary by CNBC?

www.hulu.com/watch/195819

Never had one but found the documentary pretty telling that there is an issue. I know you guys have waaaay more experience with this stuff than I so please educate me as to why this gun has such a bad rap.
    No offense meant, but this has been discussed here ad nauseam over the years....

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-saftey-issues

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...afety-Problems

The current subject of this thread has nothing to do with the other issue.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

education complete

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    education complete
    Helpful hint: the search function of this host site sucks. Use google instead; enter whatever search terms are appropriate, followed by this exact phrase: site:http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com and your search results will be limited exclusively to these forums.
    #Resist

Thanks for the help