Thread: What is your favorite "Starter" spotting scope. 200 - 400 $$$ give or take...

Default What is your favorite "Starter" spotting scope. 200 - 400 $$$ give or take...

Hi guys, what do you look for in a "Decent" spotting scope. I hate to say it but im going to be looking in the 200 to 400 dollar range. Can i get away with a cheaper one? It will be mostly used for spotting moose at long distance (like around the edge of a lake) in probbably poor light conditions. Dont get me wrong, i would *LOVE* to drop 3Gs on a Zeuss spotting scope.... but i dont have that kind of money. What do you guys think? Any that you absolutley HATE? any that you can make due with?

thanks!

Default What is your favorite "Starter" spotting scope. 200 - 400 $$$ give or take...

Your best bet will be to continue saving your money. Especially for low light conditions. A vortex viper does pretty well but will be a little over your current price point. Leupolds are not so hot in the lower end, you are just paying for the name. The vortex nomad is not a bad budget scope and is probably where I would start looking if you needed something right now, but again my best advice would be to save to the $800 ballpark.
    God is my strong fortress...
    He makes me as surefooted as a deer, enabling me to stand on mountain heights.
    He trains my hands for battle; he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.
    2 Samuel 22:33

I was in your same shoes a few years ago and it was recommended to me that I buy a Konus Spot spotting scope. I think you can find them for $300. They are comparable to other $800 scopes. My wife was amazingly awesome last year when she bought me a new Swarovski for Christmas, but if she hadn't done that, I would still be using my Konus.

If you were closer I would offer you to come over and have a look and compare the scopes. The Konus is not a Swarovski but it beats a few Leupolds I have looked through. For the money, it is in my opinion the best value low dollar scope. I'm sure you would be happy with one.

Here is a link to the same one that I have. They are selling on Ebay for $225.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Konus-20-60x...item484c1c103c

I hope that helps. ~907

My wife got me a Konus last year and I have no complaints. Great scope for the money.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/466...-armored-green

On sale here for $209.99
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Nikon for that money, Pentax for a few bucks more.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

A little higher than your price range but this is what I bought. A friend has a 60X but it is difficult to see with with heat waves and keeping it absolutly still. I like the Nikon as I have a side pocket on the pack that this fits into perfectly.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-16...ing-scope.html

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I've been using a Nikon Spotter XL II for years now and feel like it's great glass for the money. It cost me $200 on eBay and I've taken many animals with its aide. Yes, it would be nice to save money and get something nicer, but it's better to be in the woods with moderate glass than to be at home without anything.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Vorte...tics&WTz_l=PPC

I've got one and bought one for my son. Very impressed so far especially for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've been using a Nikon Spotter XL II for years now and feel like it's great glass for the money. It cost me $200 on eBay and I've taken many animals with its aide. Yes, it would be nice to save money and get something nicer, but it's better to be in the woods with moderate glass than to be at home without anything.
    Yep.....been using mine for many a year too. Besides the relatively good glass itself, I also like how fairly light it is. When I bought it a friend and I compared it to his big Leupold. Both of us agreed the Nikon glass was a bit brighter and clearer.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I've got a Leupold Green Ring 15-45x60 kit for sale. $200. PM me if interested.

I got the Nikon 16-48 for moose hunting. Been very happy with the scope for the price.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

We have a Leupold Gold Ring Mini, I call it the Mini I'm sure it has another real name, but it's the itty bitty and a 10-20 or 15-30 on sale at the shop. It is smaller than most binoculars and a Gold ring not the cheaper stuff. Seem like it would be nice for a backpack sheep hunt. Anyway it's 259$ right now.
    Other than that I don't really know, I don't spend money on optics like I should, usually borrow Binos bad as it is. Guess I'll break down and buy a spotter some day.

As a starter scope I bought a used Leupold GR fixed 25X maybe 10 years ago and it was a well spent $200. I think I'd look first for a used scope (Leupold, Nikon, etc.) in your price range.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I'd look for a Nikon Fieldscope on ebay. I bought a few of these over the years. I was able to come out ahead on them via craigslist in Anchorage. I did this with 4 different spotters over the years, each time upgrading a little. Last year...with a lot of saving...I got a Swarovski 65HD on ebay. Now I'm done upgrading for a while.

I'm very happy with my redfield rampage. Been using it for a few years. Fantastic glass. And if I recall right around $200

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

nikon 20-60x80
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

The vortex nomad is a decent scope for the price and is being discontinued this year so the price will be even better. Vortex is going to come out with a Diamondback line of spotters that will be mid range in both price and quality between the current nomad and viper series spotters. Apparently they will be 20-60x60 and 20-60x80 but they might have been mixed up on the 60mm obj magnification when they told me about it. It shouldnt have the stupid rail like the viper series. Msrp on the 60obj will be around $400 and around $500 on the 80obj. Street price as usual would be lower. I got all this by asking them on another forum. I can post the pm's if anyone is interested.