Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Unit 15 wolf

Default First Unit 15 wolf

Went out this morning at -3 to a lake with lots of good sign and it was a picture perfect setting....was calling with my foxpro for exactly 5 min before this 85 pound female came out in a trot. One shot and she was down....sat there for another 15 min. to see if anything else would come out but no luck. Has anyone had luck with sitting around after shooting a wolf or anything? I thought i would try it but nothing came.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wolf 1.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	65786
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wolf.jpg  

Nice job! Did you hike in, snowmachine in, drive or what? You don't get that opportunity every day!

Awesome...love seein a wolf out of the Kenai....how was her hide...

I hiked in about 1/2 mile...hike was great...not rubs or mange on the fur! dont know if it because of the really cold weather that she developed a good undercoat or i just got lucky....

Nice job! What were you using for gun/ammo? What call on the foxpro brought her in?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

NICE!! Great photos, big smile! I bet you are one happy camper! It is nice to see these threads w/ people having some success. Another good way to start the day. Thanks,
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by supateg View Post
    Went out this morning at -3 to a lake with lots of good sign and it was a picture perfect setting....was calling with my foxpro for exactly 5 min before this 85 pound female came out in a trot. One shot and she was down....sat there for another 15 min. to see if anything else would come out but no luck. Has anyone had luck with sitting around after shooting a wolf or anything? I thought i would try it but nothing came.Click image for larger version. 

Excellent...!!! Can I ask what part of 15?.....it's a pretty big place. Really glad to hear the hide was in good shape. I think that's the second one I've heard this year that had a good hide. Last time I was a bit south of Kasilof I saw a lot of sign. I think a bunch of moose might have rutted in this one spot again this year, but this time it brought in a lot of wolves. This was after the first snow, and I haven't been back, so there's no tellin' if they're still around by now.

We really need to put more of a dent in these critters....good hides or not...Congrats...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Last time I was a bit south of Kasilof I saw a lot of sign. I think a bunch of moose might have rutted in this one spot again this year, but this time it brought in a lot of wolves. This was after the first snow, and I haven't been back, so there's no tellin' if they're still around by now.

We really need to put more of a dent in these critters....good hides or not...Congrats...!!!
    In going with the idea that posting locations on this forum will flood an area with hunters..........you should post a more detailed location of this area, 4mer, so as to flood it with wolf hunters!!

I'm sure the Kenai Refuge folks are worried you will "over harvest" the wolf population now, supateg!! Let's hope you are successful!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Mj- I was shooting a 22-250 w/ 50 gr Hornady super performer bullet. It did excellent and only the entrance hole and no exit so that was awesome! I had the hare in distress call goin when she came in

4mer- I was in 15a north of sterling.

Yep, nice looking wolf alright.
    "Grin and Bear It"

4mer- I was in 15a north of sterling.
    Thanks...... I remember a few years back F&G really wanting people to hunt them. And out that direction they were saying was a good area. I would think anybody could head out Swanson River road and take a small hike in and have a chance at seeing something.

I don't know if Mystery creek road is still open, (should be but they seem to close it at all different times) but that's another place that I think a guy could get lucky.

Way out Funny River should be another place. Out around Brown's Lake.

As far as the area that I saw sign......15C just a little south of Kasilof. I actually used to do some calling out at the mouth of the Kasilof where it flows out of Tusty. Seen sign out there before as well but never killed anything. Last year we saw all kinds of sign and stayed out freezing to death almost all day, but we weren't lucky. I really think that with wolves, they cover such vast distances, no matter how much sign you see in one place, it's still gonna be pretty much hit or miss to catch one coming through. Here today....gone tomorrow. It's all a matter of how much time a guy wants to put in.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Good job on the wolf. Keep after them.

What was the shot distance?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Default Re: First Unit 15 wolf

I called mystery creek earlier this week and the road was closed. Called one coyote but no shot and got about four others to answer but wouldn't come in. It's really hard to find an area out there to call in its all really tight within walking distance.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

well played,.. you put him down! and that my friend is a nice hide to tan and throw up on the wall,..its not every day you get a chance to bust a wolf and you sir are a sportsman

Good job Supateg. I hope you get some more. To answer your question, I have actually had success at calling after a shot, but that was with fox. I called, shot, and then called in another fox. That was only on 2 occasions. It doesn't happen often and I think that wolves are pretty smart, but you never know. ~907

Nice job, now if about 30 more of these were taken in 15 we would get them down to a more reasonable level. ADFG has a map in their office that shows where the various packs were last fall during an aerial survey of wolves. Although it is outdated information it is a good place to start looking for wolves on the peninsula. Regarding the condition of the hide, I was always told to harvest unit 15 wolves before January if you want a good hide. The later in the season you wait the worse the hides are.

Is that map viewable by public? It would be cool to go in and look at that sometime. I was talking with my taxidermist tonight and he also said the same thing about the fur as well as that he hasn't gotten a wolf from the Tustemena area that had a good hide on it. Seems like the lice got to them pretty good

Default First Unit 15 wolf

Congrats and nice job!

About your question. If you call in a wolf, shoot and kill it, leave the wolf, pick up your call and move location, within a few hundred yards or 1/4, just so that the call sounds like its coming from a different location. Then sit and call again. This only works if there are wolves around, obviously. And to help you find that out, if you call in a wolf and kill it, the best thing to do is to start howling as best you can to imitate a good wolf howl, try deep and higher pitched howls. If there are wolves close, and especially if they were in a pack with or traveling with the one you shot, than they will answer back. That is when you want to pick up and move as fast and as swift as possible to start calling from a completely different direction. You want to howl though or use some of the lone wolf sounds on a fox pro, or wolf in distress, that is what will get you another wolf coning in if they are near. i don't think i would try using the hare distress. Honestly just try to be a wolf, sounds weird but if you want it done than you gotta make it happen and that'll be your best bet from my experience. Been there, done it, failed and succeeded. Here's one day of what I call succeeding in picking up and moving after every kill
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355820290.243264.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	66468

wow thats awesome! I will have to give it a try....im sure if i tried to howl like a wolf then it would end up being a loud yell because im so pumped! Hahaha...thanks for the tip and i will definitely give it a try!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast