Thread: what to do with a Mosin-Nagant?

Default what to do with a Mosin-Nagant?

I was given a Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R. It was in a garage in a case and got water on it and got rusted. I scrubbed off most of the rust then looked inside the barrel. It is quite "fuzzy" inside the barrel. I scrubbed it a little too but then wised up. I came to the conclusion that I am not comfortable shooting this rifle and am not willing to put any more work into it, let alone any money. So, what should I do with it? All the pieces and parts are functional including the stock, sling, trigger, sights and bayonet. Is there a market for Nagant guts? Can the barrel be salvaged? Maybe some preper cult? My inclination is to put it 1000 feet into salt water this spring.

On a side note. This project has opened my eyes to WWII era rifles. I can see why the Nagant was such a work horse for the Russian Army. It is simple and cheap and can be produced in the gazillions. The trigger mechanism is as sophisticated as a BB gun. I bet this gun would go boom and shoot as accurate as it does pretty much no matter what. Still, not worth risking it in my book.

You could send the parts to Stranger! I'm sure he could put them to good use!
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

If you don't want to keep it sell it. I'm sure somebody would take it. They make a pretty serviceable truck gun if you put a set of sights on it and cut it down to 20" or so.

If you want to sell it for the sum of parts, the wife is in need of parts.

A working referrb in the grease go's 130$ retail.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

In the condition described it would sell for $50-$70 where I live. Somebody would buy it for parts, probably put some labor in it and have a useful truck gun.

Hi I need one for a project gun to rebarrel...Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    My inclination is to put it 1000 feet into salt water this spring.
    That sounds like a good idea. I don't know if some folks had a few too many beers before looking at one of these rifles, but good grief!.......Gotta be the most crude, butt-ugly rifles I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    That sounds like a good idea. I don't know if some folks had a few too many beers before looking at one of these rifles, but good grief!.......Gotta be the most crude, butt-ugly rifles I've ever seen.
    I have taken apart a few rifles for cleaning, but am no expert by any means. I agree, crude, simple, ugly. In a nut shell function over form. Not a rifle I care to have in my quiver, no matter what condition.

I did just inherit (literally) an 8mm Mauser in really good shape. I am intrigued by that gun and am planning to do some shooting with WWII era guns. I also have access to an A303 that is also in decent shape. We will see how they do head to head. I had some pipe dreams of using the Nagant as well to have all 3 side by side. No way now.

I think I have the Nagant parts sold to Stranger. We will see how the logistics go. At least I know somebody has use for the guts.

And yet Stranger takes more game with his than probably 50% of forum membership combined.Glad Chip don't have a good gun or there would be nothing left in the state to shoot.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    And yet Stranger takes more game with his than probably 50% of forum membership combined.Glad Chip don't have a good gun or there would be nothing left in the state to shoot.
    Good point. I do admire his posts and fortitude. I would love to see his wife make all this stuff into a serviceable rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Amigo Will again..........stupid rule.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Great gun to customize if if you can do a little welding on the bolt to accomodate a scope. Accurate shooting gun if you loose the factory open sites and make it a plain ars scope gun. If you get into it, load your own bullets and don't use the corrosive cheap selling surplus loads in it unless your into soap and water washing your barrel out every time you use it. I worked up some RL-17 loads for mine and it's right up there with my 06, not so sure it ain't more accurate even. Still in test mode here, but will post my results when I have everything cut and dried.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I'm always amazed at how people view various guns and rifles. Tastes vary, but in my opinion form follows function.... well, at least to a certain extent. I will never be an AR fan, and don't much care for the looks of thumbhole stocks or the pointy trigger guards on Thompson Contenders. But to each his own and vive la difference.
    As for the MN, well I had one until I sold it to my son. I had a good time with it and respect its history, but I lost interest. I still like to see what people say about them and what they do with them. That rifle certainly has some loyal fans, especially the Finnish variants.
    I recently bought a rifle people love to hate and demean: the Ruger American. I actually like the way it looks, and I love the way it shoots, but man... the thread of a while back included statements about puking all over the keyboard after looking at one. Having been a fairly conservative wood and blued rifle person for years it is a departure for me, but a good one.

Wink

[QUOTE=Daved;1209578]I was given a Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R. It was in a garage in a case and got water on it and got rusted. I scrubbed off most of the rust then looked inside the barrel. It is quite "fuzzy" inside the barrel. I scrubbed it a little too but then wised up. I came to the conclusion that I am not comfortable shooting this rifle and am not willing to put any more work into it, let alone any money. So, what should I do with it? All the pieces and parts are functional including the stock, sling, trigger, sights and bayonet. Is there a market for Nagant guts? Can the barrel be salvaged? Maybe some preper cult? My inclination is to put it 1000 feet into salt water this spring.

If you are new to the domain of The Mosin Nagant. What to do is not a bad question.

High cards for the everyday infantry M91/30 is fun, inexpensive to obtain (in your case free), low-cost of 7.62x54 ammunition, trigger time, experimenting, learning, accessorizing, collecting, and so on.

If you feel uncomfortable with the rifle and find stuff that's for some reasoning out of order or unsafe based on your familiarity... easiest to send 'er down the road to a person with more experience on these matters. Serviceability to whatever degree from a positive sense you have nothing but some cleaning and learning vested in the firearm.

Been there done that notion... Please do not take this as an insult, but your side note (and some others reply) suggests only a superficial real word knowledge or experience with the Mosin Nagant and variants. Oversimplification on the subject and these rifles would be historical foolishness to a large degree.

My suggestion is to go out and find a clean unissued or arsenal refinished M91/30 piece of history and take the base-line start-up from there. It will for certain be fun, affordable, a learning curve, and more appreciably eye opening than some on here would relate. Get a real shooter of some collect-ability at a bargain and it will be even more rewarding. From a practical aspect, here in Alaska I'd put a straight shootin' Mosin Nagant on steady ground to a host modern day rifles.

Food for thoughts... Hmmm? Makes some of us wonder what you may have hiding under all the rust, but that is the question for another day. To give you an example, my first Mosin Nagant 15-20 years back was a crap shoot from a large distribution house along the lines of a no-hand-picking from a crate --- when arrived it was a SA marked hex receiver VKT m91 for $75 shipped to Alaska and a good shooter! Often distributors to store owners know not 100% or take time to see what's inside the crates. Lately, I've seen several ex PU re-arsenal snipers turned back to infantry configuration. Several months ago real refurbished PU snipers were available in small numbers (not bubba-gun versions or fake representations!!!) Finn guns are often excellent shooters and of exceptional value due to Finnish quality standards.

Working guns may always have a need for parts guns... your gun is no exception and what can be salvaged deemed economical indeed should be.

Don't sweat sending this rusty project down the road, yet reconsider owning a rugged and reliable Mosin Nagant and get to know it. A good one will keep up with the Mauser K-98 today just as did years ago.

Cheers -

Throw the bayonet on it and use it to roast marshmallows.