Thread: Backingline

Default Backingline

When spooling braided line what do you use for backingline like 20lb. Or do you spool it without it?

To each their own I suppose, but using backing will allow you to use less braided and will help prevent the line from slipping/spinning on the spool.
    On my saltwater reels I'll fill then to about half capacity w/ a heavy Mono or preferably a heavy Dacron line then top them off with a couple hundred yards of the good stuff.

Thin the key really is getting that line on the spool tight so as to prevent it from slipping.

i drill two very small holes in my spools and run the line through it 3 times and pull tight and then proceed with spooling and at the end take off your spool and clip the extra smooth it will never slip or spin on you i had to find a way to keep it from spinning as most of my reels are small and backing will just alow less line and i am very hooked on braid. the only time i would put backing on a reel for ice fishing at least would be if it was a fly reel wich holds tons of line or a tip up and then i use backing that is much smaller then my main line but just about 10 feet of it so when i get spooled if i do it wont break my tip up

I put a solid covering of light mono as a backer so I dont waste any spool space, then I fill the rest of the spool with the braid. Try the berkley nano-fil...

Not trying to be a turd, but what is the point at all? Mono is thicker then braided and is not nearly as strong. Forgive me if there is something I don't know, I just don't see why you would put a weaker backing to a stronger line. Is there a reason to this that I'm not aware of?

Default Backingline

The backing isn't ever intended to see the light of day again. It's just filler on the spool because braid is so thin. That way you're not putting 300 yards of the good (expensive) stuff on just to fill the spool. Especially with overfishing where most of us (laker fishers excluded) seldom need more than 50 feet of line. You can just skip the backing and put on only what you need for braid and it may or may not affect the noticeable difference in your reel performance.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

O, ok I see.

If you just put the braid on a smooth spool, it will not grip the spool and it will spin if you do not tape it down or put the mono on first. I just put some black electrical tape on the spool if I want to fill the spool with the braid, it gives it a little bite so it does not spin on the smooth spool. the lack of stretch with the braid is what lets it slip on the spool. The electric tape give it something to bite into.

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    If you just put the braid on a smooth spool, it will not grip the spool and it will spin if you do not tape it down or put the mono on first. I just put some black electrical tape on the spool if I want to fill the spool with the braid, it gives it a little bite so it does not spin on the smooth spool. the lack of stretch with the braid is what lets it slip on the spool. The electric tape give it something to bite into.
    I use braided Power Pro on my salmon rod, and have never had it spin (slip) on the spool. I have used it for at least 6 years on my salmon poles too. Maybe I have just been lucky and or maybe in the cold it acts differently I dont know, but I do know on the salmon rod it doesn't. Does the cold cause it to get "slicker" for a lack of a better word when its cold and frozen?