Thread: Material type for solids?

Default Material type for solids?

Does anyone know what grade of brass is used by Barnes for their banded solids? I was given a couple boxes of these and was curious if they harmed the bore at all? I know the ATF has stopped the making of them but why haven't they stopped Cutting Edge bullets? Do they use a softer type of brass or is it because they are hollow points? The Barnes look like standard yellow brass but realize this is only a visual assessment not a material analysis. Anyway was just wondering if standard off the shelf bar stock is different from the bullet manufacturers and why one company is banned while the other is still producing?
    Thanks,
    FS

Iíve never even looked at one but I assumed they were copper, which is much more malleable than brass. Brass is an alloy, there are countless recopies for it and most look about the same to my eye. If they are brass you could use a hardness tester to narrow it down a lot.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by FootedShaft View Post
    Does anyone know what grade of brass is used by Barnes for their banded solids? I was given a couple boxes of these and was curious if they harmed the bore at all? I know the ATF has stopped the making of them but why haven't they stopped Cutting Edge bullets? Do they use a softer type of brass or is it because they are hollow points? The Barnes look like standard yellow brass but realize this is only a visual assessment not a material analysis. Anyway was just wondering if standard off the shelf bar stock is different from the bullet manufacturers and why one company is banned while the other is still producing?

Thanks,
    FS
    Really? How did they do that?

I think they are technically bronze. Which is Copper and Tin vs Brass which is Copper and Zinc alloy. I have some of them in a couple of calibers and also some of the TBBC bronze solids with lead core over a very thick (1/3 caliber) jacket. I don't think they will harm the bore any more than any copper jacket. I didn't know they were restricted in any way.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MCJonas View Post
    Really? How did they do that?
    It's common knowledge how they stopped them. Here's the LINK
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

They might of stopped Barnes from producing a specific bullet but there are plently of companies still making solids. Couple off the top of my head are Hornady and Woodleigh as well as CEB.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Well, it wasn't so common for me. Thanks for the link. I don't think they should have that power.

I've used the Woodleigh and Trophy Bonded solids and they will penetrate anything a Barnes will. Did the ATF stop them too?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MCJonas View Post
    Well, it wasn't so common for me.
    Yeah I guess you and me must really be lacking in the "common knowledge" department eh???........lol.

It's hard for me to understand how anybody can say something like this. Why didn't he just say......"any idiot should know this" ???

sheesh.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yeah I guess you and me must really be lacking in the "common knowledge" department eh???........lol.

It's hard for me to understand how anybody can say something like this. Why didn't he just say......"any idiot should know this" ???

sheesh.......
    His original comment came across to me as "There's now way this is true. How is it possible that the ATF can do such a thing!" A curt retort seemed appropriate at the time; in fact, from my persepctive it still does.

My comment was just how it read: it is common knowledge in that Barnes announced it through various outlets months ago and there has been no attempt to construe it otherwise. Lots of things are common knowledge, but that doesn't mean everyone knows it nor does it mean that it takes an idiot to be unaware. Common knowledge and commonly known are not the same thing, but that's beyond the scope of the OP's question.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

1Cor15:19 is a solid contributor of good stuff on this forum. I've never seen him attack anyone or make a foul comment. I doubt his comment was intended to offend or to be taken in a negative way.

His original comment came across to me as "There's now way this is true. How is it possible that the ATF can do such a thing!" A curt retort seemed appropriate at the time; in fact, from my persepctive it still does.

My comment was just how it read: it is common knowledge in that Barnes announced it through various outlets months ago and there has been no attempt to construe it otherwise. Lots of things are common knowledge, but that doesn't mean everyone knows it nor does it mean that it takes an idiot to be unaware. Common knowledge and commonly known are not the same thing, but that's beyond the scope of the OP's question.
    Barnes Bullets is just the next state over from where I live and I have shooting/hunting buddies who work there and they were unaware of the ATF interference in Barnes business. All they knew was that the machine that ran those has been shut down for a while but it doesn't always run anyway so it wasn't such common knowledge for the employees.

I thought the point of the OP was about the composition of the Barnes solids and if the might harm the bore. I tried to answer that, I don't think they harm the bore.

It's funny how such a bureaucratic maneuver goes unnoticed by the gun press. And some say we have no reason to fear the loss of our 2nd amendment rights.
    Mike

A few years ago the most accurate 50 BMG bullets were made by a company called Thunderbird; they were made fron a soft steel and thousands were shot at long range targets by the FCSA with no detriment to barrels or accuracy. During the 30's-50's the british 303 used a jacket made from cupra-nickel, much european military ammo has steel jackets. A bullet made from copper to bronze alloy will function in most rifles, fouling may be unacceptable with some alloys though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Today I was able to test both samples of the Barnes solids that were given to me. The 165gr. 30 cal solids are c360 brass and the 75gr. 6mm solids are c377 brass. Not sure if there is a reason for the difference or just a bulk price opportunity for Barnes. In other words, nothing special to it. So, everyone can now run down to their local cnc machine shop and have a pile made up...

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

sheesh.......
    No worries guide,

Cor didn't mean anything by it. He's just quick to inform, sometimes words across a screen might impact someone differently than if they were spoken. Cor is a stand-up guy who always brings civility to this forum. Can't say much bad about him, except lately, he's been hit with a hard case of "magnumitis" It's "common knowledge" that with his hunting skills, he don't need those massive cannons!

The letter is dated January 2012. What was the outcome of the "exemption request petitions" that Barnes submitted.....has there been a ruling?