Thread: No light down deep?

Default No light down deep?

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/light_travel.html

There seem to be comments ad nauseum about light down deep, covering shrimp pots, fishing lights etc... One set of comments that struck me the wrong was was dealing with covering shrimp pots. The comments that threw me were "I can't see that deep, there is no light at 600 ft." Well, maybe there is. What you perceive isn't the same as sea creatures or animals. That is like comparing your sense of smell to a dog or bear, eyesight to a hawk or eagle. You get the idea. I'm not saying that covering stuff or using lights will help, but I am saying there is light at 600ft.

Not trying to be funny but if there was not any light down there, then why does God give them eyes. They have to have some use for them. Maybe they don't see like we do, but they must see something.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

God also gave people brains, but some don't use them either
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Not trying to be funny but if there was not any light down there, then why does God give them eyes. They have to have some use for them. Maybe they don't see like we do, but they must see something.

Photic zone depth fluctuates with a whole pile of environmental conditions, but the two that affect it most are plankton biomass and turbidity. In the fertile nearshore environment of the Northeastern pacific, light will occasionally (and seasonally) penetrate significantly less than 660ft.