Thread: Winchester XP3 vs Failsafe bullet performance

Default Winchester XP3 vs Failsafe bullet performance

I used the .308 Winchester Failsafes several (ok, many) years ago and these were one of the best bullets I've ever seen for "on-game" performance in the .308 Winchester. I had a nice run of uniformly dead critters with them and they performed great in the .308 velocity range.

Of course, discontinued, my stock depleted and they're long gone now- Winchester replaced it with the XP3 bullet which has been out a while now. Have many of you folks used the XP3 on game and found it to be comparable to the old FS? I tried them in my .300WSM and my rifle just plain didn't like them- so I never got around to killing anything with them and eventually traded them off.

I'm setting up a new .308 rifle for my son and so far it doesn't like Accubonds- which is unusual since I've gotten them to shoot lights out in everything else. I'd like to get the rifle zero'd with one good premium factory load without resorting to trying a half dozen of so. Figured I'd start on somewhat familiar territory.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I no longer and looking for new bullets to try. Nothing i have used has out done the good old Nosler Partition. Great bullets all the way around. I have never had one fail me yet. Also its 10% bullet and 90% where you put it.

If you want to use Failsafe bullets your best bet is to hit the gunshows. Not a badly constructed bullet, my experience with them though was less than desired in the accuracy department. It passed on its genes to the improved Partition-Gold bullet which also had the steel cup around the rear core like the Failsafe, however I believe they are now discontinued as well.

What substitute reloading data were you using for the fail safe bullets? I've looked everywhere and can't find any data to go off of and I got a few hundred .308 180gr failsafes that I picked up recently. I want to see how they do in the 300 RUM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    What substitute reloading data were you using for the fail safe bullets? I've looked everywhere and can't find any data to go off of and I got a few hundred .308 180gr failsafes that I picked up recently. I want to see how they do in the 300 RUM.
    I was using Winchester factory loads....you might have a hard time digging that data up.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I shot a whitetail with a 180gr Black Talon (Fail Safe) in a 30-06. Little hole going in, little hole going out. It was successful only because it was a heart shot. I think it was designed for bigger game and where bone is involved.