Thread: Gosh Darn It!!!

Default Gosh Darn It!!!

I shot a lynx today and it got away. I am sooo bummed. Fortunately I think I only grazed it. I only found a few drops of blood and some hair. I tried to follow its tracks in the snow but there were too many lynx and hare tracks and not enough blood to follow it. That, and the tracks led down into a steep nasty ravine and it was getting too dark to try to keep following it into no man's land. To make a long story short, I was thinking about taking a 2 day road trip to look for some small game and some fur. My plans got cut short when my hunting buddy cancelled on me. So instead I decided to go to my usual rabbit hunting spot to look for some bunnies. I brought the e-caller along just in case. I took a back road with very little traffic on it and starting seeing a bunch of lynx sign overlooking a nice area. So I parked about a 1/4 mile away from where I was seeing all the sign. Hiked in real quiet and set up where I was overlooking the area. The only trouble was is that the best vantage point was closest to the road so I didn't go very far off the road. I set up the caller and about ten minutes later I started glassing with my binos and sure enough there was a lynx about 80-100 yds. away in the thick brush. I couldn't get a good shot from my position because I could only see his head and neck and not only that, but I forgot my monopod at home (I'm still kicking myself for that mistake). So, I waited for a better shot. He just stood there watching me for about 2-3 minutes (which seemed like 20-30). Then all of a sudden I heard a truck coming up the road. I knew I had to take the shot soon or else this lynx was going to take off. I saw the truck and I waved to the two guys to stop. They immediately stopped. I went ahead and took the shot. First shot was a clean miss. The lynx was still sitting there! I racked another shell and this time I told myself to focus, concentrate, breath... Bam. the gun went off and I saw the lynx take off into the bushes. I went over to the guys in the truck and told them the whole story. They kept telling me sorry that they ruined my shot. I told them not to worry about it. It was nobody's fault but my own. Anyhow, hindsight I should have done a lot of things different and I probably should not have taken the shot. You know how it is when you get that buck fever. I am pretty sure the shot was not fatal.

what were you shooting with? a .22?

Hey there Bushwack Jack!

If you get up north I'll partner with you. We are down since Wed. but have to run back again Sunday morning early. My Fox Pro and calls are up north. Sounds like you got in to more than one lynx. A scratch and some fur off probably didn't hurt it too bad. Cats hurt each other worse than that. We had a great family Thanksgiving here the last two days. Hope you did too!
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Woodsman View Post
    Hey there Bushwack Jack!

If you get up north I'll partner with you. We are down since Wed. but have to run back again Sunday morning early. My Fox Pro and calls are up north. Sounds like you got in to more than one lynx. A scratch and some fur off probably didn't hurt it too bad. Cats hurt each other worse than that. We had a great family Thanksgiving here the last two days. Hope you did too!
    Hey AK Woodsman. Sounds good man. If I get up North I'll get in touch with you. It's very possible there are more lynx in that area. There were lots of tracks. I thought I would give it a rest for a week and maybe try it out again. Maybe next time I'll go in at night.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska_pike View Post
    what were you shooting with? a .22?
    243., but I think (hope) I only grazed it. In about 100 yds. of tracking, I only found 4-5 tiny drops of blood.

Thats a rough day Jack but he probably wasn't hurt too bad, a 243 that connected enough to kill would probably have done more than a few drops of blood.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool45 View Post
    Thats a rough day Jack but he probably wasn't hurt too bad, a 243 that connected enough to kill would probably have done more than a few drops of blood.
    That' kind of what I was thinking. Thanks for the encouragement. I was feeling kind of guilty about the whole ordeal. I hate wounding animals. But hopefully he'll live to see another day.

I agree with OldSchool...if it was fatal you would have seen a lot more of a blood trail....A .243 does some good damage so if it was a good connection you would of seen a lot more...