Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The right scope

Default The right scope

I'm looking for a new scope for my 375 H&H. I was wondering about the preferences and personal experiences of anyone who shoots the larger calibers. I'm not looking to put a high power scope on it. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Plan to put a Leopold 2-8 on my 375 when it gets here. Haven't decided on V2 or V3 yet but will likely go with V3 and detachable mounts.

Default The right scope

I was wondering about detachable mounts and how they stay accurate with recoil.

EAW makes some killer quick detach mounts, most work, the ones that operate with a lever on each mount are a pain in the rear, spend the extra couple hundred bucks and get the pivot off ones with one lever on the rear mount.
    2.5-8 is a killer scope....i've used quick detach rings on both my .416's with no issues and i use a leuy 1.5-5 on both of them with no problems. the 2.5-8 didn't last more than 2 dozen shots, but my gun is under 7lbs too....mighta had something to do with it.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

My browning 375 is topped with a leupold vx3 1.75-6 with tally detach mounts. Love it.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I have a Swarovski Z6 1-6x24 EE illuminated ranging reticle mounted with Talley removable mounts on my Sako and I'm really happy with the combo.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I would trade my talleysfor EAW's any day...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have the new Leupold VX/R 1.25-4 on my 375. It is a very nice peice of glass, also has a illuminated reticule if you're into that. I have a VX III 1.5-5 on my 458, and it has never given a hint of trouble through hundreds of rounds and even me landing on it when I fell off a cliff on Kodiak. Zero has never shifted, even through all of that. I have a FX II 2.5 on my 35 Whelen, I put it on there temporarily over 4 years ago, I just like it so much and it has worked so well I've never saw a need to change it. I have made shots on game from 3 to 325 yards with these three scopes and never had one of them cranked up past 3x when a shot was taken, heck the longest was with the 2.5 on the Whelen. Phil Shoemaker has one of the little 2.5s mounted on his 458 at present if I recall from his most recent article, he has had good things to say about it in print the last few year

Leupold says the 2.5 is one of their toughest, followed closely by the 1.75-6. We also have one of their new VX6 1-6 scopes on the bargain rack, looks like it should be one heck of a big bore scope.

Just my thoughts.

Mine is topped with a Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6 with quick detaches also. Not 100% sure on the brand. Guy at Mnt view sports recommended them so I had them mount the mounts and scope on it
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Before I bought my Swaro I bought a Leupold VX/R 1.25-4. I had to send it back because on my Sako it was not long enough to span the mounts. It was close but just not quite long enough and the way the bases mount on a Sako I had no options.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default The right scope

So from what I'm reading is low power(which is what I've been looking at) and detachable. Between taking them on and off in the field how well do they stay zeroed in?

Quote Originally Posted by Akworkandfish View Post
    So from what I'm reading is low power(which is what I've been looking at) and detachable. Between taking them on and off in the field how well do they stay zeroed in?
    depends on what you want... A 375 is a dangerous game round and when hunting dangerous game the low power will most always give you a wider field of view which is critical for a quick target aqusition allowing for quick follow up shots or in a worst case senerio a charging situation.. Also most dangerious game is taken at close distances so the need for a high power scope is not a necessity. The qd mounts are very nice if you have back up rifle sights for the "brush" work where shots will be at extremely close range.. I personally like a balance of 1-4 2-8 just for the simple fact that on a wounded critter that is escaping I can turn up the scope a bit to try to make a better shot... I am a huge swarovski fan and they have never let me down...

I have used mounts from Warne, Talley, Leupold, and EAW in QR styles. All have returned to zero to within half an inch, which is better than most guns and guys shoot. I have also used Ruger factory rings as a QD by just carrying a small screwdriver in my daypack and they work just as well FWIW.

Default The right scope

Thank you all. These forums are the starting point for so many opportunities for me and most likely a lot of others.

I used a fixed power 4x Nikon on my Interarms Mark.X .375 H&H. Never had an issue with scope movement or recoil loosening the mounts.

I've had a VXII 1-4x, VX3 1-5x, a fixed 2.5 on several .375s and they were all great.

I'm currently looking at SWFA's repro straight tubed 3x which will span the action a little better than the Ultralight 2.5x
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Default The right scope

I did look at the vx3 today and thought it would be a good fit for what I'm looking for.

Get a Nightforce. It will last longer than the gun. Just kidding. They are phenomenal scopes. If you can afford a swaro don't discount the NF

I would agree the Nightforce is the only scope I will put on my rifles because they always hold O, and never shift. We have had problems in the past with some of the major brands of scopes.

I've got a 1.75 x 5 Burris on my 338 with warne quick detach rings......several years, moose,boo, deer and bumps, shots and recoils and it holds true. Have open sight backups on mine and have taken the scope off frequently when getting into thick stuff to find an animal, or as a carry gun during the summer and it has always gone right back to zero (or at least as close as my shooting skills can say) every time. Lots of good glass out there, just stick with a decent name and enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast