Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did you learn this season?

Default What did you learn this season?

I thought it would be cool to see what people learned this last season, where they learned it, and how it has helped or changed things for them. Could be anything, new fly, new technique, new way to patch waders.. Just something that made fishing, easier, simpler, more enjoyable, or more effective.

Personally, the biggest game changer for me this season, was managing running line. I learned and mastered the concept of holding loops of running line, rather than coils. Something I've never really had to worry about until this year. Fishing mostly small water, tons and tons of running line has never been an issue. Until now. So, this whole concept has really upped my distance game. My casting at distance is smoother, more accurate, and a whole lot less frustrating. Picked this up from Deneki/Alaska west blog. Took a while to make it a habit, but now that it is.. its a great thing.

Couple links:
    http://www.deneki.com/2011/05/spey-c...demonstration/
    http://www.deneki.com/2009/06/managi...3-simple-tips/

So what did you guys/gals learn?

I learned not to let work interfere with fishing. I'll be trying to make up for it this winter though. Iced guides and frozen reels here we come!

I learned that no matter how much rain falls you can still catch fish on the Kenai.

I wouldn't say this is some thing I have learned more that it was re-enforced, just because you don't think it wont work doesn't mean it wont! My biggest bow on the kenai this year on a white tube jig dead drifting! Not going into a story here, but basically I was not having a good day and started screwing off with my fly rod.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I learned that no matter how much rain falls you can still catch fish on the Kenai.

Haha, caught my biggest bow of the year on September 21st. Water was just a little high on that day.

I learned that I actually can catch a fish on a fly rod.
    I finally picked up the 1st dolly on a bead. Took me a year to do it. I'm no expert now, but the next few came MUCH easier!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Just because a friend says his dog retrieves is no reason to bring him. A few hours of duck hunting and a weekend of dog finding. Dog was retrieved unharmed tho.

Woops, thought it said hunting forum.

Main thing I learned was that to catch bigger grayling it's presentation, presentation, presentation.

No matter how many times i run super hole. That sand bar is going to get me everytime.

learning the water on the middle, first fall with a boat but still have alot to learn
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Friends with honesty and integrity are the only fishing buddies to keep around.

Quote Originally Posted by akfshklr View Post
    Friends with honesty and integrity are the only fishing buddies to keep around.
    +1 good call!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

You don't need bait to have a good bite for King Salmon on the Kenai or Kasilof! Some of the best no-bait fishing I have ever seen occured in the few days leading up to the closure.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

I learned how to spey cast, not very mind you but it's a work in progress..

Quote Originally Posted by ak_logan View Post
    No matter how many times i run super hole. That sand bar is going to get me everytime.
    LOL pretty sure your not the only one! I seem to hit crap every time I go over the gravel bar just above Bing's...

I learned to make lures, spoons and inline spinners. In addition to my fly tying this should cover nearly all fishing bases!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post

Yes! LOL that was some good times.

I also learned that you should never try to jam two fly rods into one case and if your casting and all of a sudden the rod load doesn't feel right, stop casting, I made two dumb mistakes this season. HAHA. Live and Learn, I should know better.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I learned how short life can be, going to make the most of my fishing pursuits while I am on earth. Fish like there is no tomorrow, because tomorrow may never come.

RIP Alicia Musgraves
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    I learned how short life can be, going to make the most of my fishing pursuits while I am on earth. Fish like there is no tomorrow, because tomorrow may never come.

RIP Alicia Musgraves
    Yes, live every day as if it were your last...because one day it will be.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast