Thread: Bear meat for trapping bait?

Default Bear meat for trapping bait?

Usually I trap around gut piles from animals we kill, but the other day I was offered a bunch of old bear meat to use for trapping or what ever.
    So 1. is it legal to use it providing it was shot after june 1st?
    and 2. are fox and coyotes and marten attracted to the meat or is there something repulsive about it cause its a meat eater?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

i dont know for sure if it is legal, but i know bear makes excelent bait. 2 years ago bear was the only bait we had availible to us trapping and it worked great.
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    i dont know for sure if it is legal, but i know bear makes excelent bait. 2 years ago bear was the only bait we had availible to us trapping and it worked great.
    I don't quite understand this......you don't know if it's legal, but you used it anyway...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I don't quite understand this......you don't know if it's legal, but you used it anyway...???
    Haha...............good question 4mer.
    If the meat was not required to be salvaged, then it should be legal to use. All depends on which unit it came from and what time of year. But then, how could any of that be proved? Read thru both the game regs and trapping regs to get a better idea.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

i sure know if im not sure it was legal and i did it i wouldnt be posting that on the net. self incrimination! but i do beleive its legal under the rite situation as been said

why don't you call fish and game, it's really easy to do!!!!

page 17 of the Hunting Regs:

You MAY use the following as bait...

Brown Bear Meat - EXCEPT taken under a subsistence brwon bear management permit and brown bears taken over bait in Units 12, 20C, 20E, and 21D.

Black Bear Meat taken from JUNE 1 - DEC 31 (As long as the black bear hide was salvaged)

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    page 17 of the Hunting Regs:

You MAY use the following as bait...

Brown Bear Meat - EXCEPT taken under a subsistence brwon bear management permit and brown bears taken over bait in Units 12, 20C, 20E, and 21D.

Black Bear Meat taken from JUNE 1 - DEC 31 (As long as the black bear hide was salvaged)
    PERFECT, Thanks! Yeah the bear was taken after june1sh (some time in july I think)
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    let me clarify,
    I dont know if it is legal for furfishgames particular circomstances... the bear meat i used was from a unit 13 grizz that did NOT require meat salvage...
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)