Thread: Spring WX

Default Spring WX

Guys,

My family and I will be coming to Talkeetna for a couple for weeks the first week of April or so. I was wondering what we can expect WX-wise for temps and snow?

Thanks,

Mike-

You can expect anything from 0F to 40F. The last few years we have had snow the first week of April. That is the time of year when the melt starts, but it can still snow or get pretty cold. I've lived in Talkeetna for 31 years, no two springs are alike. Are you flying up?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Can't say it better than that...
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

April is full-on spring in south central Alaska. The sun has once again has radiation to warm the days and the daylight hours are pleasingly long. Without wintering here you can't know how rejuvenating that is. Night time temps can get cold but by mid day it's usually above freezing. River and lake ice will be rotting and the brown patches of bank and sandbars spread quickly in the sun's newfound warmth. There will be plenty of snow left but how much there is on the flat lowlands is impossible to predict. In town the ground will start reappearing but the foothills and mountains will still carry a full load of snow. Roads should be dry unless we have a storm drop new snow but that won't last long on pavement. Alaskans love spring. March and early April are prime time. Late April is a transition season between icy winter and watery summer and options for playing can be limited depending on what you want to do and where you want to do it.

Poetic Pid

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    April is full-on spring in south central Alaska. The sun has once again has radiation to warm the days and the daylight hours are pleasingly long. Without wintering here you can't know how rejuvenating that is. Night time temps can get cold but by mid day it's usually above freezing. River and lake ice will be rotting and the brown patches of bank and sandbars spread quickly in the sun's newfound warmth. There will be plenty of snow left but how much there is on the flat lowlands is impossible to predict. In town the ground will start reappearing but the foothills and mountains will still carry a full load of snow. Roads should be dry unless we have a storm drop new snow but that won't last long on pavement. Alaskans love spring. March and early April are prime time. Late April is a transition season between icy winter and watery summer and options for playing can be limited depending on what you want to do and where you want to do it.
    Except for 1985, perhaps, when our Anchorage yard still had three-feet of snow cocvering it . . . . .

Thanks for all the replies. I wish we were flying up, but this is really a long awaitied trying-to-forget-that-I'll-be-coming-home-from my-13th-trip-to-Afghanistan vacation.

We're planning on doing the tourist thing, the wife wants to go on a guided dog sled tour (without the rest of he family), the boys and I (9 and 12) plan to do some fishing, maybe a snow machine tour, and of course go for a aerial tour of the glacier and Denali. Other than that, we aren't really planning on doing anything besides trying to fit in like natives and relax for a few days. I secretly hope the wife will be scouting out Talkeetna as a potential retirement spot

We'll probablly spend a night in Anchorage, the rest of the time in Talkeetena, and another night or two in Anchorage on the way out. Just enough to make me forget where we came from.

I'm afraid she'll fall in love, which will then force me to sell the farm, the Stearman, and the J-3 for a Super Cub...

I'm assuming the spring radiation has the same rejuvinating effect as it does for us in western, WA after non stop rain and 500' overcast from Nov 1st to July 4th.

Thanks again,

Mike-

You are going to be hitting town right at the end of winter. All winter activities are going to be maybe's. The boys might be able to go ice fishing, but the river probably won't be open. It's still a great time of year like Pid pointed out.

I help run a local kid's program called Build-A-Plane. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Talkee...440144?fref=ts It's a national program that teaches kids to rebuild aircraft and learn the flying profession. I'd love to have your family stop by our hanger for a tour. Your kids are the ages of many of the kids participating.

When time gets closer, shoot me a PM and we can arrange it.

Doug,

I suspect at least the three of us boys will spend a considerable amount of the week hanging around the airport anyway, we'd love to meet up and peak in someone else's hangar)

I'll touch base when our arrival dates are solid.

Mike-

Email: stearmann4@msn.com
    www.Silverwingsflying.com

Sounds great Mike Thank you for your service. You have quite the bio and the kids would love to talk with you if you are comfortable with that.

Doug Moore mhbs@mtaonline.net