Thread: Going Vegan- The official alaskan reality show

Default Going Vegan- The official alaskan reality show

Ok. I spent some time this year attempting to harvest some red meat from the wilds of alaska. I am not talking about red salmon either, I have them covered thanks to dipnetting. It seems like this year has not been as good for harvesting big game, not just for me but for quite a few of my associates i have spoken with. Sure, there are plenty of people that connect(congrats!), but i wonder how many people get out and go home with empty game bags? Maybe its time for somebody to make a REAL reality show about alaska hunting, and I am not talking about that family in Homer.... It should include multiple hunts of not harvesting an animal as well as trips where absolutly nothing was even seen. People have driven the entire haul road and only spotted 1 baby caribou. I went out of Whittier a few times over the last couple weeks and the blacktail numbers appear waaayy down. Anyone else experience this? I am going to give it another try in a week or so, weather permitting but its about my last chance to see any real red meat in my freezer. Hopefully, I dont have to go vegan for the winter....

That's just not a reality. You came to the wrong site to cry over your salad. We kill things here.
    If your not taking home meat after multiple trips your doing something wrong. Own it. Earn it!
    Wild animals are skilled at avoiding predation. Use tracking skills and modem optics. Network and learn from successful people.
    Good Luck man!

Not every hunt ends with killed animals. Thats why it called hunting not harvesting. as skills and time spent scouting go up so does your success rate. If you only make it out on opening day and thats it or drive one road you did not put much effort into it and your success rate will show.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Been there, done that waaaaaay more than I even care to remember. In my experience, the three things required to fill tags are ample quantities of time, money and effort....and not necessarily in that order!! Again, speaking for myself, when a season ends and my tag isn't filled, I can usually look back and see that I didn't invest near enough into one of those three things.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Not every hunt ends with killed animals. Thats why it called hunting not harvesting.
    This is true. The reality of the situation is that if you don't enjoy the hunting aspect more than the killing aspect, you would be ahead of the game to buy a side of beef. For most highway system folks who live away from the resource, hunting is an expensive endeavor... not always... but often, and more often as Alaska fills.
    Don't be discouraged. There is plenty of small game and fish out there to keep you from going over to the V side.

Sorry man. You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I would say our group has had an outstanding year. We are still whackin and stackin. Duckdon
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

Default Going Vegan- The official alaskan reality show

My first caribou trip was a bust. Good plan but the critters were moving through at night due to all the pressure along the road. By dawn they were miles away to the south and there was no way I was going to head off alone on the atv into that country.

For the second trip I kept the atv on the trailer and walked north into the CCUA and within 45 minutes was gutting a caribou.

My moose hunting is the opposite, but my plan for next year should work out well as long as I have a helper.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    That's just not a reality. You came to the wrong site to cry over your salad. We kill things here.
    If your not taking home meat after multiple trips your doing something wrong. Own it. Earn it!
    Wild animals are skilled at avoiding predation. Use tracking skills and modem optics. Network and learn from successful people.
    Good Luck man!
    Oohhhh.... Sitka....

I got a reality show concept,,,, "Going broke hunting Alaska" LOL I could have bought a herd of cows for what I've spent, but would not change a thing.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Steve,
    You got that right. It's still fun. I often wonder though if the amount of game has anything to do with the coming winter. Last year I shot 3 caribou on haul road and 4 blacktail out of Whittier: bad winter. This year, low game results for me: so far mellow winter... Maybe I should work for the farmers almanac.
    As far as hunting and fishing in Alaska, I believe there is one major event that has to fall in place, followed by a few others. First and foremost is: Timing. The run hasnt started; the caribou heard is not moving yet; the snow has not pushed the deer down yet; etc.

Followed by: Being in the right place at the right time.

It doesn't matter if you walk as quietly as a ghost in the wind, if the game isn't there, you won't get them... Probably like a lot of people, when the hunting(harvesting) is hot, I think it's my mad skills, but later when doing the same thing and coming up empty, I am eating crow. Obviously, hunting off the road system is harder than more remote areas of Alaska and I am keeping notes on hunts/fishing to do out of Los Anchorage on a shoestring budget and still connect. It all just makes the success of connecting that much sweeter!

Steve,
    You got that right. It's still fun. I often wonder though if the amount of game has anything to do with the coming winter. Last year I shot 3 caribou on haul road and 4 blacktail out of Whittier: bad winter. This year, low game results for me: so far mellow winter... Maybe I should work for the farmers almanac.
    As far as hunting and fishing in Alaska, I believe there is one major event that has to fall in place, followed by a few others. First and foremost is: Timing. The run hasnt started; the caribou heard is not moving yet; the snow has not pushed the deer down yet; etc.

Followed by: Being in the right place at the right time.

It doesn't matter if you walk as quietly as a ghost in the wind, if the game isn't there, you won't get them... Probably like a lot of people, when the hunting(harvesting) is hot, I think it's my mad skills, but later when doing the same thing and coming up empty, I am eating crow. Obviously, hunting off the road system is harder than more remote areas of Alaska and I am keeping notes on hunts/fishing to do out of Los Anchorage on a shoestring budget and still connect. It all just makes the success of connecting that much sweeter!

Cool about the mellow Winter prediction. Sounds like you have enough salmon and got a bunch of game last year. I always keep enough game in the freezer so if I strike out I can make it a year without harvesting anything if my luck runs sour. I am vegan also. I eat fruit and vegetables and only eat fish and game that I harvest myself unless someone else is paying the tab. I havenít bought meat in many years except some fake crab now and then. My cousin visited and he was some other kind of vegan that supposedly doesnít eat any meat but I donít know what that means cause he ate meat when he was visiting us!
    ďI come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. ď Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    My cousin visited and he was some other kind of vegan that supposedly doesnít eat any meat but I donít know what that means cause he ate meat when he was visiting us!
    It means he is dating some chick that is a vegan and thinks it will get him somewhere.

I know lots of guys that don't eat this or that when their women are around or don't drink or smoke. LOL
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    It means he is dating some chick that is a vegan and thinks it will get him somewhere.

I know lots of guys that don't eat this or that when their women are around or don't drink or smoke. LOL
    Maybe he visited this vegan strip bar in portland oregon:

http://vegworcester.com/2008/03/27/v...egon-for-sale/

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Maybe he visited this vegan strip bar in portland oregon:

http://vegworcester.com/2008/03/27/v...egon-for-sale/
    Dang! I thought going vegan was bad enough, now I have to become a stripper too??!!