Thread: A little Caribou Help.

Default A little Caribou Help.

I'm hoping to get out for a summer/early fall Caribou hunt. The only thing is that we are rookies when hunting off of Kodiak Island. We'd like to find hunting country that we can either take atvs into, hike into, or possibly take canoes. Since we are all teachers, we are limited to hunting before August 20th, the first day of school. We aren't looking for monster bulls but rather a successful meat hunt.

So aside from the Haul road hunt, what options are there that would meet our criteria AND we would be able to enjoy some success. With the haul road, how far North would we need to consider going in order to find the herd at that time of year?

With Caribou, are they more likely to be found in the low country, mid country, high country? We honestly don't know much about caribou.

We have done a lot of deer hunting on Kodiak in bear country and know how to handle meat with predators around.

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate all of your advice.

If you signed up for the Tier I hunt, all of you would have guaranteed tags for Unit 13. The only kicker is that you would be locked into that unit for moose and you can only harvest one caribou per family, but living on Kodiakrain, that's not likely a problem,

Most of the Nelchina caribou in early Aug are going to be up high escaping heat and bugs unless we have a really cool summer.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Caribou walk into the wind, unless otherwize occupied.....Ridge tops and the Ocean shores are sure places to find Caribou and such. At the very least you will spot them when your up top, and they below you.

When Caribou are spooked, they run to the nearest Hill, even if its miles away, as long as they see it, even across any water, and they will always run Up , Up , Up , Up,Up.......its their Nature.

Otherwize, when not sleeping Caribou are always walking, and are not at 1:05 where they were at 1:00......they love to walk up hills and hillsides....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

For tier 1 you'll have about 10 days of hunting along the Denali hwy before school starts up, but may need to check the ferry schedule first for getting home.

You can hunt the alpine in the CCUA north of the road by walking or biking in on two different trail systems at either end of the controlled use area.

You can also head south of the hwy on several atv trail systems and hunt the open tundra. Just have to know the rules for off road use in various places.

If you have no plans to moose hunt then do the tier 1.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Caribou walk into the wind, unless otherwize occupied.....Ridge tops and the Ocean shores are sure places to find Caribou and such. At the very least you will spot them when your up top, and they below you.

When Caribou are spooked, they run to the nearest Hill, even if its miles away, as long as they see it, even across any water, and they will always run Up , Up , Up , Up,Up.......its their Nature.

Otherwize, when not sleeping Caribou are always walking, and are not at 1:05 where they were at 1:00......they love to walk up hills and hillsides....

.................................................. ..................?

???

Oh I forgot..... Caribou generally avoid willows, and tree stands to avoid being jumped, they are like Geese.

In our Western Arctic Caribou Herd, the vast majority of our Caribou are still North of the Brooks Range, on the North Slope, but lead moveing Cows make trails that the others trickle, then flood down in a Southern trend to their Wintering Grounds south of here, tward the Seward Penensula

I dont know the migrations/timing of other herds, but you might want to check into a peticular herds habits.

And if they are in a small herd, its best to approach them obliquily rather than directly at them, especially if they have spotted you, never go directly at them, just mosey in close like, take yer time.

As well, if your gonna ambushe 'em...........Stay Still!!!! Thats the absolute best way to let them come at you and past, if they havent seen you.Shoot them after they pass, in tha backof the head, its a very clear easy shot under 100 yards, and if you miss, they most likely will be running TWARD you.....

Often, if Im shooting a few or useing a Bow, I figure out whos the lead animal, as all the others will keep an eye on 'em and tend to follow them, and I will drop that one first and then the ones that mill around , waiting for that one to get up and lead them away.......

Cammoflauge, scent blocker, cough box, ozone makers, treestands, blinds, box's on poles with TV and a feed stand are not nessesarry or aplicable to Caribou Hunting.

Day 9 of a 10 day hunt with out more than a bodys wipe down is as productive as the first day, fresh from home, stench wize, in jeans, teeshirt, and a black Carheart jacket, rubber boots and green REDDOG hat ..... ..... if not your personal scent then maybe alotta Ode' de bug dope

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    For tier 1 you'll have about 10 days of hunting along the Denali hwy before school starts up, but may need to check the ferry schedule first for getting home.

You can hunt the alpine in the CCUA north of the road by walking or biking in on two different trail systems at either end of the controlled use area.

You can also head south of the hwy on several atv trail systems and hunt the open tundra. Just have to know the rules for off road use in various places.

If you have no plans to moose hunt then do the tier 1.
    Thanks for the info guys.

Ray, is there an online source for finding out more about the trail systems off of the Denali hwy? Would we have as good a chance at taking a few bulls off of the Denali as we would in the corridor? I, not sure about my buddies, would prefer going off of the Denali rather than the haul road.

I overheard someone today talking about caribou hunting around Delta but I never got a chance to ask more. Anyone know much about that hunt?

Other than the BLM trails in the tangle lakes area there are few online resources.

From clearwater creak east to the gap there are a few trails that originate in camping areas on the south side of the road.

If you want to learn about what the tier 1 offers check out the unit 13 thread here on the front page. Shooting bulls from the road or shooting bulls after a hike of several miles. Shooting bulls where ever you find them.