Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing up 91 Octane Fuel?

Default Mixing up 91 Octane Fuel?

The newer AC 800 engines (2 stroke) require 91 octane fuel. Since pump gas comes in 87 or 90, a booster mix is required. Curious about what others are using to mix up their 91 octane. Are you starting with 87 or 90? What are you using for octane booster? Anything that seems to work good and are there any products to avoid?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

90 octane pump gas is fine here, mfgr's have specified 91 for years. We are running at low elevations when compared to riding out west in the rockies.

Can't do that. Per the manufacturer... "The only recommended gasoline to use in (800cc and 1100cc Turbo models) is 91 octane (minimum)" ... "Use of improper gasoline will VOID the Arctic Cat's warranty". It's in writing. Have to do it. They make no accommodations for altitude in their fuel requirements. The only deviation is a sidebar caution that states, "if a situation arises wherein 91 octane gasoline is not available, 87 octane gasoline can be substituted; however, do not prolong the usage of 87 octane gasoline as it will cause poor engine performance".

I suppose that I'll just do the math on how much of a 10-point octane boost to add to a 5-gallon can of 90 octane pump gas to bump it to 91. Given the price of gas, it's not adding much at all to the cost of a tank of gas to add a swig of booster and stay in compliance with the warranty.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Torco is the one almost every guy I know is running. Back in the early 2000's you couldn't get a decent octane booster, so I mixed 100 LL with 87oct 50/50 to get the 93 octane I needed.

Both the machines are protected by knock sensors and I know plenty of people running straight 87 octane in theirs without any problems. I respect your concerns about warranty on those sleds. The guys that I know that are worried are running Torco.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I mixed Torco for my Pro800 last year and ran 400 miles in Denali with no issues. Never a knock or lag in performance.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Just to mess with you JOAT why not switch brands to a real sled that does not require "Special Fuel"?
    Did you actually finally buy a new sled?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Yes, I did. I have lime green blood (without the pointy ears). It will always be Cat for me. All I have to do is borrow a ride on a Polaris to quickly remember why I'll never own anything else.

About 3 weeks ago I was sitting there looking down the row of 3 Cats in my driveway making a list of maintenance tasks and parts that I needed to order before I could go riding. Starter work here. Fuel pump and carb rebuilds there. Got a blown piston with a shot jug to get swapped out on that one. The list went on and on. The newest sled in the line is 1998. I started thinking it might just be time to add something newer. The older you get, the less fun the wrench time becomes. Once upon a time I loved to spend hours fixing stuff. I've gotten over it. So, I spent several days combing classifieds without seeing a single used sled in Alaska that sparked interest. All high miles, needs work, or heavily modified. The 3 things that make any used sled a bad deal.

After a quick phone call to the bank (ORV loan rates are running 3% right now, how can you resist?) and another to the Cat shop, I picked up my brand new M800 SnoPro Limited 153" in white just over 2 weeks ago. So far I have 2 miles on it. Bring on the snow! I have another 98 miles of engine break in procedure to get through, as well as that first tank of 100:1 mix.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Torco sounds pretty good in their marketing claims. http://torcoracefuel.net/pro-accelerator.html The chart on their website says 4oz per 5 gallon can of 87 pump will give you 91 octane. Based on their published price per quart, that comes out to about $2.63 per 5-gallon gas can. Not unreasonable.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Yes, I did. I have lime green blood (without the pointy ears). It will always be Cat for me. All I have to do is borrow a ride on a Polaris to quickly remember why I'll never own anything else.

About 3 weeks ago I was sitting there looking down the row of 3 Cats in my driveway making a list of maintenance tasks and parts that I needed to order before I could go riding. Starter work here. Fuel pump and carb rebuilds there. Got a blown piston with a shot jug to get swapped out on that one. The list went on and on. The newest sled in the line is 1998. I started thinking it might just be time to add something newer. The older you get, the less fun the wrench time becomes. Once upon a time I loved to spend hours fixing stuff. I've gotten over it. So, I spent several days combing classifieds without seeing a single used sled in Alaska that sparked interest. All high miles, needs work, or heavily modified. The 3 things that make any used sled a bad deal.

After a quick phone call to the bank (ORV loan rates are running 3% right now, how can you resist?) and another to the Cat shop, I picked up my brand new M800 SnoPro Limited 153" in white just over 2 weeks ago. So far I have 2 miles on it. Bring on the snow! I have another 98 miles of engine break in procedure to get through, as well as that first tank of 100:1 mix.
    Yeah I wouldn't ride a Polaris either so good call on that one.
    I hope Arctic cat fixed all their issues from last year. I would hate to see you broke down trailside. I think it was their reverse last year that caused the most problems. Also that short vent hose that caused a few to catch fire.
    I might let you ride my Ski doo sometime but then you might not want to give it back.
    I hope it came with a good hitch so you can use it for some serious icefishing this year.

Amsoil makes a good octane booster as well. 1 can at $10- treats 15 gallons.
    I add it to the airboat gas (90 octane) when I'm going to run ground.
    BK

Buncha Polaris haters
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

No, just Ski-Doo lovers.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Most "octane boosters" are going to up the mix maybe 3-4 "points". What this means is: 87 will go to 87.3 or 87.4. It will not go up to 92 or such.

Just buy a drum of avgas and mix it if you like. I've been doing that for years. Most times I don't even bother to mix it. Used this in air-cooled/water-cooled snogo's outboards and chainsaws.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    No, just Ski-Doo lovers.
    Yup and mine doesn't require octane booster.
    Granted it is only a 600 Exp. Sport and not an 800 mountain machine.

I believe you are mistaken about how many "points" you have available. The octane boosters I've been looking at are rated for 140-150 "points" per quart to 5 gallons of gas. So, an 87 to 91 boost requires 40 "points", or about 9 oz into 5 gallons. Easy.

Perhaps the stuff you can get down at the grocery store next to the STP "cleaning" products are rated that low, but not the professional stuff that they use in race cars.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Torco is not the same Walmart crap. It's a certified race fuel addictive.

I had a 2010 M8, ran 90 oct pump gas every ride and thought it was ok. last Feb I got some bad gas and had a pre detonation, major engine damage. I recommend adding octane boost and extending warranty if possible!

Does AK have ethanol in its gas? This could be a major part of your problems. I've been out of the sled world for 10yrs now and am just getting back into it this yr. just bought a sled last week...
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Default Re: Mixing up 91 Octane Fuel?

No ethanol up here. Thankfully

sent from my igloo

Higher octane is a function of longer hydrocarbon chains. You can't increase octane rating to any significant degree simply by adding toluene or MMT, regardless of the brand or claims made. So called octane boosters are just a scam, and a waste of money. If you need to burn longer hydrocarbon chain fuel, then buy fuel formulated with longer hydrocarbon chains, period.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast