Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Shells?

Default Shotgun Shells?

Tired of putting patterns around birds and watching them keep flying... I want to try out a variety of shells on a pattern board with different choke tubes. Anyway I can't see buying whole boxes of shells to just shoot a couple out of and decide I don't want to shoot those shells anyway. I have a 2 3/4 inch gun so I don't buy the more expensive shells that only come in 3"+. As far as field trials go Remington has been my favorite as far as killing ducks go, but I want to shoot a variety at a pattern board to really pick my favorite shell and tube. If nothing else you hit more ducks with better confidence.
    Anyway, is there anyone wanting to do the same thing? I want to test out the Winchester Xperts, Kent Fasteel and the Remington steel shot as well. I was thinking maybe each buying a box or two, then trading shells so we have a few of each to try out. That way were not left over with shells we don't trust, and it should be much more inexpensive.
    Let me know if your interested!
    Thanks,
    Riley

Default Shotgun Shells?

What choke have you been using and how far are the birds your shooting at?

Default Shotgun Shells?

I have patterned all 3 of those. Don't waste your time with xpert. The other two are comparable and both seemed ok.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Default Shotgun Shells?

With mod choke

I have already decided to quit with the Xpert as more ducks fell when I was shooting the Remington 4s. I am using a Skeet 2 choke. And I am not taking many long shots, and when I do I don't wonder why I missed. Many of my most disappointing shots I am jump shooting downhill and watch the pattern hit water all around the bird.

Check out the adds today in the paper. I think Sports Authority has buy one get one half off on Winchester ammo. Might be able to save you some money. Don't quote be but I think Sportsmans has something going on too.

skeet 2? pretty open choke there
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Default Shotgun Shells?

Mod and Imod is what I keep in my o/u

Try out the Federal Blue boxes too. I use those, and have pretty good success with them.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Shotgun Shells?

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Try out the Federal Blue boxes too. I use those, and have pretty good success with them.
    That's all I buy as well...

Default Shotgun Shells?

Well I shoot an improved cylinder choke and I shoot 3" #3 (earlyseason) #2 (late season) kent fast steel. Killed a lot of birds at 25-30 yards and closer. This is just what I do not saying it THE way to do it.

I use Mod in my SBE, Improved works well for decoys, but can be kind of tough for pass or jump shooting. It all depends on what kind of duck hunting you are doing.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Shotgun Shells?

Don't get me wrong i like jump shooting, but to me having the birds come into the kill hole and being taken with a clean shot and having guy go retrieve the birds, that's duck hunting!

I tried Kents a little but want to try them on a pattern board. And Kwack, a Skeet 2 choke is in between IMC and Modified.

I will also keep the Federals in mind, I have herd great things about the Federal Classics but I don't think they are made anymore as I can't find them anywhere.

i started shooting winchester blind side last year and thats all i shoot now....... i started shooting a mod choke and i have now switched to a full...... drops ducks HARD. takes a little bit to find the lead but once you do its game over!!

I've literally shot EVERY non-tox offering you can get in Alaska as far as a 12 gauge is concerned, and a bulk of the available 20 gauge shells. I've found the Federal blue box to be just as good as anything else. I like to shoot the hevi-metal 3.5" BB once and a while... anyway, my point is that you dont need to spend a fortune in shells to kill ducks, yet I still do it for some reason. I shoot ducks with hevi-shot 3.5" #4 that are just as dead as steel 2 3/4" shells. The worst performing shell I've ever shot is winchester shells, namely the Xperts and to a lesser extent the blindside.

Another thumbs down to expert and thumbs up to federal blue box. I agree with your intent...best thing to do is put patterns on paper with the load/choke/range combination you are using in the field. I did it last week and was amazed to see the difference in pattern when I switched from the early season 3s to the late season BBs. The choke that had the 3s looking great was absolutely terrible with the BBs. Makes me feel a lot better about missing so many on my last hunt...switched chokes with the new a mo and its looking good.

Different chokes are going to spit different size shot into different patterns.

I use a pattern master extended choke for everything - seems that if I do my part, the birds go down pretty good. Finishing shots on sea ducks seem to be the hardest to kill.

Had been shooting 3" Winchester Xpert #2's lot of missed and crippled birds switched to 3" Winchester Blindside #2's and have had good luck with them shooting remington 11-87 with remington extended, modifided choke. Might have to give the Federal Blue Box a try though now that I have seen so many praise it.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast