Thread: I missed a Coyote

Default I missed a Coyote

OK, before Vince tells the rest of the world. I missed a Coyote. Vince and I were driving down near Nenana. There was the remains of a Moose lying down off the road, next to the trees. As we approached a Coyote jumped up and stood there looking at the truck. I reached for my rifle in the seat behind me, but was unable to reach it. Vince reached back and handed it to me. I then remembered the magazine was empty. I removed the magazine fast and opened a box of shells. I loaded the magazine then got out of the truck. As I got out the Coyote took off through the trees. I moved down and away from the road to where it looked like I had a clear shot, and took the shot, but too much brush between me and the Coyote. This animal had a beautiful thick looking coat. I'm really sick I was so unprepared, and let this one get away. Never fails, you do things right time and time again, and no one is there to notice. You screw up once and someone it there, shaking his head. Makes you want to crawl into a snow cave and hide the rest of the winter.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

This is simple. It is all Vince's fault. If you had been w/ me, Labman, or a myriad of other guys, you'd be skinning a dog. But nope, it was Vince. You are now officially off the hook.
    Suggestion? Maybe next time something like this happens, "softly scare" the dog away, then sneak in if the wind is right, sit down, have your partner drive away, and wait. Not too unlikely that he had been scared off before and came back, he might do it again. Just thinking.
    ARR

It's a sickening feeling when things like that happen. Talk about being un-prepared.... I carry my predator rifle with me EVERYWHERE I go. Last winter, I was heading to a buddies house to skin a fox and coyote. I picked up my rifle and set it back down, thinking it's only a few miles away.... less than a mile from my place a silver fox is running down the road. I haul butt back to my place grab my caller and rifle only to spend the next 30 mins waiting for a silver that never showed... I'll remember that for the rest of my life as a silver is my 'Eleanor' (as my buddy calls it)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

missed hell.. i had to wake him up

, get his gun, remind him about he bullets, hand him his gloves, and remind him to put his boots on..

all the while watching where the yote was.. 35 minutes later..

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yea, Right. But I deserve it. After all it was my fault.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

had this happen on the haul road last year a giant black wolf ran out in front of my truck and stopped in the ditch 15 yards from me and stood there while i got my bow out of the back and knocked an arrow. as soon as i drew back on him he bolted. i will never get this out of my head

About a month ago on that Monday it snowed real good here in Fairbanks my Platoon was doing a 12 mile road march. I was in my truck following in case someone twisted an ankle or something. Right near the end point by housing I see a big fox cross the road. He sits down in the grass on the side of the road listening to a mouse or something and as I pull up next to him and roll down the window he looks over his shoulder at me as if to say "wassup" and goes back to listening. I probably sat six feet away from him in my truck for 5 minutes before I pulled away to continue what I was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool45 View Post
    About a month ago on that Monday it snowed real good here in Fairbanks my Platoon was doing a 12 mile road march. I was in my truck following in case someone twisted an ankle or something. Right near the end point by housing I see a big fox cross the road. He sits down in the grass on the side of the road listening to a mouse or something and as I pull up next to him and roll down the window he looks over his shoulder at me as if to say "wassup" and goes back to listening. I probably sat six feet away from him in my truck for 5 minutes before I pulled away to continue what I was doing.
    i would have left the part of you following your platoon in a truck out..

LOL, Yeah sounds bad but the guy that was suppose to drive my truck flaked on me so I had to. But to make it up I woke up the next morning at 0330 and did 14 miles in 3 hours cuz I darn sure don't lead from the back.

Graybeard
    I do not think you will be in the minority list for missing a shoot once in a while. We have all missed something over the years and I am sure there is still going to be a few more misses; at least in my future.

It just is a bit tougher when a buddy see you did it.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I was hiking out to my remote property and a large cross-fox was sitting right on the trail looking at me about 25 yds away. I pulled out my scoped single six. As I was considering taking him, he darted across the trail and snatched up a hare right in front of me. He sat off to the left of the trail and proceeded to eat the rabbit. Weirdest thing, I kept hiking and left him alone.