Thread: Bell and Carlson Composite stocks

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Bell and Carlson Composite stocks

Ok, here's a question for those who have used the Bell and Carlson replacement stocks.

I'm planning on replacing the wood stock on my Ruger M77 243, I don't want to drop twice the money I paid for the rifle on a Macmillian.

Reading through the Bell and Carlson website they claim their aluminum bedding system allows for a drop in fit that eliminates the need for traditional bedding, unless indicated otherwise.

The question is, how true have any of you found the drop in fit to be? How much fitting have you had to do with the bell and carlson stocks?

I found the fit to be pretty close on my Ruger Mark 1 .338. I did bed it with glass. I chose the model with the thumb hole grip and I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    The question is, how true have any of you found the drop in fit to be? How much fitting have you had to do with the bell and carlson stocks?
    I've used them and found they all needed a touch of bedding because the block made only partial contact to the recoil lug. I will not buy another one......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Default old wood stock?

Wanna sell your old wood stock? I need one for my '06.

I've got one B&C stock for a pre-64 70 and it looks OK but a bit of bedding always helps on about any rifle stock. I'm thinking about going to try another on my SS Classic Win 70 '06 this winter. The price is right on them but there are other less expensive composite stocks I looking at also - Brownells has a pretty good selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Ok, here's a question for those who have used the Bell and Carlson replacement stocks.

I'm planning on replacing the wood stock on my Ruger M77 243, I don't want to drop twice the money I paid for the rifle on a Macmillian.

Reading through the Bell and Carlson website they claim their aluminum bedding system allows for a drop in fit that eliminates the need for traditional bedding, unless indicated otherwise.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I have found the B&C's to be second best, at best. There is no substitute for quality. Save more pennies and buy something good.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Put one on a SAKO 243, 3 shots and broke the action bolt!! I actually threw it in the trash, then recovered it and bedded it, now I like it, WAY too much room without glass bedding, IMO.

They ain't a bad stock at all, just don't expect a drop-in stock. You'll need to bed it, like other members already said, as well as give the barrel channel a nice float to eliminate any barrel contact.

I find the Carbelites, especially for the Ruger 77, to be a giant hunk of crap. Soft, flexible, ill fitting, square barrel channel? who does that. Save your nickels for a Mickey, or send it to MPI, or have me fit you a Bansner, or bed your wood stock, but don't get a Carbelite, never mind the fact that they have the ergonomics of a railroad tie.

Maybe I'm stuck up or a gun snob, but a Carbelite is a huge step back from anything other than no stock at all as far as I'm concerned.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Thanks everyone,Those were the answers I expected.

I'll wait and buy a better stock.

Default Eaton?

My .375-06 AI is in a synthetic composite stock with a plastic butt plate marked "EATON".

Can anyone familiar with composite stocks tell me who made the stock? I haven't ran into that name before and I don't see any other markings anywhere. The stock is not checkered which is kind of odd on a composite stock and I can't find any pictures in any catalogs etc. to match it.

THANKS!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK