Thread: Kuiu gear

Default Kuiu gear

Considering buying some Kuiu pants. Looking at either the attack pants or guide pants. Can someone recommend one or the other and why?

I've got the attack pants...they're great and more comfortable for early season hunts. The guide pants seem too heavyweight and too hot to me...more like a soft-shell.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I haven't tried the guide pants, so I can't really compare them - but I love my attack pants. From 70 degree temps down to below freezing, I always felt comfortable in them.

Default Kuiu gear

Yeah I can't decide which ones I want. I like that they have a long inseam cause I am 6'5 but I like to be able to be warm on a snowy or windy day. That's what has me thinking guide pants. Maybe a little heavier weight?

Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    Yeah I can't decide which ones I want. I like that they have a long inseam cause I am 6'5 but I like to be able to be warm on a snowy or windy day. That's what has me thinking guide pants. Maybe a little heavier weight?
    They're not really made from the same stuff. The guide pants are the same fabric as the guide jacket- a soft-shell. Probably good in the snow or the wet stuff- Aug in the mountains probably sweat a guy worse than sporthills.

The attack pants are more like a lightweight 4 way stretch...you can stay warm by adjusting base layers but they won't shed water like a shell. I wear mine with merino down to as cold as I care to hunt without insulated carhartts.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have both, and both have their place.

The attack pants are really good for mountian hunts, and early season hunts. They breathe really well, and are light weight. They are also very tough. I went down an alder elevator with mine, and was suprised to find no holes in them.

The guide pants are heavier, and fleece lined. They were awesome down in Kodiak when the average temp was 20 or lower. I didn't even have to wear long johns with them. These pants were very tough as well, we beat a lot of brush with them, and I had zero issues.

Both are well made, and they both have a purpose to which they were made. It all depends on what kind of hunt you plan on using them for.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I actually found the Attack pants to be slightly thicker and warmer than I was expecting. They are heavier than your standard hiking pants and fit into late summer/early fall hunting temps pretty well. I was hiking around in mine the first half of October with no long johns and was very comfortable.

I could see the Guide pants being great for say a cool weather moose hunt where you weren't moving around a lot. They will keep do better and keeping you dry while walking through wet grass and brush as well. Don't think I would want to climb a mountain in them though.

Sounds like you just need Santa to bring you both.

Default Kuiu gear

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I have both, and both have their place.

The attack pants are really good for mountian hunts, and early season hunts. They breathe really well, and are light weight. They are also very tough. I went down an alder elevator with mine, and was suprised to find no holes in them.

The guide pants are heavier, and fleece lined. They were awesome down in Kodiak when the average temp was 20 or lower. I didn't even have to wear long johns with them. These pants were very tough as well, we beat a lot of brush with them, and I had zero issues.

Both are well made, and they both have a purpose to which they were made. It all depends on what kind of hunt you plan on using them for.
    Thanks for the write up. That's exactly the information I was looking for. Maybe I will just get both. They will be on sale tomorrow so we shall see.

I have the guide pants, but not the attack pants. The guide pants are awesome, and I've never overheated in them. They're good with no long base layer in summer, or with one in the winter. I wouldn't want to wear them on a hot summer day in the tropics, but I can't imagine a hunt in Alaska where they'd be too much. I have no inclination to buy the attack pants, great as they may be, because the guide pants do everything I want.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

There is 20% off sale on everything going on this weekend, good timing to buy.

Default Kuiu gear

Well I ordered both. Attack pants are being shipped and the guide pants I had to preorder. Supposed to be in next week so fingers crossed. Went with black attack pants and vias camo in the guide pants. Can't wait to get them.

One more point...there are/were two versions of the guide pants, i.e., Guide Pants and DCS Guide Pants. However, on the KUIU website at the current time they no longer list the DCS guide pants, which is unfortunate. Both versions are excellent, bombproof, and comfortable, but the DCS guide pants have a couple of additional features, including a short venting panel down the outside seam of each leg with a zippered closure. I wore my DCS guide pants each day of a week long tent hunt on Montague a few weeks ago. I wore a lite merino base layer and the pants were perfect for climbing and active hunting in the temperatures we had (well below freezing...single digits...to just above freezing).

I also have both types of pants and will second that KUIU needs to bring back the hip vent to the guide pants. That being said, descriptions in this thread of both pants are accurate with the Guide pants being warmer and more weather resistant. I find it odd that the Guide pants are listed at 18oz and the Attack pants at 18.5. Holding both in hand I can't tell a difference but I just cant believe the Guide pants are a touch lighter even with the micro fleece liner! Ordered more gear with the last two sales....I need to take a break : )

I have both and wear the Guide pants when temps are below freezing and Attack pants when it is above freezing.

All these reviews are on point!! I have the guide pants with the hip vents, so I choose them most times because I can dump the heat I need to too compensate for the over heating. And have the versatility of the water resistance. So in my opinion, if you can get the guide pants with the hip vents, they are the way to go! Love all my Kuiu stuff! Too bad I can't keep my finger off the trigger, just bought the new guide gloves today!

Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.