Thread: big lake area wolves

Default big lake area wolves

ok so for about 4 months now on some nights when we let the dogs out they will freek out ive seen what i thought was a small black bear in the dark just enough to see a shadow. as of now i have seen him at least 10 times. three nights ago i seen him again and the 5 lb chiwawa decided to be tuff and stand rite infront of it acting like it was going to bit its face off wich i then seen it was not a bear but a very very large black dog ive been going out to get the dogs pistol and flashlight in hand when the dogs go off in the dark so i could get my fall black bear. well last night it came back and was standing rite in front of my door my large female dog is in heat. when i opend the door i noticed it was so huge and i have never seen a breed of dog that looks like that anywere near that size it was probaly at least 120 lbs from the looks of it, it was dark though. there was no collar so i decided to look around and follow his tracks they are almost 6inches wide. i followed probaly 3 miles worth of his trails through the woods none go to a home but one did go to a bed down in the woods were he slept i grabbed all the hair i could out of the ice. the hair is 5 inches long and shiny black and course. last night i had decided to get my buddies trail cam and put it just right out my door and yep its a very large wolf. i have never even heard of any one seeing one in big lake until i talked to the neighbor and he was suprised i didnt know it was around as he sees it sometimes and knew it was a wolf. he asked me what i was trapping for if it wasnt the wolf i said the fox thats been around and he laughed and told me good luck that wolfs been out here every night the last week maybe thats why my fox isnt around as much now. but has any one seen or heard of wolves in the area.

There are packs on the military base, Eagle River, Anchorage. More or less the same pack. Wolves "Can" have a large range.

I have heard of a black wolf out in big lake over by the creek that we were talking about troutslayer.

hmm. alaskanfever any idea when it was seen there! i will definatly be changeing my traps tomarow for the big boy, im in the middle of the two waterways we talked of so it would make sence there rite there. and too agl4now i am not picking on you at all but i would be very suprised if its the same pack he would have to be sick thats one hell of along ways even from er to my place and i know pt mac has its own pack wich would be more like it or even willow. remember big lake is about as far from anchorage as hope is from anchorage and point mac is rite in my back yard im sure it is not a intown wolf even though hes been hanging out at my house.

Back in the mid '90s I saw a white wolf in the forest about 2 miles behind Big Lake while moose hunting. It was a long time ago, but they're certainly in the area. There are few places in Alaska where I'd be surprised to find a wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    and too agl4now i am not picking on you at all but i would be very suprised if its the same pack he would have to be sick thats one hell of along ways even from er to my place and i know pt mac has its own pack wich would be more like it or even willow. remember big lake is about as far from anchorage as hope is from anchorage and point mac is rite in my back yard im sure it is not a intown wolf even though hes been hanging out at my house.
    I have flown that maybe a thousand times. Straight line it is not that far from Base to Big Lake. Long long ago when I was homesteading up Windy Creek off the Denali Hwy. F&G put collars on about 15 wolves, and Al Lee tracked them for several months with his PA-18. When the study was done they decided to move all they could fine over to McGrath, now that is about 115 miles line of sight. One wolf never returned, 12 were back with-in about 48 hours, and the other two showed up two days later.

Because they can't fly, their route most likely covered about 145 miles plus miles. So they decided to kill them, they only found 13 (remember they had radio collars). They were in the new "Jet Ranger" when they were refueling at the Susitna Lodge, I caretaking the lodge, there was a spark, the "New" Jet-Ranger and 13 dead wolves got cremated. Would have been about 1974. So no you are not picking on me. Al Lee would come up to my place for coffee. About 15 years later I held my friend Al Lee at gun point for 2 hours, with my .458 Win. Mag. at his belly. But that is as they say a different story.

I've only seen 2 wolves since i've been in state but one was well inside the city limits here in Kenai, night to far from the back yard I bought here! Occasionally when I let my 3 dogs out they go nuts, its always been in the summer so i've never seen tracks but I assumed bear or wolf or...

Default big lake area wolves

There is no way that there isn't wolves out there! I have seen the pack to the north that roams much of hatcher pass all the way to Sutton and beyond. Another pack starts around kings river, at least I am told it a different pack. When the mother load was open the guy working up there would see wolves regularly and a decade ago at my uncles house we saw a whole pack from his dining room window in the neighborhood across from the yellow store at the Palmer/Wasilla Fishhook junction. Someone around here trapped one way out Knik in the last couple years as well.

I called one in 2 winters ago, to far for a 22 to shoot though! I see their tracks every year a male and a female
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Its been years since I seen the pack, but I know we use to have a pack move through our back yard. We are also right in the middle of "town" so to speak (Those who know Biglake know what I mean lol). There is an old road that hasnt been used in many years that they use to run. I found several tracks that were wider then my hand and were definitely canine. I never seen them but my brother has. He actually witnessed 10 of them ( He lost track at 10) actually drag one of the neighbor dogs silently into the woods. He said it was the scariest thing he ever witnessed. He said the dog was barking and whining while trying to fight back. All the while he said the wolves never made a sound other then their feet moving on the ground. This happened no more then 50 yards from the end of our driveway in the middle of a decent sized neighborhood. My neighbor along with my brother also witnessed them up the road from us twice in the car. We also have a totally different neighbor who also had them running through her back yard during this time also.

Its been at least 5 years since we have seen them in the neighborhood but im sure they are still around, and not the only pack out here. I wouldnt be surprised one bit if you had a wolf in your yard.

Yep, just like the coyote, wolves learn pretty quick about where an easy meal may be found.
    "Grin and Bear It"

found a single set of tracks on friday between big lake and point mac
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

just curiouse furfishgame was the toes closed or open? not questioning your skill just want an answer for myself as i usualy got to be kicked in the teeth to know its real lol. listen to every one and take it all into your own educated knowledge to become a much better idea or answer, even idiots got good ideas! look at me lol. the size of track to an exact if you got one would be sweet im just curiouse if its the same one or his brother as he has been through here at mile 2 point something big lake road every night and dunno how far he would go. and was it back in the farm area down the road on the right at the four way at the end of big lake road i do know of alot of critters there and would love to get with the ranch owner on trapping it though i bet they wont let you hence all the critters

just curiouse furfishgame was the toes closed or open? not questioning your skill just want an answer for myself as i usualy got to be kicked in the teeth to know its real lol. listen to every one and take it all into your own educated knowledge to become a much better idea or answer, even idiots got good ideas! look at me lol. the size of track to an exact if you got one would be sweet im just curiouse if its the same one or his brother as he has been through here at mile 2 point something big lake road every night and dunno how far he would go. and was it back in the farm area down the road on the right at the four way at the end of big lake road i do know of alot of critters there and would love to get with the ranch owner on trapping it though i bet they wont let you hence all the critters
    what exacially is your question?

um there is a couple questions in there one wich has a clear question mark afterwards its hard to miss as it was my first question and what was the size of the track exactly and where was it. no offense but they are all very easily seen in my statement and as i seen you know what a question mark is. no hard feelings maybe you can pick on me one day or even today as i suck at writeing lol. and now a new question do you do any calling i have a nice set up and maybe we could get together and get a few ive just never found my groove yet or anything for that matter

This article does not talk about the population near Big Lake; however, I found it fascinating to see the collared track of a lone wolf and just how far he actually traveled before its death.

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...ring-are-over?

um there is a couple questions in there one wich has a clear question mark afterwards its hard to miss as it was my first question and what was the size of the track exactly and where was it. no offense but they are all very easily seen in my statement and as i seen you know what a question mark is. no hard feelings maybe you can pick on me one day or even today as i suck at writeing lol. and now a new question do you do any calling i have a nice set up and maybe we could get together and get a few ive just never found my groove yet or anything for that matter
    The tracks looked like dog tracks, only about 4 or 5 inches wide, the toes looked like toes. It was at my trap line sorts kinda where burma and big like connect only west 5 or 6 miles......

very similar spot as i thought close at least and i was asking if the toes were open or closed due to the fact domestic dogs have closed tracks like a fox and wolves tend to be very open 90% of the time but at 4-5 inches id be sure as well it was a wolf hard to get a domestic dog track that size if ever being wild dogs have almost twice the foot print for weight thanks furfishgame