Thread: Lost Caribou on Flat lake/Big Lake

Default Lost Caribou on Flat lake/Big Lake

http://flatlake.com/

Scroll to the bottom of the page and there you will see a caribouthat was seen on Flat Lake/Big Lake. Man is it lost

That's crazy!

Default Lost Caribou on Flat lake/Big Lake

That's new! I have seen a few in Hatcher pass years ago but only on the north side of the road. Maybe it heard that the Mulchatna herd is looking for new members and elected to migrate!

I heard a rumor that a bunch escaped from an enclosure somewhere and couldnt be captured. I was hoping they were stragglers from the Nelchina Herd...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I heard a rumor that a bunch escaped from an enclosure somewhere and couldnt be captured. I was hoping they were stragglers from the Nelchina Herd...
    Good thing the hunting seasons and bag limits revolve around specific units that animals are in instead of which herd they are from. It's hard enough judging a legal ram or legal moose much less having to go up and ask the caribou which gang they belong to.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Good thing the hunting seasons and bag limits revolve around specific units that animals are in instead of which herd they are from. It's hard enough judging a legal ram or legal moose much less having to go up and ask the caribou which gang they belong to.

LOL, yup!!! " I'm pretty sure they are Adak caribou officer..."

Cool......."But"......Ahhhhhhhhh......... he lives out there........he's not lost, if he has no peticular place to go.....Caribou are where you find them.........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Cool......."But"......Ahhhhhhhhh......... he lives out there........he's not lost, if he has no peticular place to go.....Caribou are where you find them.........
    That's for sure..........like bears, they can be darn near anywhere....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Old deceased guide Roy Biffel said they used to show up once in awhile above his place by Upper Bonnie Lake in the Matsu Valley and a friend of mine found and old antler in the Eagle River Valley. If a goat can show up in the garage of some one in Kasilof about any thing is possible. We have had grouse, hare, coyotes, caribou, moose and black and brown bear at our place in Kenai. Cats don't hang around here much.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    If a goat can show up in the garage of some one in Kasilof about any thing is possible.
    What...???....Please elaborate....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

That's right. At my age time goes by fast but a check with F&G will reveal the year..I believe a seach of the Peninsula clarion woild also give info of a Goat on deep Creek beach, maybe late 70's early 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    That's right. At my age time goes by fast but a check with F&G will reveal the year..I believe a seach of the Peninsula clarion woild also give info of a Goat on deep Creek beach, maybe late 70's early 80's.
    Roland, I think it was only about 10 years ago, maybe a little less when the goat was roaming through Kasilof.

Quote Originally Posted by akmac View Post
    Roland, I think it was only about 10 years ago, maybe a little less when the goat was roaming through Kasilof.
    Yeah, I remember that story. Boy, if a goat gives itself to you by sparring with stuff in your garage, how convenient is that? OK, strike that thought...
    Anyway, ADFG came and got it. I don't remember what they did with it.
    I saw a goat right by the trail between Lower and Upper Fuller Lakes some years ago. Woulda been so easy... OK, strike that thought too.

theres one goat that lives up north of the talkeetna river near the big sue...been seeing one up there for a few years now...but never 2 just one. i remember the goat down there near deep creek too!! gotta love goats.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Or how about the lone walrus who lived in Cook Inlet for years?
    There must be some curious renegade animals who stand out from their ranks and do unexpected things.

The lost caribou is actually a reindeer from the reindeer farm that excaped a couple weeks ago.

I do remember many years ago hunting moose in Hatchers pass. It was getting dark and on the next ridge we could see the silouett of several caribou racks. We would see tracks and scat all over the place. been awhile since seen that again.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    The lost caribou is actually a reindeer from the reindeer farm that excaped a couple weeks ago.

I do remember many years ago hunting moose in Hatchers pass. It was getting dark and on the next ridge we could see the silouett of several caribou racks. We would see tracks and scat all over the place. been awhile since seen that again.
    A couple of years ago I was up there hunting moose and seen a group of 5 caribou. Also seen a brown bear following them. First time I seen caribou back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    A couple of years ago I was up there hunting moose and seen a group of 5 caribou. Also seen a brown bear following them. First time I seen caribou back there.
    Seen a group of around 25-30 up there several years back. Not really out of the ordinary if you think about it, go a little east north east of there and you are on the edge of the Nelchina herd's range.