Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Chronograph...this thing looks sweet...

Default New Chronograph...this thing looks sweet...

Default more info

http://www.magnetospeed.com/collections/frontpage

The concept is good but the short measuring length would lead to decreased accuracy. If one moved it off the barrel, spread the sensors out, it should easily beat out sensing off light shadows. I have to wonder why someone didn't pick up on this earlier - we've had the inexpensive technology in metal detectors for a long time.

One big negative I see is that the device mounted on your barrel would drastically affect accuracy and point of impact so you couldn't test for accuracy and measure velocity at the same time.

Fgure it would also be interesting to use on something like my S&W 4" .500.

Overall- almost anything to replace my POS Chrony would be an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Looks good and easy to use.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'm liking that! Simple and easy to use. I'd be curious on the price and how accurate they are.

That really does look good
    doesn't look like there'd be any effect on accuracy when shooting from a bench,
    with that lightweight reading device on the barrel

I wonder about muzzle blast tho,...how long have those been on the market ?
    I imagine they wouldn't be out there if they didn't have that tested out

Really like the SD card part of the deal also

Did you get a price on that
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Looks like the original model V1 is $275 and the new V2 is and extra c-note. Not cheap! Then again the value of having a Chrono that doesn't require perfect conditions will probably save me in the long run, I just started hand loading this last year and already killed one chrony trying to get readings in poor light.

Here is a thread from another site with test info. Seems that most do see a POI change but minimal effect on group size. With our weather and my limited shooting opportunities I will probably order a V2 to play with next summer.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/ind...opic=3789899.0

I wish it was PFD time again...

fry.jpg
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I feel that POI shift is really no big deal. Make a few more with your same recipe for the few other shots that you'd need to both measure velocity and then remove chrony and measure accuracy. I think like LuJon says, anything that can simplify this process is well worth the extra $$. I just might be buying one of these...

Agreed. POI should be a non-issue. Shoot a couple of rounds first for speed, then take it out off and try for groups, or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I feel that POI shift is really no big deal. Make a few more with your same recipe for the few other shots that you'd need to both measure velocity and then remove chrony and measure accuracy. I think like LuJon says, anything that can simplify this process is well worth the extra $$. I just might be buying one of these...
    Theoretically, you could rig up something so the barrel is resting just barely above it, but that eliminates the advantage of not needing a tripod. With a big enough bench you could do both at once.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Default Do you want one?

I ordered a V1, and due to a shipping snafu I'm going to end up with two in my hands tomorrow. I'll make the second one available to anyone who would like it at cost. FTF cash, Fairbanks. Otherwise I will return it to the company 48 hours from now.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...eed-cronograph
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

iofthetaiga,

Please report back with a review when you have a chance to put it to the test.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    iofthetaiga,

please report back with a review when you have a chance to put it to the test.
    wilco

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    wilco

Ahh, a lingo I understand...

I'm looking forward to your results. Very curious about hanging something on the barrel and it's effect on groups. There is no question in my mind that the system will do a fine job measuring velocity just wondering about it's effects on barrel harmonics and groups.

Perhaps initial velocity testing followed by no attachments while conducting seating depth drills then final recipe velocity testing for drop chart data? I like the way it appears to be portable. It also looks like you can shoot from any position. No worries about chrony tripod set ups.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Ahh, a lingo I understand...

I'm looking forward to your results. Very curious about hanging something on the barrel and it's effect on groups. There is no question in my mind that the system will do a fine job measuring velocity just wondering about it's effects on barrel harmonics and groups.

Perhaps initial velocity testing followed by no attachments while conducting seating depth drills then final recipe velocity testing for drop chart data? I like the way it appears to be portable. It also looks like you can shoot from any position. No worries about chrony tripod set ups.
    Marshall, I'm afraid my report won't provide you much intel about effect on group. Personally, I'm not inclined to worry about trying to measure velocity while simultaneously shooting for group. I'm content to treat those as separate tasks.

I have the thing in hand now and it is quite compact indeed. The CPU easily fits in a shirt pocket, and the bayonet is quite light and about 10" long. The thing I'm jazzed about is that with a little care I can use this in unit in cold weather, and regardless of sky conditions. Better still, I can use it at the indoor range, which I'm looking forward to (it's -42F. here right now).
    #Resist

I ordered a V1, and due to a shipping snafu I'm going to end up with two in my hands tomorrow. I'll make the second one available to anyone who would like it at cost. FTF cash, Fairbanks. Otherwise I will return it to the company 48 hours from now.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...eed-cronograph
    PM sent. I'll take it
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

PM returned.

Looks like martentrapper gets it.
    #Resist

PM returned.

Looks like martentrapper gets it.
    I was planning on getting one for christmas but funds have been diverted. Hopefully they have em available in April so I can get one before summer.

I sure like the idea of that rig,
    hope it works for you guys, let us know

I've got a range now, that almost totally precludes use of a tripod
    My favorite range, closed indefinitely for supposed "Ricochets into the Landfill,... back there some distance away,"
    (how we used it for years prior, is a mystery)

So we're down to one range in Kodiak,...Not conducive to the standard Tripod set-up for Chrony

but, gotta admit, I like gettin' velocity on every round that flies, so splitting up the testing wont' really work for me

Cool Idea, let us know if you can detect any effects on POI
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I have read numerous reports that POI shifts but accuracy seems to be consistent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast