Thread: set lines on long lake

Default set lines on long lake

So quick question i figured i'd ask you guys before ADF&G. I can use sets on long lake mi. 86 glenn for burbs correct since its in the knik arm zone and not the susitna draiage zone where you can only use sets on the susitna and yentna rivers? I scoured the regs and didnt see anywhere that said I couldn't on long. I am 95% sure i can i have just never used sets before is all. oh and i know i have to mark them and check them every 24 hours!
    Thanks!

Burbot sets must be "closely attended" in lakes and other waters, but can be set and left, to be checked every 24 hours, in flowing waters of the su and yetna. That's off the top of my head and current understanding.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

If all else fails Call the Alaska Department of Fish and Game and ask them. Usually they can tell you over the phone pretty quickly from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Burbot sets must be "closely attended" in lakes and other waters, but can be set and left, to be checked every 24 hours, in flowing waters of the su and yetna. That's off the top of my head and current understanding.
    yes for the susitna drainage zone but not for the knik arm zone.

You are absolutely correct! I found that now in my book too after overlooking at least a 1/2 dozen times. This is why I ask these questions.
    Thanks

please don't set set lines in long lake, it has only a small population of burbot and lake trout and gets alot of pressure because its right on the road. Set lines could seriously damage both populations and the way I read the regs are not legal for lakes in southcentral.

Quote Originally Posted by fishermanjake View Post
    please don't set set lines in long lake, it has only a small population of burbot and lake trout and gets alot of pressure because its right on the road. Set lines could seriously damage both populations and the way I read the regs are not legal for lakes in southcentral.
    After finding out I can not use sets. I will not on long lake. I will be putting sets on the susitna near rabideaux creek instead.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Burbot sets must be "closely attended" in lakes and other waters, but can be set and left, to be checked every 24 hours, in flowing waters of the su and yetna.
    Gentlemen, I strongly suggest you all read the definition of "closely attended" in the definitions section of your regs. It's not as simple as the words appear. The only fish and wildlife citation I've ever gotten in my long life was for "unattended lines", it was a $150 fine, and I had to drive a 300+ mile round trip to face the magistrate to pay it (they wouldn't allow me to mail it in, which I thought was chicken manure).

You can literally be sitting right on top of your burbot "sets" and be fined for "unattended lines".

To be "closely attended", YOU MUST HAVE A STRIKE INDICATOR. This means there must be some way for your gear to indicate to you that a fish has hit your offering. A rod tip, bobber, tip-up............something. If you lay a tarp or board over the hole and cover it with snow to slow the hole from freezing without some sort of "strike indicator", you can be cited.

I'm sorry to bring this news to you all. It's unfortunate, but to live in such a highly regulated society, you must be part para-legal, or you will end up being a criminal.

brian is very correct on the regs i have learned that your general regs for the area can very easily get you in trouble there is a state wide book you can buy wich is awsome but then again its just like he said your gunna end up feeling like your in collage to be a lawyer to truly know your regs. for any one that has owned a true ak regulation book knows the general regs are a bunch of crap. study your regs before you do anything. as i had gotten a ticket for vandalizeing when i cut a dog out of a snare and the guy got in zero trouble for trapping lynx in closed season being thats the only thing you target with the set he had. for no reason what so ever may you touch another trappers gear try to find that in the regs! troopers can be educated in your advantage or truly ignorant for the income of our state and its hard to argue with them. call them 5 different times with the same question you will get 5 different answers if its not a clean cut line yet you can find the answer on your own with many hours of reading and 10 different parts of the book lol

Thanks for that info brain. Good to know.