Thread: 257 weatherby

Default 257 weatherby

What are you opinions on a 257 weatherby for wolf and other predators?

its alot of gun for any preditor but if you plan on shooting a good ways its perfect very flat shooting and consistant just dont shoot them to close and remeber you can be hunting wolf and see a bunch of small fox instead, if there with in 50 yards with the 257 there gunna blow up. light loads and the rite game such as wolf or coyote is great but fox i dunno unless your calling in a large field. i have a friend who uses a 22-250 and nothing moves after he shoots it but he always leaves huge holes. i would not turn it down though it has its place.

Way too much gun for any furbearer at all but the most insane distances.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Extremely flat shooting all the way into next week. Great sheep and antelope rifle for sure. Predators you are going to have a problem unless you handload some FMJ rounds. Otherwise I think you are going to tear them up.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default 257 weatherby

Thanks guys, I have have an inside line on one, with a nice scope. Sounds like the shotgun is a good bet, but i am worried I will tear fur up with a 12ga. What size shot and choke is common? I got plenty of benellis that I could use. I got a nova that would be perfect, just got to buy the right choke. Wish I could find a slug barrel for that gun!

For 12 ga I use a modified choke and 0000 buck. You can spend some more and get a dead coyote choke tube and use heavy shot Dead Coyote and have huge success. The show Furtakers has several guys that use and recommend that exact setup and completely fold yotes up at 50 yards.

Sniper, I've never seen it written 0000? I have used 4buck for a long time with full chokes, and it is devastating. I have also used copper plated #4 on fox and if I ever found a coyote dumb enough would use it on him too when he got close. Funny thing, I bought a few boxes of 4buck about a hundred years ago and still have most of it. That tells you how few times I have suckered one of the predators in. Sure glad that old shot does not go bad.
    ARR

I use Hevi Shot "Dead Coyote" T-shot in my Benelli....works pretty darn good!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Hmm, I used Hevi-Metal Heavy Shot duck hunting in my Benelli SBE II and it turned it into a single shot. Same stuff in a Ruger Red Label expanded the brass so much the empties had to be pried out of the chamber. I sure was not impressed.
    ARR

Good for Wolves, especially at long distances. Far too much gun for anything else, especially up close.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

in snipers defence on the 0000 buck shot 0 stands for ought and it would not be called 4buck either. it is actual four ought wich would be represented as 4/0 in some cases wich is exactly as sniper posted just in 0's not ought. just thought id say that. you have been very helpful yourself ak river rat.

we have both Greg...4 buck and 4 aught (0000) buckshot, much larger. Its why when you first put me onto the 4buck I was a little confused....ok ok I'm always confused ha! Hope all is well.

I bought a remington 700 CDL in .257 w-mag strictly for wolves, i restocked it with an H.S. Precision custom painted stock & mounted a weaver 4.5-14 grandslam scope, handload 110grn nosler acubonds for it, figure it to be my main go to rifle when i relocate there, big enough for sheep,caribou,blackbear,blacktails & especially wolves, have had minimal sew jobs on coyotes as the bullet seems to pass right on thru without much violent expansion, word of advice, better learn to handload if you dont already, brass alone is $2 ea, as for fox & lynx its way too much gun, wanna shoot a good fur friendly caliber get a 6mm with a fast rate of twist to stabilize heavier bullets but try to stick with FMJ they will pass through a fox & you will have minimal fur damage.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Extremely flat shooting all the way into next week. Great sheep and antelope rifle for sure. Predators you are going to have a problem unless you handload some FMJ rounds. Otherwise I think you are going to tear them up.
    i put together a 25/06 just for this also.. and .25 FMJ... is alluding my every search.. went with a 117 matchking...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i put together a 25/06 just for this also.. and .25 FMJ... is alluding my every search.. went with a 117 matchking...
    Try a TSX bullet. I'm going to try the 45gr version out of my 22-250 here real soon and hopefully have a field report to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    On Midway Usa's website, though not in stock ... they offer the barnes solids in 257 .... back order ok.

Quote Originally Posted by predatorhuntr01 View Post
    I bought a remington 700 CDL in .257 w-mag strictly for wolves, i restocked it with an H.S. Precision custom painted stock & mounted a weaver 4.5-14 grandslam scope, handload 110grn nosler acubonds for it, figure it to be my main go to rifle when i relocate there, big enough for sheep,caribou,blackbear,blacktails & especially wolves, have had minimal sew jobs on coyotes as the bullet seems to pass right on thru without much violent expansion, word of advice, better learn to handload if you dont already, brass alone is $2 ea, as for fox & lynx its way too much gun, wanna shoot a good fur friendly caliber get a 6mm with a fast rate of twist to stabilize heavier bullets but try to stick with FMJ they will pass through a fox & you will have minimal fur damage.
    What part of the state are you headed to? I've found the 4-16 scope I put on my predator rifle has WAY too narrow a field of view. I'm going to go 2-7 or 2-8 or even 1.5/1.75 after Christmas...