Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats in your pack

Default whats in your pack

so I read a lot of the posts here on hunts and hear all the stories of long cold nights spent on the side of a mountains or away from the tent.. then I read about what to carry for fire starter or the candle in the emergency blanket.. Just curious as to what you carry in your pack when you leave the tent for the day..whether sheep,bear moose caribou or what ever.. For me I never worry bout long nights and my pack remains the same no matter what the hunt as there are certain things in my pack that never leave: about a dozen lighters,a few mountain house,of course first aid kit, including small emergency kit(blanket fire starter stuff,,ect.. aircraft radio/sat phone, My luxery is my coffee so I always have a stove its also good with bullion cubes. and lastly a sleep bag.. I have stayed on the side of a mountain before and and more or less I am quite comfortable.. I also never go anywhere without my pack... the ONLY time I drop it is when I am sure me or my hunter will be making the shot within yards.. On one of my very first sheep hunts I dropped my pack to early and the sheep decided to move so we followed..well we got the sheep but we lost our packs for about two hours..

Default your pack

a couple lighters is definitely a must especially if you are stranded in the late fall it can mean the difference between life and death. my first time being stranded was on a bear hunt a couple octobers ago. i was deep in the back country with a bear and it got dark on me i definitely learned to pack more food as i went for almost a day an a half on a couple candybars and i almost ran out of energy by the time i made it back to my truck

A lot depends on the conditions. If I am by myself, I will carry a bivy, space blanket, extra socks, and stuff to eat, just in case I have to spend the night away from the tent. If I am on a mountain, even with someone else, I carry these items as well. If I am hunting close to camp, I wont take near as much stuff, and sometimes all I will carry is my rifle, optics, and a knife.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I normally have lighter/s, matches, some grub, water, knife, game bags, extra clothing, SPOT, gps, camera, etc.

Had to stay out unexpectedly a few times and never had enough clothing or food but we made it through the night. Though I am sure my wife still thinks I was trying to kill her the one time she stayed out over night with me. Something about crossing glacier streams, no dry clothing, next to no food and me supposedly snoring while she was freezing?

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Something about crossing glacier streams, no dry clothing, next to no food and me supposedly snoring while she was freezing?
    yeah.....you sleepin' like a baby and her freezing to death can't go over too well.........too funny
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Soto stove, mountain house, candy bars, 4 year old NIB game bags, puffy suit, rain coat/pants, knife.

For Spring & Fall bear I carry in my pack:

An extra compass, a gps, AA batteries, head lamp, pancho (space blanket), rain coat, rain pants, a fleece pull over, one large garbage bag, game bags, parachute cord, lighters, extra pack frame pins, a couple feet of duct tape, 1 extra skinning knife, 1 small caping knife, a small steel, a first aid kit, a couple sanitary napkins & a roll of first aid tape in a ziplock, m&m's w/nuts gorp, 4 pilot bread, 2 full canteens, a water purifier, paper towels/TP in a zip lock, small sunscreen, sunglasses, camera, a range finder, 10 extra rifle cartridges, a folding saw, extra pair of socks, rubber gloves, a warm hat, all of my paper work, small note book, a pencil, and a pen. Sometimes a spotting scope.

After this load I'm always amazed theres not a rock or two in there....

I also carry a compass, binoculars, belt knife, handgun, lighter, eye glasses, a phone if it works, and a rifle loaded and with 4 extra cartridges on the sling. If I'm stalking I put the sling in my pack.
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

Two forms of fire starting material. Mag and feral road, at least two MH meals, jetboil, a few protien bars, knife, with sharpner,extra socks, light shelter/space blanket, light rain pants and jacket, pen flares, gps, with extra batteries, water filter and 50ft 550 cordage.
    pretty much have a small survival case that includes most of these items including a few first aid items as well. I repack and ensure they are with me when I leave camp.

total weight is less than 5lbs if that.
    small price for piece of mind
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

A couple of lighters and a firesteel, fire starters. Package of Shotbloks (energy gel cubes) & several protein bars, raingear, tarp, extra knife, compass, gps, flashlight, first aid kit. This stuff is in there all day every day and goes everywhere with me. Hunting adds game bags, extra food, gloves, ammo, parachute cord & binoculars.

Most of the guys are spot on with this. One thing I was told for sheep hunts: "Never leave your sheeping bag behind."

One of the handiest things I carry is an old style poncho, made new. It is ripstop nylon, water proof of course, gromets along the edge. Big enough to make a shelter out of. Light weight enough to not matter. I can collect water, wrap up meat, keep dry....

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Two forms of fire starting material. Mag and feral road, at least two MH meals, jetboil, a few protien bars, knife, with sharpner,extra socks, light shelter/space blanket, light rain pants and jacket, pen flares, gps, with extra batteries, water filter and 50ft 550 cordage.
    pretty much have a small survival case that includes most of these items including a few first aid items as well. I repack and ensure they are with me when I leave camp.

total weight is less than 5lbs if that.
    small price for piece of mind

I've seen Duckhunter01's day pack guys, that is just the first outer pocket. I think he carries an extra Wal-mart in the main compartment.

After a few hunts with him I just started carrying a large soft pillow so he thought I had a heavy load also.
    Last edited by Ralph; 11-21-2012 at 08:18. Reason: spelling

I never leave my pack and always have the following items with me.

Kifaru para tarp with annex.
    TI Goat Bivy
    Jet Boil TI SOL stove
    One wind proof light and one BIC with a candle.
    TP and a couple wet wipe packs
    MSR Hyperflow water filter
    Montbel jacket and pants.
    Rain gear Jacket and Pants
    Kill kit, that includes knives, gloves, game bags, flagging tape, piece of plastic, compactor bag and para cord.
    basic first aid kit with blister care items.
    MH meal, snacks and drink mixes, either tea or coffee.
    Headlamp, even in summer to signal rescue aircraft if needed.
    Sat Phone
    GPS, camera, binos license and tags.
    Water bottle, and bladder bag.
    3 sections of a Z lite pad cut off a the pad.
    Trekking poles
    Hooded jacket
    Beanie, face wrap, gloves and spare socks.

For me especially during sheep season camp is where the sun sets on me. I don't like to waste energy trying to get back to camp only to hike back to my hunting spot the next day. Hunt until dark and when it gets light start again. During moose season I try to get back to base camp, but will still stay put if needed.

If I stay out, I just take off my boots and get into all my extra layers and crawl into the bivy bag.

You never know when you or your buddy may get hurt, take a fall etc.. and being able to keep them warm could prevent shock and save a life.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

my Day pack, consists of a MSR dragon fly, a metal cup, a bottle of water or two, my knives, a lite bivy bag, a couple packs of instant oatmeal, some ramin packs in 1 gallon zip locks seval instant coffees,baggie of candy bars, and some Jerky to add to the Ramin, some cord and hilliberg tarp,

sat phone, and camera.

i have the option of jet boils, but they stay home in the winter, i know that if need be i can use the stove warm under the tarp, and start cold twigs to fire.

over all weight is about 15-18 lbs.. may not be comfy, but will keep me alive.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Rain gear, a metal foil space blanket, two ways to start a fire, my field dressing gear - skinning knife, gloves, sharpener, that sort of stuff, a couple MH meals, the platypus in my pack starts the day with 3 liters of water in it, jet boil with fuel, some tea and some sugar, a little 550 cord. Spare ammunition packed in food saver bags, some energy bars, and one pair of dry socks in a ziplock bag. Hatchet. Camping size roll of toilet paper. Game bags. Metal tea cup and a spork.

Also a spare pair of glasses, my sidearm on my belt and my GPS with a spare battery. I can usually find a pair of handwarmers in there too now that I think of it.

Probably too heavy for sheep hunting, but kinda minimalist for hunting from a boat or ATV I think.

After taking a learn to return course for work I built a couple of small fire starter kits. It's one thing to have a fire tool, but having dry "burst into flame" tender materials at hand makes less than ideal fire fuel conditions easier to handle.

I'll be adding a bear paw designs tarp for next years trips.

Not much else to add.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

In general, I carry some granola bars, water, GPS, clothing commensurate with the weather, knives and game bags.

along with all them things, i like to carry a 80's copy of hustler magazine also in the pack.
    Semper Fi!

For day hikes I carry. Several lighters, 2 knives, 30ft of 8mm cord, led headlamp, wool socks, hat, gloves, couple candy bars, GPS, phone, and 2l of water in the hydropack. I'm sure there's a couple other things I've tossed in, but that's about it. I need to toss in a bivy and a flint/steel starter and I'll be set.

kindda suprised that only a few of ya carry tp... must come back with shorter sleeves....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast