Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doomsday Prepers?

Default Doomsday Prepers?

Just wondering if we have any member here that are part of the preper crews? The thing I was interested in is the shelf life of different foods. Many claim life of 10 to 25 years but in doing some research I'm finding that to get that length you have to have constant temps of 50 degrees or less and that isn't practical in the lower 48. Has anyone found what they consider to be the best and longest lasting products. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I have some of both Wise and Mountain House stored in buckets. Both taste about the same.

As to packaging and how-long I found this link at MH website to help.

http://www.mountainhouse.com/o2.cfm

I found that link via a long (13 pages) thread on the exact subject at http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=245561

Basically the study found around 20% O2 levels in the Wise foods sealed entrees vs less than 1% o2 in the Mountain House sealed entrees.

A Mountain House rep actually participates in the thread.

Amazon prime members can get free shipping on MH. Lots of variety.

For part of your putaway foods, you can just think natural. Buy a bunch of cases of whole grain and both an electric and hand grinder. Whole grain once canned has a 25 year plus life, though I'm not aware of temperature considerations.

Wise food products (not unlike MH) is available in bulk at the 3 bears store too.

And don't forget to store some culinary water too.

For the record I'm not a doomsdayer. Just a boy scout.

Added: Hodgeman posted up while I was. He's right, this might want to live in the survival forum, or GD.

Fascinating subject...but as a matter of housekeeping perhaps a mod should move this to a more appropriate category- not exactly hunting related?
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

All I can say is the C-rats we had in Viet Nam were alot of WWII stuff.Some old enough they had green ball lucky strikes inside. Going on 65 twenty or thirty years is way more than enough for me
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Excellent read.

Canned food lasting a hundred years... who'd have thunk it?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Fascinating subject...but as a matter of housekeeping perhaps a mod should move this to a more appropriate category- not exactly hunting related?
    Yes you are right but didn't really think there was one that would apply and many more participating on this subject here.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Just wondering if we have any member here that are part of the preper crews? The thing I was interested in is the shelf life of different foods. Many claim life of 10 to 25 years but in doing some research I'm finding that to get that length you have to have constant temps of 50 degrees or less and that isn't practical in the lower 48. Has anyone found what they consider to be the best and longest lasting products. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.
    You might just consider replacing the old stuff with new and improved stuff every ten years or so ............................

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    All I can say is the C-rats we had in Viet Nam were alot of WWII stuff.Some old enough they had green ball lucky strikes inside. Going on 65 twenty or thirty years is way more than enough for me
    I think the shelf like of C-rats is determined on when the can rusts through, the Army fed me C-rats in the mid 80s and I wouldn't be surprised if you could still find some in a warehouse somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    You might just consider replacing the old stuff with new and improved stuff every ten years or so ............................
    I rotate food stock. When I buy a case of (say) Baked Beans, I use permanent magic marker and write BB11/12 on each can. (Baked Beans November 2012). What really sucks is if the labels are off, and you don't know if you are opening a can of "Black Olives" or "Extra Hot Chili".

Every trip to LosAnchorage I try to pick up 2-3 #10 cans of Mountain House (or equiv.) of strawberries, beans, stew, milk.... what ever I can find. It is all stored in a Deacon's bench and I probably have a months supply in there, just in case. On a boring Saturday I break it down into hunting meals for sheep hunting or camping trips into vacuum sealed bags. That way when I plan a hunt, I usually have enough meals already laying around.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

My husband and I call ourselves Doomsday Predators. We watch these people on TV and then we know who to raid for food and supplies when the day comes.
    What we have learned so far:
    1. the further Northeast you go, the less armed they are
    2. the more obese they are, the better the food
    3. don't mess with Texans. Not only are they really well armed, they really like explosives

If the SHTF, we're going to be pirates off the New England coast.
    Fly fishing makes me herl

While we are not "doomsday prepers" my wife has taught classes on food storage. She talks about after her Grandmother passed
    they were cleaning out her food storage. They found 30 year old canned peaches that were as good as the day they were canned.

Basically her philosophy is:

Store what you eat.
    Eat what you store.
    Can it yourself.

Main points being donít store stuff that you donít like or is hard to prepare. What are you going to do with 100 lbs sack of beans that need water to soak and power to cook to be edible? On the other hand if you like beans can them. Now they are soaked, cooked, and you can eat them cold right out of the can, no power or heat needed.

Late fall or early spring we can most of the food in the freezer. No more freezer burnt food. It adds to our food storage and cleans out the freezer for the upcoming fishing / hunting season. And frankly I think some canned food tastes better. Meats for example, canned with the seasoning, is marinating until the day you open it.

Enjoy

Being as how at any time Anchorage can get hit with another major quake, people here need to have at least 30 days of stuff. It's not as cool as doomsday mental issues. Just another Wednesday.

I watched a couple of shows last year and quickly figured out most those folks didn't understand the real problems they will actually be facing. Even the ex military guy could be over come in his bunker in a few minutes thanks to his poorly thought out plumbing system.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Being as how at any time Anchorage can get hit with another major quake, people here need to have at least 30 days of stuff. It's not as cool as doomsday mental issues. Just another Wednesday.

I watched a couple of shows last year and quickly figured out most those folks didn't understand the real problems they will actually be facing. Even the ex military guy could be over come in his bunker in a few minutes thanks to his poorly thought out plumbing system.
    Exactly.. I have a large family to provide for. Involves many different means and methods. Dehydrated food is a small avenue for my stash.
    I did splurge and picked up one Lifestraw per person in my group. Far from only means of purifying water but is pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    While we are not "doomsday prepers" my wife has taught classes on food storage.....Main points being donít store stuff that you donít like or is hard to prepare.
    Lot of good stuff there...I don't consider myself a Doomsday Prepper but this is still Alaska and we get all manner of inconvenient events from earthquakes, weather, to you name it.

I am a homecanning freak... I love it. Like a science experiment I get to eat...plus I get total control over what goes in the jar unlike commerically processed food. Before I invested in a huge pile of freeze dried I'd certainly invest in a decent canner, some jars and a Ball Blue Book or Encyclopedia of Country Living to break it all down. You'll store more, eat better year round and be better off for it IMHO. Heck, I had some frozen salmon filets I turned into 20 half pints of smoked salmon last night in just a couple of hours while I watched a movie...too easy.

I eat freeze dried sparingly on some hunts due to weight...about 1 a day is all I can handle and I try to not eat that much if I can help it. Learned the hard way how hard on your system they really are...can't imagine eating 30, 40 or more days of it. The great thing about home canned food is it's basically stuff you already eat now....wife's moose stew, smoked salmon, spaghetti sauce, vegetables from the garden, fruit you buy at Sams on the cheap- it's all doable.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I think if by 10-25 years you haven't found some other means of food besides off the shelf in your bunker there probably isn't much hope of surviving

SE2COLD, great point!! Where is the rep button on this tapatalk app!

+1000 on the home canning, preferably from what you have in your garden, what you caught fishing, what you foraged and what you hunted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast