Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heater?

Default Heater?

I have been using a propane heater to keep the ice hut warm. It keeps it warm but I hate how much moisture it puts off. Anyone out there use something different? I was thinking maybe a electric heater since I have a little EU2000 generator. Would the heater be comprable to the btus of a propane heater? How do you guys keep the hut warm?

Propanes down fall is moisture. Try putting a tarp over the top of ur portable it will work we run direct vents in our hardsides

I am starting to re-think the electric heater. Won't be efficient enough to risk having it around water. Does anyone have any other ideas? I would love to somehow route a stack out of a quickfish so I could use wood or diesel.

What would the tarp do akdube? Just hold in more heat?

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post
    I am starting to re-think the electric heater. Won't be efficient enough to risk having it around water. Does anyone have any other ideas? I would love to somehow route a stack out of a quickfish so I could use wood or diesel.
    I saw a large Quickfish last year that was retrofitted with a wood burner and stack. Seemed to work pretty well.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I use a kerosun kerosene heater on low in a quickfish six even in the coldest weather it is still flip flop and shorts weather inside.

Does the kerosene heater put off a bad smell chansen? I haven't been around a kerosene heater but I would imagine it would smell somewhat like diesel?

How about a propane heater with a vent/chimney? I use a little nu way stove in my arctic oven with very little moisture problem. My .02
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

The big thing with kerosene heaters is make sure the wick is properly adjusted. When burning properly no smell and better fuel economy. Cant beat kerosene at -40 propane is a fight to keep from freezing up even with the bigger tanks.

Its an insulator it keeps the top on the shack warm enough to let moisture through it. We do it at - 25 and it works great

So just stretch the tarp then stake it out? I will definitely give that a try this weekend! Thank you!

Chansen- thanks for the info I'll keep an eye out for one on CL.

We rest it right on the hut bungie to bottom

i use propane but i found as usual the ice itself is a huge problem in a portable as the floor is open and when you use any heater a little ice melts you get moisture and a chill from it. what i use anymore is a peice of foil bubble wrap with outdoor carpet and a tarp on the botton and its duct taped together and i get no moisture and it stays 40% or more warmer, and it also keeps your propane from freezeing due to sitting on the ice. be careful if you use any thing like carpet on the ice as some will freeze into the ice and you will spend a day chiping and cleaning your mess as i did if you dont prevent the carpet from touching the outdoors with something like a tarp as well as stakeing it. a tarp is one huge ice skate but an insulated floor does wonders in every issue stated so far with just my little mr heater i stay in my shorts at any temp on low!

You might be interested in making your own heater cooker. check out my post on the make it yourself topic in this forum its called make your own heater cooker. I think its on the second page. I have two of them in ice houses and they work great. I am in the process of making one for an ice fishing tent.

fishtales-
    How did you poke the stack through the tent? I would have made one similar by now if could figure out a good way to vent the exhaust.

fishtales-
    How did you poke the stack through the tent? I would have made one similar by now if could figure out a good way to vent the exhaust.
    I baught a stove jack on ebay it was 25 bucks I still need to set my tent sled up and find a spot to sew in the jack then run the stove pipe through it.

A​laksa tent and tarp should have them. They might even sew it in for ya. Worth asking anyways
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I am still worried a standard stove jack for a canvas tent would melt through a quickfish.

I am still worried a standard stove jack for a canvas tent would melt through a quickfish.
    I know on my Nu-Way, that the pipe is not all that hot above the dampener, I can just about hold it with my hand. I would not be worried at all.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Ak tent and tarp has fire resistant material on hand if that they make Arctic Ovens and other shelters out of. Maybe have them cut out a 1'x1' square and sew in the fireproof material with the stove jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast