Thread: lake louise location

Default lake louise location

Hey guys, headed to lake louise on friday. Ive ice fished it before but didnt do so well. Any tips on location to catch some lakers. Also, Ive found the adfg map but is there a large map of lake louise i can purchase. Any other tips would be appreciated but a general location would be great. Also, how much snow is on the lake and are people driving on it yet? thanks a ton
    NRA life Member JVJ

Driving with what? If you plan to take a vehicle out there, I would like to know where and when so I can make a fail video.

Snowmachines are traveling the lake. The highway us marked, but not groomed. It is safe to haul freight. I hauled a couple thousand pounds last weekend.

Directly in front of LL Lodge to the left is Army Point. If you go there you will see where people have been fishing.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

How much snow is on the lake?
    NRA life Member JVJ

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    How much snow is on the lake?
    http://www.lakelouiselodge.com/weather/index.htm live webcam! appears to be a bit of snow

It's not thesnow you have to worry about itís the overflow and pressure ridges. The overflow is so bad that it is over the hitch on my snow machine. I donít remember so many pressure ridges as there is this year. The ice is vary uneven for what ever reason in one spot it is 12 inches and in another it is only 7 inches.

The snow and ice conditions is this you have 7-12 inches of ice, under 7-12 inches of overflow under, 10 inches to a foot of snow; that is a lot of weight on the ice, place a truck on top of that if you make itthat far and who nose how it will turn out.

Sounds good, just seeing if there's enough snow to run my sled. Sounds like I'm going that route
    NRA life Member JVJ

Is it worth bringing the sled out and running the lake or just walking onto the lake and fishing closer?
    NRA life Member JVJ

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    Is it worth bringing the sled out and running the lake or just walking onto the lake and fishing closer?
    I would still take your sled, it is a big lake and I always say that it is better to have it than wishing you had brought it. As far as fishing locations this time of the year try around the islands or along some of the bay entrances. I have found fish all over the place no real stay warm

Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    It's not thesnow you have to worry about itís the overflow and pressure ridges. The overflow is so bad that it is over the hitch on my snow machine. I donít remember so many pressure ridges as there is this year. The ice is vary uneven for what ever reason in one spot it is 12 inches and in another it is only 7 inches.

The snow and ice conditions is this you have 7-12 inches of ice, under 7-12 inches of overflow under, 10 inches to a foot of snow; that is a lot of weight on the ice, place a truck on top of that if you make itthat far and who nose how it will turn out.
    That sounds much worse than last year! Must be the rapid ice making and then a bunch of fresh snow on relatively new ice... Hopefully it will not stay that way all year

Was wondering if there was any update over the cold weekend from those that were up there. Any fish being found at all? One would assume theat there is plenty of ice, how is the over all lake system including Susitna?

I was up for the weekend. Fish are being caught.

Pressure ridges are around and some are 4 foot tall. Some go for a mile or more. Don't go crazy fast unless you know the area is clear. You hit one at speed and you are gonna launch to the moon.

Overflow is all over. Never pull a cargo sled until you have made the trek without one or are on an established trail. a foot off the trail and you may be in a foot of water. Don't speed across the frozen overflow. Your machine may grab hard and throw you. It is rough and would hurt.

Trails are marked, but not groomed. They are a bit different than last years, but go the same basic routes.

The cold is making it hard to start vehicles. Be prepared to put a weed burner in a piece of stovepipe for a couple hours. Have a tarp to put over your truck to hold in some heat. Use fuel conditioner. A small gen set to plug in and even a battery charger.

Use red heet in your snow machines! Use yellow sparingly if you have icing problems. Buy fuel at known good locations. We got bad fuel 2 years ago in Palmer and it almost ruined the weekend. Fuel line, pump and carb icing were problems for many last weekend.

LL Road is a bit rough. Some heaves can launch a trailer.

I saw lots of bou sign, but no bou. Lots of beds. Even along the Glenn Hwy.

Ice fog has been worse this year.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Dirt thanks for the update, sounds pretty nasty... I'll wait till it hopefully warms up, though I love early ice. What's with all the overflow? I completely understood last years issue, but this year I figured it was freeze hard and fast and light snow wouldn't be a problem. Guess all the pressure ridges are creating gaps...

One thing is for sure, all that makes for more difficutl fishing, ahh just part of the adventure.