Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: an Ole' Winchester 30-30, what's the story on this one, a classic, right ?

Default an Ole' Winchester 30-30, what's the story on this one, a classic, right ?

Have a friend with one rifle, an old Winchester 30-30
    and she's asking me about reloading for it, to be used for the standard AK freezer stocking
    Deer, Caribou, Moose, etc.

I don't know any more about it yet, but seems I've heard a lot of "Lore," about this caliber
    maybe from Deer hunters down south,...which is not bad, about what it'll be used for here I imagine

My question is, "If you had one, would it be sitting in the safe, hoplessly outclassed by others
    or could it be,...
    Your Old Favorite, the one with the blueing wearing off in places for all the use in the woods ??

and of course, fun to reload for,...??

I'll get more details later, but I think it might be about 30yrs old or so, and in clean and fine condition
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I'm not much of a safe queen kinda guy. I count my 30-30 as my "coolest" gun. It's a 1927 '94 saddle ring in 30 WCF. Part of it's coolness is the blueing is worn, and it needs some new wood, but the bore is clean, and the action tight.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Well aint no doubt it will kill stuff and fill a freezer! Shes a tad light for bear country but at one time was the go-to powerhouse and if you hit the bear right its enough. Would be an exalant blacktail gun down there and is what Id pick for that job if rifle hunting.

Reloading, get some 4895 and have fun with all manor of FP and RN lead and jacket bullets in the 150g range.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

my 30-30 has done over 50 years of hunting. It did turn into a dust collector when I moved up here as I don't trust the sufficiency of power in bear country. Now the boy shoots it after the 375 Win rebore, but practiced with it when it was a 30-30. Not much a 255 grain barnes original won't do. The model 94 reigns supreme where I come from, it just needed a little help in the bullet size dept. Even on a 150 yd shot, the killing power is impressive:

Reload her some 170gr. and let her enjoy it.Cor-Lokts are good enough
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I am watching for a 16" version in 30-30 for my wife - she is under five feet tall. We are thinking caribou out to 100ish yards, moose in a bit closer.

Lt Billy Mitchell carried one most of the time when he was up here 1900-1903ish and according to his book/journal/autobiography killed quite a bit of stuff with it, though he also carried a 30-40 Krag in bear country.

I love my ancient 30-30...here's mine in the hands of it's 4th generation hunter.
    evan30-30.jpg

The 30-30 (IMHO) kills completely out of proportion to it's meager paper ballistics if not abused and used beyond it's reasonable range. I agree with Mainer- it's a bit light for big bear country but it's been here since the beginning and at bayonet range I'd take mine over any handgun made. For deer, caribou and moose if you get close enough it'll work fine and lots of black bears have been tipped over with one too. I'd imagine the only thing down in Sitka deer country I'd not like about it is keeping the rust at bay.

Can't say I reload for mine as factory rounds for these were perfected well before WWI and often suffer much when "improved". Given the reasonable price they're usually found at- not much economy in it either. If you just want to though- there's no harm in it. Mine likes any old plain vanilla 170gr FN load you care to put in it.

Here's a piece I wrote a few years back after finding a 30-30 case in a pretty bizarre spot...
    http://hodgemansoutdoors.blogspot.co...ely-thing.html
    Last edited by hodgeman; 11-20-2012 at 14:07. Reason: added link
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Reload her some 170gr. and let her enjoy it.Cor-Lokts are good enough
    Ditto, although I like the 150gr for deer myself.

If I lived in the "deer woods" where shots were 150 yards or less, and I could take several deer a year, why would I want to use anything else but a 30-30? Affordable rifle with affordable ammo and a full freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    If I lived in the "deer woods" where shots were 150 yards or less, and I could take several deer a year, why would I want to use anything else but a 30-30? Affordable rifle with affordable ammo and a full freezer.
    Right On guys,...this is what I was hoping to hear,....gotta say, I Had A Feeling, but this sounds pretty good

Appreciate the reloading tips also,...Im addicted enough that I'll be messing around with that whether it's economical or not

(and, Hodgeman, well done on the blog there, interesting read on the 30-30 casing, out on the Aleutians, mystery)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

My dad has a beauty in 32 special he still uses down on the farm in Wisconsin......I grew up using that thing and loved it. This fall I picked up a 1970 model in 30 30 for blacktails. Technically the 32special is mine but somehow it never leaves dad's gun closet......hmmmmmm. Either way, with what southeast dishes out to a gun I didn't want his 1949 cherry gun getting drug around the hills. So the 1970 shoots and chambers and carries the same, and for what i got it for, I don't cry at how it gets abused slung across my back, rained on, bashed into brush, and handled with sweaty wet hands.

That said, if the thing was a beauty and a pre 64.....I would have a hard time putting it in a wet climate hunt, but if it's already got some "character"....let her rip. If it's post 64.....let her rip, list price is pretty low unless it's absolutely minty.

I killed my first deer with this ole gal, she don't get out of the safe much anymore. But, I will most likely own her as long as I'm around. Me and her sure did have some great times back in the day in Louisiana.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

About 15 years ago I decided to clean my FIL's .222 Winchester. It fell apart in my hands. He had bought it brand new too. To say he was bummed would be an understatement.

Later that summer we were in Anchorage at Turpin Guns and Ammo where he bought a Winchester 94 .30-30 that was made in early 1953 according to Winchester. He paid $100.00 for it. He was so tickled he was giggling as we left. That fall he was rounding a small island downriver and saw a moose just standing there looking at him. He dropped it with one shot behind the head. He was happy again. He has gone on to a better place, but I still have his .30-30.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I think I would be safe saying the 30-30 is the most inherited/passed along caliber in history. And probably will be for a long time.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Two of my favorites are the 30-30 and .35Rem. Both will kill any moose that ever walked. Is it a 400yrd gun?? NO but then its all about getting close. When the 30-30 came out it was considered a real power house. It is still as good a gun as it was when it was introduced. Use it what it is meant for and put the bullets where they need to go and it will more than do the job. When i am hunting the woods and areas where shot will be within 150yrds i always grabed my .35rem. Now my eyes are not so good any more with iron sights so i stick with a scoped rifle but i shot a ton of game with my .35Rem. The 30-30 in the boiler room of a Moose, Caribou or deer and you have some meat for the freezer. There is a reason it has stuck around for so long. They are also a dream to carry and quick to the shoulder.

By the way dont worry about paper ballistics. None of the animals that i shot with my 30-30 and .35Rem could read.

straight-wall that 30-30 case and you might live after a bear incident. Leave the nostalgia in deer country, or the shooting range. With that said, I did shoot my first moose with the 30-30.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Two of my favorites are the 30-30 and .35Rem. Both will kill any moose that ever walked. Is it a 400yrd gun?? NO but then its all about getting close. When the 30-30 came out it was considered a real power house. It is still as good a gun as it was when it was introduced. Use it what it is meant for and put the bullets where they need to go and it will more than do the job. When i am hunting the woods and areas where shot will be within 150yrds i always grabed my .35rem. Now my eyes are not so good any more with iron sights so i stick with a scoped rifle but i shot a ton of game with my .35Rem. The 30-30 in the boiler room of a Moose, Caribou or deer and you have some meat for the freezer. There is a reason it has stuck around for so long. They are also a dream to carry and quick to the shoulder.
    I love my 30-30s. Thanks for the encouragement.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The farther you get from Los Anchorage and the military bases, the more 30-30s you'll see. I still take mine out every year. It is the only rifle I use for bear baiting. I also use it for moose hunting from time to time (depending on where/how I'm hunting) and spot and stalk bear once in awhile. I used to shoot 150 gr. Silver Tip factory loads. The last few years I've been shooting 170 gr. Interlock hand loads.

An old guy I used to hunt with used nothing but a 30-30 to kill moose for at least 40 years.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I love my ancient 30-30...here's mine in the hands of it's 4th generation hunter.
    evan30-30.jpg

Here's a piece I wrote a few years back after finding a 30-30 case in a pretty bizarre spot...
    http://hodgemansoutdoors.blogspot.co...ely-thing.html
    Nice article there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast