Thread: Deep Fried Turkey

Default Deep Fried Turkey

Deep Fried Turkey is quite a treat. IMO, its the only way to cook a turkey to maximize flavor and moistness not to mention short cooking time. For those of you whom have never tried it, it's worth the hassle to go through to cook one. If you have never done it or have done it wrong in the past years by doing it in your garage or on your back deck, I recommend you to watch these videos.

Never try to cook a frozen or partially frozen turkey.

Always pre-measure the amount of oil you will need by putting your turkey in the cooking pot and fill it with water until the bird is submerged, mark the water level, add oil and remember to pat dry your Turkey before slowly lowering it into the fryer being ready to lift or or remove it in case of possible overflow of oil.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/o...afety/turkeys/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4FfahAfIXA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2ynm...eature=related

What sucks is the cost of peanut oil these days. It takes at least a "box/container" of oil to fry one and those are running over $50- these days.
    That said....they are good.
    Try deep frying a moose roast after injecting it.....you'll LOVE it.
    Seared and crispy on the outside and rare in the middle....MMMM-Good!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    What sucks is the cost of peanut oil these days. It takes at least a "box/container" of oil to fry one and those are running over $50- these days.
    BK

You don't need to use peanut oil. I've fried many a turkey as well a few other things with other oils. Peanut oil is good if your going to fry other things as it really doesn't take on flavors of what you just cooked, ie fish etc.... I've had great luck with Canola oil and I couldn't really taste the difference between canola or peanut. You can save your oils as well by straining the oil. I use a section of clean pantyhose stretched over a big funnel to catch all the debris from cooking. If you don't over heat your oil, chances are it will not really turn much color. Then once strained, just put it back into a jug and keep it in a cool area. It will keep for a long time. I've used oil 8 months old that smelled fine before use and once up to 350 degrees, its ready.

I've never deep fried a moose roast but I bet it would taste great. I've done a porkloin before. I just bored a large hole through it, length wise with a sharpening steel from the kitchen. Plugged one end with a small chunk of meat and then injected it filling the rest of the hole with my favorite marinade of all time, "Jamaica Mistake" and then plugged the top again with a chunk of meat and deep fry.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    BK
    Sportsman's has the box/container of "Turkey Frying Oil" for $33.

I think its a smaller box than what I pick up at Costco (3 gall I think), thus the lower price....but I could be wrong.
    BK