Thread: Top Ten Fly Rods or so they say

Default Top Ten Fly Rods or so they say

As with any subject matter there are many opinions and as we all know sometimes advertisements come into play however still a very interesting subject and a lot of food for thought.

So that being said from the past to the present enjoy the Links it is the Holiday Season.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/fly...rodtesting.asp

http://troutunderground.com/2009/02/...l-time-period/

http://flyfishing.about.com/od/gear/...0-Fly-Rods.htm

RMM
    BMR

It's also time to start saving those pennies to that there will be enough to buy a new rod before next season. I've just been starting up my own consulting business so I feel that I need to be a little careful about spending.

I've felt that I don't really cast well enough that a very hot, high-end rod would make a difference, and I tend to prefer light, soft rods anyways. I've got a 3-weight and a 5-weight Redington Classic Trout that I love a lot, plus a faster 4-weight from St Croix, but I had such a terrific year last year and was out on the water so often that I'm starting to feel that it might be time to upgrade. Something along the lines of an Orvis 3-weight Superfine Touch, etc.

Well, since my daughter has taken to fly fishing now, and she has also taken to my long time favorite Sage 9' 4 weight, I'm planning on buying a similar rod for myself. Somehow a Abel fly reel snuck into my home and I think I'll buy a Sage "One" rod to go with it. I deserve it!

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    It's also time to start saving those pennies to that there will be enough to buy a new rod before next season. I've just been starting up my own consulting business so I feel that I need to be a little careful about spending.

I've felt that I don't really cast well enough that a very hot, high-end rod would make a difference, and I tend to prefer light, soft rods anyways. I've got a 3-weight and a 5-weight Redington Classic Trout that I love a lot, plus a faster 4-weight from St Croix, but I had such a terrific year last year and was out on the water so often that I'm starting to feel that it might be time to upgrade. Something along the lines of an Orvis 3-weight Superfine Touch, etc.
    I have some higher end stuff and quite a few fly rods, but I really enjoy my cheaper TFO's just as much as the others. I like to spend a little more on the reel anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Well, since my daughter has taken to fly fishing now, and she has also taken to my long time favorite Sage 9' 4 weight, I'm planning on buying a similar rod for myself. Somehow a Abel fly reel snuck into my home and I think I'll buy a Sage "One" rod to go with it. I deserve it!
    Sounds like absolutely the best way to lose a rod, I think. And a very good excuse for a new one.

You betcha, Melinda! If you get Fish Alaska magazine there should be an article about this wonderful "takeover" in January, I believe.

I usually pick it up on the newsstand. Is it the January issue, or the issue that's going to be on sale in January? I'm definitely looking forward to reading it!

I'm not really sure beyond what the editor told me when I sold the article to him. Simply said it would run in the January issue or something like that, but that could easily change. I've got stuff coming and going all over the place and it's hard for me to remain even semi-organized. I usually know exactly what issue my articles appear in when I get a few copies and a check in the mail! :-)

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    You betcha, Melinda! If you get Fish Alaska magazine there should be an article about this wonderful "takeover" in January, I believe.
    My step-son is in the same boat ever since he gave my wife Rose his 9' 6" 5wt. Orvis fly rod for Mothers Day. Rose had a wonderful first summer fishing grayling on the Chena with just this rod.

The only reason she took me was for bear protection and since we didn't see even any tracks (the Mat-Su has lots more bears) I'll probably have to arrange fishing with her. Heaven help me she finds a girl friend to fish with during the week.

I'm going to enjoy showing my David the BlueMoose leads on fly rods. Cool stuff. I always seem to be a decade behind on the new stuff....

I still love the little fly rod Rose had Mike Hudson build me 12 years ago, an 8' 5wt on a Loomis blank. I sometimes wish it was longer but with the cute little Redington reel on it and the new line and the waxed guides... and she gave it to me... well I don't WANT another one right now.... It fits me to a T and I so enjoy using it ever chance I get on grayling....

Happy Thanksgiving all of you fly fisher folk!!
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

Default Top Ten Fly Rods or so they say

What?! No bamboo rods? Blasphemy.

Ok. I feel better now. The best dozen rods ever has bamboo for the top three rods. Phewwwww.