Thread: Some upland fun

Default Some upland fun

Spent the last week chasing these guys around, and all I can say is.....if I could have stayed, I would have. I'm pretty sure I could spend the next several months down there chasing these guys around and never think twice about it. Weather was pretty brutal for the first few days, with tems in the single digits and winds at 30 ish. It was pretty hard on any skin that was exposed, but you cant let that stop the hunting. After the initial days, the temps got nice, in the mid 30's to mid 40's with some wind, but not crazy amounts. It was almost perfect for running dogs. We took two dogs with us this year, including the new pup who just turned a year prior to going down. I was unsure on how she would do in terms of working (quartering) and not running birds that she could see. All the concern was for nothing. The girl did a fantastic job at finding them, rooting them out of the thick stuff, quarters like she was trained all her short life to do it (which she wasn't) and in general, gave me 100% effort all day, every day, for 8 days straight. I couldn't have asked for anything more.
    We make the trip most years, and usually meet my father at SEATAC for the connection to Billings. From there we drive over to North Dakota and begin the fun. My wife has turned into the pheasant hunting nut, I dont think the annual trip is optional anymore....which is just fine with me.

Day one, limits were fast, birds held tight.

Day two was absolutely brutal, as you can see by the color of my face. We ended up shooting limits on pheasant and Huns this day.

Debbie with her pet Hun

Crazy Elli. This girl has moved to first string

One of the things I really enjoy about hunting North Dakota, is seeing all the history that is still present everywhere. I look at old houses and school houses, barns and other things of the past and think to myself that those people that lived during that time were just plain tough. Thats a harsh place to live in something like this......

And there is just something about the prairie. It definately has a beauty all its own.

Thanks for sharing. I'd love to go out west sometime for a hunt like that. I hunt ptarmigan a lot up here but I've never been hunting pheasants.

Very nice! Some of those ND pheasants walking around out in the huge fields of grass can look almost too large to even be pheasants. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

Jim

Geez, and I have not even looked for ptarmigan this year. Oh well, my own doings. Great photos, thanks for sharing,
    ARR

As a kid I pretty much cut my (hunting) teeth on pheasants. I still miss it dearly.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Hunted pheasant growing up! Miss it. I go back to the lower 48 to hunt them with my brother every few years.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Very nice. I just got back from SD and had a very tough time. Decent numbers of birds concentrated on the few fields that produced grain (was a very dry year) and with very skinny cover and late seasons wary birds made for tough hunting. Glad you had a great trip!