Thread: Hunting partner here!

Default Hunting partner here!

Hi everyone,

My husband and I recently moved to Alaska (Eagle River) because of the Air Force. I have been working hard with my bow to gain the skills I need to hunt. I am looking for someone to take me under their wing and teach me the ropes. I am NEW to hunting (at least with a bow) and want to learn the right way. I am interested in all big game especially moose and bear and would really love to tag along on any hunts coming up for the season. Please send me a PM or post here and I can contact you if you'd be willing to help out a beginner! You were all beginners at some point.

Thanks!
    Kelly

Have you taken your Alaska bow certification course yet? If not this will be a great start and also a good chance to meet other hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    Have you taken your Alaska bow certification course yet? If not this will be a great start and also a good chance to meet other hunters.
    You don't need a special Alaska certification course. If you have IBEP certification, that works just fine up here. If you get drawn for a special hunt such as one of the JBER archery hunts, you will need a separate certification that you will get through them at the time (can't be done ahead of time, so no reason to worry about it now).

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    You don't need a special Alaska certification course. If you have IBEP certification, that works just fine up here. If you get drawn for a special hunt such as one of the JBER archery hunts, you will need a separate certification that you will get through them at the time (can't be done ahead of time, so no reason to worry about it now).
    While this is true... the class that I recommended may not be mandatory but was still very helpful to me in learning what to expect about bow hunting up here. The class went over things that I had not thought about while hunting up here also . For example... not being able to use what is considered barbed broad heads up here.

Yea, i've taken the archery certification class/test and did very well. Most of the people that were there taking the test were brand new to Alaska and I am looking for a few hunters that have more experience navigating the regulations and roads. I've butchered animals, but never hauled out or dressed out big game like moose, caribou, and bear. I plan to enter the draw hunts on JBER but don't want to rely on that to get experience.

Default Hunting partner here!

What's your schedule like? I got the dec 15 jber hunt, if our scheds match your welcome to tag along

Hi Kelly,
    Welcome to Alaska. You might want to cross post your request in the womenís hunting section. That section is for women only so I can't tell you what all they talk about. But it wouldn't surprise me if you found some kindred spirits in there.

Enjoy Alaska. I've been here for 32 years and am still loving it.

Kelvin

My schedule at this time is pretty open, as long as I work it around my falconry schedule I'd love to tag along!

Thanks for the offer!
    Kelly

Kelvin, I hadn't even thought about cross posting it. Thanks for the idea i'll go do that now! P.S. my husband and I are loving Alaska so far

Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhawk View Post
    My schedule at this time is pretty open, as long as I work it around my falconry schedule I'd love to tag along!

Thanks for the offer!
    Kelly
    Falconry too? Wow!

In my youth I was friends with a guy who had federal license to come to Alaska and get peregrine eyas from Franklin Bluffs. I was bit by the bug but figured I didnít have the time to commit until I retired.

What birds do you have? What do you hunt?

My wife & I live off the road system in Talkeetna. I've always thought a Goshawk would be just the ticket.

Kelvin

Hey Kelvin! It is definitely a way of life. I love it and will take part in it as long as I can. You are right about the time commitment! I've got a Red-Tail and will mostly hunt hares with it. Goshawks are the perfect bird for the Alaskan environment, beautiful birds!

Kelly

Hello Kelly,welcome to alaska.

I am curiious, do you team your falcon with beagles or other hounds for hares? How about bird dogs to hunt ptarmigan or other upland game birds? I too have always been interested in seeing the magnificent raptors doing their thing. I knew a falconer in Montana before I left, but he was taking a break from handling birds to have a baby with his wife.
    If you do the dog / raptor team I would love to go out with you're watch.
    I have only been here 8 years so I am still learning...and loving it!
    good luck and enjoy