Thread: shrimping on a full moon

Default shrimping on a full moon

does the full moon slow down the shrimping

Thats a good question, but during shrimping months, it really doesn't get dark and if so for very little time. Are you refering to the pull of the moon effecting shrimping, or darkness?

I would be very very careful shrimping on a full moon. The Denizens of the Deep may very well surface to haunt your pots.............be very careful.

i should say less shrimp in the pots with big tide changes do the shrimp move less

I have never correlated the amount of shrimp with the size of a tide, but if I were to guess, I would expect it would be better on big tides because there is more of a scent trail.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Here in Washington State we have a lot less tide than Alaska. Down here where we have derby style fisheries that only last a couple of days and are hugely tide driven. The calmer less tides at slack are way better. Here we use 30 pound pots (Ladners or Eclipse/Stealth). If we can do ours on a slack at 7' tide exchange or less is pretty productive. We are only allowed 80 spots each and when its hot we can get 200-300 in a pot.

We aim for slack tide here as we have a million other people to compete with. Bait has to be top of the line and out do the other 50 pots right around us. We have an out hour window for that day in the Puget Sound. Bigger tides here are less productive. But if there is not much competition around slack tide, it can still be pretty good.

What is your daily limit up there?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishinnut;

What is your daily limit up there?
    We are limited to the number of pots we can use, not the number of shrimp. The season runs April 15-sept 15.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

There's WAY more current to contend with in WA's san juan islands than anywhere shrimp-worthy in PWS...but that's just my experience.

A full moon will slow down the shrimping or window of opportunity. When we target shrimp we target the slack tide of a low current day if possible. If you know where they are they come up off the bottom and swim around during a real slack tide.

We are allowed 4 pots maximum and 80 spots per person. You can see below that the blue line is shrimp up off of the bottom. If you see deep red or yellow with this it will be bait as it has a stronger echo/return. This is a Lowrance with the broadband sounder. This day had 200-300 per pot. We went back to this same exact place a couple of weeks later with a bigger tide and missed the window of opportunity. Its about a 70 mile trailer tow and then a 20 mile run by boat.

We have 30 pound pots to stay put. The last day we didn't allow for the weatehr to change and got into small craft advisory half way out and had to slow way down. We had to pull our pots as they were bouncing dxown the bank to deeper water.