Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How about some thing constructive?

Default How about some thing constructive?

hard water canoe.
    what do you think?

Is that oak? Nice start. Can't wait to see what that might turn into.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Is that oak? Nice start. Can't wait to see what that might turn into.

Does this help what it could be?

it is ash.

You got me oyster. Yes, I should have seen that one coming.

Very nice bend. You steamed them? Sorry if I used the wrong verb there; never done it. Love to see your work in progress though. Thanks.

Hard water as in Ice? Freighter sled for ice and snow? Is this your hard water canoe?

You got me oyster. Yes, I should have seen that one coming.

Very nice bend. You steamed them? Sorry if I used the wrong verb there; never done it. Love to see your work in progress though. Thanks.

thanks familyman,
    I boiled them.

Default so that's what's cookin'

Quote Originally Posted by oyster View Post
    thanks familyman, I boiled them.
    You are a good cook.

first ribs set and riveted

I'll bet your grandkids will have a ball on that...

Quote Originally Posted by budman5 View Post
    I'll bet your grandkids will have a ball on that...
    I think your right budman, especially when there is 3 sets of cousins racing each other all at once.
    Me and mrs Santa can hardly wait.

one down, two to go

Beautiful. You do really fine woodwork sir.

Nice! Simple enough project you don't see many take on. If you can even find one of these today they are big $$. Teach the kids to sled safely as I ending up in a hospital after a fun sat afternoon myself a long time ago. I'll just say I give thanks today I'm not in a wheel chair. Good job and thanks for sharing with photos.

Beautiful. You do really fine woodwork sir.
    thank you, familyman.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Nice! Simple enough project you don't see many take on. If you can even find one of these today they are big $$. Teach the kids to sled safely as I ending up in a hospital after a fun sat afternoon myself a long time ago. I'll just say I give thanks today I'm not in a wheel chair. Good job and thanks for sharing with photos.
    Thanks power drifter.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    I'll never forget the time as a kid when me and 3 other friends of mine got on one to head down the hill. We had decided we would climb up REALLY high on the hill so we could get plenty enough speed.....we'll need it right....because there's 4 of us...??? Well we started down, and plenty of speed we got. But as we picked up speed we realized that none of us knew how to steer the darn thing. We started heading towards all the people walking up the hill with their sleds for another ride. We started screaming....."Get out of the way...!!!" We waved our arms....."Look out...get out of the way...!!!" At the last minute we started to turn a little sideways but it was too late..... the back end of the toboggan started clipping the ankles of everybody in our path that wasn't fast enough.....one right after another. By the time we finally stopped, I looked back up the hill to see bodies strung out all over the hillside.....sounds of moaning and groaning came from everywhere. Needless to say, that was our first and ONLY run of the day....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

very cool...love the simplicity of it.. how did you keep your bends the same...Jig or just the straps...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    very cool...love the simplicity of it.. how did you keep your bends the same...Jig or just the straps...

Hi bear,
    i made this form from some way old plans from popular science, but found it a chore, so I made a single form and used cam straps to hold shape after a 10 minute cooling period. Say the word and I will take a photo of the single form.
    thank you.

What did you cook them in? 4 in Pipe? You got nice even bends without doing the laminate bend. Some times wood can spring back different from one to another steaming. Have you thought of 3-4 runs of uhmw plastic runners on the bottom like they do on dog sleds. Bet they would go faster. Your mold looks great but trust me if you don't like it and don't use it BURN it now. So easy to want to hang on to things in the shop and take up good space.I'm having to work on that now. Looking good!! Photos are always nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by oyster View Post

Hi bear,
    i made this form from some way old plans from popular science, but found it a chore, so I made a single form and used cam straps to hold shape after a 10 minute cooling period. Say the word and I will take a photo of the single form.
    thank you.
    Of course I say the word....please... I just admire the heck out of folks that build things whether a wood sled or restoring an old car. The talents that exist out there are endless. I have worked with a few friends on Kenai building driftboats...building long and recurve bows and always find myself fascinted at the end...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast