Thread: Another good read about a grouse hunt...any good reads out there???

Smile Another good read about a grouse hunt...any good reads out there???

Yep! Along with my usual prayers to God for family and friends, I've begun praying I'll live long enough to get through the next high cycle of ruffed grouse....

Dang! This drought-of-grouse has been going on since at least 2009. There are pockets and spots scattered widely around but not the numbers yet where the forest is filled with birds. I've seen those days but not lately...

I'm ptarmigan hunting now...looking for them too and leaving the grouse alone.

I enjoy hunting books and magazines. My latest Ruffed Grouse Society magazine came in Saturday and Jim McCann has a great short story in it describing a hunt he took with one of Alaska's young people, one of our own local boys here in the Interior. The lad was almost 11....

I love the "Me and Joe" stories. Anymore, I don't care what brand shotgun you use or what size shot you prefer or your brand of dog whistle. I want to hear about the friend you hunted with and how your dog worked and what kind of cover you were in and what you were thinking, stuff like that. Jim's article was a really good read I thoroughly enjoyed.

What kind of stories are you reading this cold winter waiting for temps to moderate?

Oh, another thing. The other day I was out glassing a slope for ptarmigan and saw a raven next to an odd looking object. Turns out the object was the ravens lunch pail. That day the country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch....
    HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

A couple books that I have read are;

Drummers in the Woods by Burton Spiller
    Pheasants of the Mind by Datus Proper ( I knew Datus before he passed away so it was of greater interest to me for that reason)

I cant think of other titles right now, but there are more.

"Fool Hen Blues" by E. Donnall Thomas. I am only a little ways in. I really liked "Long Bows of the North" so I had to read his 'bird' book. A good book, but "Long Bows of the North" was so good it is a tough comparison. I will have to finish before I judge.

Cool. Keep us posted.

I've been reading Spiller's Drummer in the Woods and More Grouse Feather. Both are anthologies of short stories about grouse hunting.

"Last Day" in Drummer in the Woods is a good story.

I will Google both books you mentioned. I like long bows too. Thank vick and welcome to AOF. There are lots of nice folks here.
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

Hey AK Woodsman. No book suggestions. There is a short write up about upland bird hunting on the Kenai Pen in the Fall 2012 Hunt Alaska Magazine. It was written by Steven Meyer. Take care brother.

Hi Joe,
    I read it and liked it. Hunt Alaska Magazine still sends me some issues. Fish Alaska comps us their mag. Great stories. Steve has one in the Ice Fishing issue too. I actually bought a Syclops spoon because of his article. A secret weapon according to his story... The POW issue is VERY cool. Hafta tell you the news on POW later.... PM to you soon...
    AW
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

i thought the asians going out and taking all the grouse from a area a couple days at a time was the problem?
    Semper Fi!