Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any advice on delivering and taking care of puppies?

Default Any advice on delivering and taking care of puppies?

Never taken care of a litter of pups before, momma Malamute is about to have puppies (probably tonight). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

put her in a safe, comfortable cave-like space, which is fairly intuitive. She should take care of most everything else. hope all goes well!

Default Any advice on delivering and taking care of puppies?

Watch her close and get the space set up ASAP! If you don't they will find their own spot. When I was a kid we lost a good couch to that fact! If she is loaded with pups then you may need to help some of them get in to nurse. Be prepared for one or two not to make it if its a big litter. As others said momma will do most of it in the near term.

Yep she will take care of everything just enjoy the experience.
    Always amazes me the way an animals instincts take over and know just what to do, especially for their first time.
    Good luck Mainer and mama....

Don't freak if you see one coming breach (butt/tail/hind legs first). Not a problem in dogs.
    Fly fishing makes me herl

Keep an eye on things, especially early on. Make sure that a puppy doesn't get stuck (pinned) between momma and a wall or else she could accidentally sufficate the puppy. I have heard that some people recommend building in some kind of rail type thing around the perimeter, just a bit above the ground elevation so if a puppy ends up between momma and the wall, the "rail" will keep momma from leaning all the way against the wall, thus leaving a little space for the puppy to be until she moves and they can get out. I don't know how to go about this, just something I have heard.

See if this works:

Attachment 65688

Correction in part 2 of it: Puppy1 allow up to 2 hours of stage 2 (not stage 1) labor before becoming concerned aboutability to deliver.

lot of heavy panting this morning. She's not eating her food which is rare, she could eat everything in the house if you let her. Very restless, digging, scratching and throwing bedding around.

Do "NOT" reach in to do anything with the puppies, She loves you today, but she will take your hand off once the puppies arrive. If you have to remove any dead ones, wear a thick glove. Do not try to pet her.

Thanks AGL. She's shivering now, after only standing/walking for 5 minutes outside. She's been panting heavily since yesterday night, is this normal?

yep...totally normal

Seems that my attachment went invalid.

This is what it was:

STAGES OF LABOR
    Stage 1 Labor is defined as the time of subtle uterine contractions leading to complete cervical dilation. The contractions are not outwardly visible. It lasts about 12 to 30 hours before Stage 2 begins, although some take much longer. Up to 36 hours is considered normal in first-litter females. The female may become anti-social, nest more heavily, quit eating, also may look at, lick, or bite at her belly. May act restless, pant heavily, look nervous, vomit. May see a white or gelatinous discharge from the vulva. May lick at her hind end a lot indicating a discharge is occurring
    Stage 2 Labor Actual visible uterine contractions. A water bag may be seen poking out from the vulva, may see a discharge ranging from clear to pink to greenish. May lick at her hind end a lot because of pain from stretching tissues/head entering the canal. Stage 2 is the actual puppy-producing labor stage, so this stage can last a few hours.

Puppy 1 allow up to 2 hours of stage 2 labor before becoming concerned about ability to deliver.
    Puppies 2 and others occur about 30 minutes apart. May be a delay between 1st and second pup, but rest should start coming out regularly.
    Last pup can be born up to an hour or two after the rest. Not unusual for people to wake up the next morning and find the female has had one more.

Stage 3 Labor Occurs after each pup. Contractions to clean out uterus of residual placental material. Female may rest for a little while before Stage 2 begins again.

When to get concerned?
    More than 24 to 30 hours have passed in Stage 1 labor without progression into stage 2.
    Hard labor in Stage 2 for more than 2 hours without birth of 1st puppy.
    Stage 2 hard labor contractions without delivery of a subsequent puppy.
    Female has passed a large amount of clear fluid without a puppy being delivered within 2 hours.
    A puppy has been seen protruding from the vulva for greater than 15 minutes.
    The vulva discharge has a foul odor to it.
    Blood loss from vulva appears to be extreme.

Check out this link for some good information: http://www.puptopianyc.com/nyc-dog-w...to-give-birth/ The thing I was talking about above would be what they call a "whelping box".

You can find lots of information by just doing a quick internet search for "how do I know if my dog is about to give birth?" or something similar to that.

She wasn't "acting" too pregnant last week chasing down/eating rabbits:

Good luck and lets see some photos of the pups once its all over.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

holy smokes, they're coming now, heard one crying after momma yelped. She's licking and chewing alot.....I can't tell if she hurt the puppy doing so, but I don't hear it yelping anymore.

Default they're heeeeere, yay

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    holy smokes, they're coming now, heard one crying after momma yelped. She's licking and chewing alot.....I can't tell if she hurt the puppy doing so, but I don't hear it yelping anymore.
    That should be normal too. Her (correct) instincts are to remove the sac the puppy arrives within, and then the licking both cleans the pup up, gets his system going in the real world (instead of in-uterine), and then puts the pup on some milk.

There's no choice but to respect her instincts and let her do her job. If emergency, ring my cell phone and I'll help.

Wow! How exciting! Online puppy birthing!
    "Grin and Bear It"

First born, sturdy little fella:

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast